Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Poll: Aurorus or Tyrantrum?
This poll is closed.
Aurorus
50.00%
3 50.00%
Tyrantrum
50.00%
3 50.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Aurorus V Tyrantrum: Pros V Cons.
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Aurorus V Tyrantrum: Pros V Cons.
CyChill
Games Designer

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
12-04-2013, 12:06 PM
So, in X and Y we got introduced to so few new Pokémon. But some, like Trevenant, Aurorus and Tyrantrum, really stand out. Personally, my favourite Pokémon is now Aurorus, or as I call mine: Brourorus. Tongue

Now, I know, boyfriend included, that loads of people went for Tyrantrum. Why? Well for one, it's big, a T-Rex based creature, and unique with a typing of Rock/Dragon, which I admit is nice for a change.

Aurorus on the other hand, is my best friend. Rock/Ice typing is again, unique, and it also becomes the bane of every Water types existence with Freeze-Dry. Plus, it's damn adorable, and it's design just screams "Awesome" to me. Sadly, I know only one other person with Aurorus.

Now, in terms of weakness. Both have advantages over each other, with Aurorus having an Ice advantage over Tyrantrum, and Tyrantrum having Rock over Aurorus. Now, Aurorus, or at least mine, is certainly a special attacker, with a lot of HP. Tyrantrum is a bit more fragile, but physically based. It's a bit of two sided coin.

I picked Amaura back in Glittering Cave because damn that thing is adorable and I love the Ice type, and I figured I might as well get one early. I have not regretted it since.

Granted, Aurorus does have 2 glaring weaknesses. Steel and Fighting. Now, Fighting is something most Fossil Pokémon don't agree with, so we can skip over that, as we expect it now, but the Steel weakness caught me off guard.

Steel Wing actually turned out useful against me. I know, it sounds crazy, but my Aurorus is the only thing, yes, not even Fairy Pokémon, that lost in one hit to a Steel move. Granted, it depends on the Pokémon too, but I do find it ironic how Steel has a better chance against two types from Gen 1 than the type it was meant to be buffed up for.

Tyrantrum certainly has the less weaknesses, but feels a bit more limited in what it can do. Aurorus can have a wide range of moves, including Flash Cannon actually, and Tyrantrum seems to be a standard Physical beasty, with a bit of a limited movepool.

Take your pick really, do you want risk with reward, or play it safe with a bit of a harder time attacking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KqDVNowKU

Design, Create, Innovate
I liek Squirtles
Oi!

PokéDollars: ₪5.34
Registered
12-04-2013, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 04:32 PM by I liek Squirtles.)
Aurorus is adorable, but Tyrantrum is a freaking T. rex. Besides, I needed a physical attacker on my team. Either way, you can get the other one easily by trading.

Plus, it's a T. rex.

Edit: woot 200th post ^^

[Image: 8932f0f7c383e605d91dbbbab8cdd4ca.gif]
Credit goes to mnrART!
*~ASB Profile~*

CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
12-04-2013, 04:33 PM
T-Rex indeed but...I dunno. Maybe it's because it's an Ice type...I just prefer Aurorus. XD

Design, Create, Innovate
smoakdragon
slightly confused cinnamon bun

PokéDollars: ₪1,264.39
Veterans
12-04-2013, 04:59 PM
I definitely see the advantages to both Tyrantrum and Aurorus.

For me it would just depend on my other 5 Pokemon of my main team. If I get Y version, I might include a Dragalge on my team, so I'd pick Aurorous.

I really like Aurorous's ability Refrigerate. Very cool that return and hyper beam can now be Ice type moves. Tyrantrum has two possible abilities, correct? Rock Head, which makes a head smash a very dangerous move while Strong Jaw (is that what it's called?) ups the power of biting moves... The only problem is that Tyrantrum doesn't get STAB from any of the biting moves. (As compared to rock type STAB with head smash and the Rock Head ability.) So I guess it does depend in your preference/team.

[Image: t8q1bp.png]

Credits to Ajax for my signature!
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Team based and gameplay style based. If it fits your team, go for it, if you are unsure, choose if you want to be Risky but Rewarded with variety for Aurorus, or Safe and Less variety for Tyrantrum. It's not like past choice based Pokémon where often, one really outweighs the other.

Design, Create, Innovate
I liek Squirtles
Oi!

PokéDollars: ₪5.34
Registered
12-04-2013, 05:31 PM
What risk does Aurorus present? Tyrantrum presents a huge one with Head Smash if you get it with Strong Jaw (like I did).

[Image: 8932f0f7c383e605d91dbbbab8cdd4ca.gif]
Credit goes to mnrART!
*~ASB Profile~*

CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
12-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Freeze-Dry and various other moves prove very useful, more so than using Fairy Pokémon in my case. Just can't beat good ol' Ice Beam.

Design, Create, Innovate