Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
BW: OU Team help
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

BW: OU Team help
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪1,014.12
Veterans
02-21-2012, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014, 09:17 PM by Hana Song.)
Ok so I made my first ever OU Team last night....sad isn't it? Tongue I'm more of a NU/UU battler though so I guess its not THAT bad...but anyway this is my team that I made in like 10 mins and was looking for some advice, tips, help, and whatnot to help make it better! So here goes.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers @ Storm Drain @ Calm
EV's: 252 hp, 252 sp def, 4 sp att
Earth Power
Recover
Toxic
Ice Beam

Breloom @ Toxic Orb @ Poison Heal @ Careful
EVs: 236 hp, 212 sp def, 60 spd
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Spore
Seed Bomb

Magnezone @ Choice Specs @ Analytic @ Quiet
EVs: 252 hp, 252 sp att, 4 def
Volt Switch
Hidden Power Fire
Flash Cannon
Thunderbolt
(Thinking about switching either volt switch or thunderbolt for signal beam to help with fighting weakness...any thoughts?)

Mamoswine @ Choice Band @ Snow Cloak @ Jolly
EVs: 252 att, 252 spd, 4 hp
Earthquake
Icicle Crash
Ice Shard
Stone Edge

Starmie @ Life Orb @ Natural Cure @ Timid
EVs: 252 sp att, 252 spd, 4 hp
Ice Beam
Surf
Thunderbolt
Recover

Latias @ Leftovers @ Levitate @ Calm
EVs: 252 hp, 252 spd, 4 sp att
Calm Mind
Recover
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power Fire

Well there it is....keep in mind I only made it in like 10 mins so dont judge too harshly Tongue but I will gladly accept any and all questions, comments, and recommendations about and for my team!

Thanks you all for reading!!

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^
Legacy
Resident Metalhead

PokéDollars: ₪25.59
Registered
02-21-2012, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2012, 04:56 PM by Legacy.)
I would like to say that I hate this team due to the match we had XP

Signal Beam on Magnezone wouldn't help with fighting weakness. If anything I'd run Psychic/Psyshock on Latias and/or Starmie, although Latias looks to be the better option in replacement for HP Fire (since you have 3 pokemon who can deal with the typings HP fire is Super Effective against anyway).

Also on Magnezone, the ability Magnet Pull may be an option if you're worried about steel types such as Ferrothorn or CB Scizor (ensuring it's locked into something that won't hurt zone too much) although given this team it's not so much of a worry.

Change Mamoswine's ability to Oblivious (or even Thick Fat if you can without losing any moves), since you don't have hail, thus Snow Cloak is pointless.

I've faced this team and, in general, it's pretty good. Just needs a few tweaks, which I'm sure others will be able to pick out better than I can.

EDIT: You could try Mach Punch over Drain Punch on Breloom, especially since you have Spore and Poison Heal (Spore to stop your opponent, Poison Heal obviously to heal), thus getting your health back relatively quickly anyway. And with one or two bulk ups plus priority Mach Punch, that thing is gonna hurt even more.
ninJAS

Veterans
02-21-2012, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2012, 11:21 PM by ninJAS.)
Omg don't know what I was thinking with Signal Beam... O.o thanks for pointing it out..

And I actually keep HP fire of latias for the inevitable steel type switch in...and dragon pulse has really good coverage anyway. So I figured psychic/psyshock wasn't needed on this set.

I was actually thinking about replacing recover on starmie for psychic/psyshock seeing as mine doesn't tend to survive very long anyway..

I use analytic on magnezone along with specs to do a ridiculous amount of damage...and seeing as how he is not the fastest pokemon ever then this ability really benefits him well..but I also see where you are coming from using magnet pull..I'm one of those battlers who likes to surprise their opponent Tongue but I will take that into consideration.

Yea I will agree with you on mamoswines ability....it sucks on this team....only problem is I can't use ice shard or icicle crash with the thick fat ability...... So yes I will probably change it to oblivious.

Hmm hadn't thought of changing drain punch...seeing as I only put it on the set to increase brelooms survivability but I will also take that into consideration as well.

Thanks for the comments Solitaire you made some pretty good suggestions...along with a very obvious epic fail on my part -_- you'd think after all of my years of playing that I would have paid more attention to my post when I suggested using signal beam to cover fighting.....rookie mistake XD lol but thanks for pointing it out. Oh and I will definitely give your move changes some serious consideration! And would love to have another battle with you very soon! Big Grin

Legacy
Resident Metalhead

Registered
02-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I look forward to seeing what changes you've made in our next battle Wink Glad to be of service.

I'd definitely consider Psyshock/Psychic on Starmie. Psyshock if you wanna deal with Chansey/Blissey in particular (not sure off the top of my head how much damage that would deal on them mind) but either of the two attacks would work for most fighting types.
Smanters
Ghosts are yes

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
02-22-2012, 10:03 AM
I swear you stole my Latias set. That's almost my EXACT set.
Latias is great. Magnezone....no.
You should have a lead with rocks and spikes, or an anti Lead.
Defensive Skarmory with spikes, rocks, Brave bird and Whirlwind is good.

[Image: ChandelureSig.png]
Credit goes to my good friend Dyrozix
Legacy
Resident Metalhead

Registered
02-22-2012, 11:06 AM
^That's actually not very helpful. You haven't really stated what's so bad about Magnezone.

I do agree with him on some level though, you could do with a solid lead/anti-lead. Skarmory isn't the best out there, but if you choose to replace Magnezone for whatever reason then Skarmory is a solid replacement =] Another would actually be Choice Band Scizor, since that thing can obliterate a fair chunk of leads with STAB Bullet Punch, and those it doesn't kill it certainly puts holes in, and is an instant reply to the majority of dragon types that you'll have thrown at you.
ninJAS

Veterans
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM by ninJAS.)
Hmm ok I see the point you both are making with the lead and anti lead but.......where in the heck am I going to put it at on my team??? O.o and Derp if magnezone isn't good would you please share your opinion as to why you think he isn't very useful Tongue because so far mine has worked out surprisingly well...and I like it quite a lot

But so far you both have gave a suggestion for a lead (Skarmory) and an anti lead (Scizor) I also know that A LOT of people use a Ferrothorn for a lead along with quite a few Fortress leads as well....any more suggestions for possible leads and anti leads?? And if you do then please back up your suggestion with an explanation why they are good Tongue

Legacy
Resident Metalhead

Registered
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM by Legacy.)
Sableye =P FANTASTIC Anti-lead, with a million and one options going for it. I can type up a few sets for you if you'd like. But basically Sableye, thanks to Prankster, is the biggest pain in the arse going if you use it right. Imagine something that can stop other leads immediately with Taunt, reduce special attackers stats with something like Snarl, burn physical attackers, paralyse (it think it learns TWave) fast attackers, stopping them in their tracks. Any of those plus healing off the damage with Recover before another attack hits.
Oscar Wilde
Has Dragon Aids

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
There are no such thing as "designated leads," with the advent of the team preview.
Trust me, if you see heatran in the team preview top spot, you won't lead with CB scizor.

The better thing to do is have a team that can handle multiple threats, which you do have.

I'm not a huge fan of Stone Edge on mamo. Put stealth rocks over it. Ice and ground pretty much cover most of what stone edge would.

Also you have a pretty huge Volcarona weakness, after a QD it outspeeds and can OHKO pretty much all your pokemon. The only one it can't, Gastrodon, can't touch it. (Substitute blocks toxic) Also if it is carrying energy ball, it OHKOs Gastrodon. I like Heatran for countering Volcarona, but most of Smogon's counters work.

ninJAS

Veterans
02-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I really do hate stonge edges accuracy -_- but wouldn't I have to change my mamoswines item if I put stealth rock in it's place? I don't see how rocks on a banded pokemon would be a good idea...but I see where you are coming from with the coverage aspect of things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XY: Bug Team 2.0 Joaquin 6 2,049 04-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Last Post by Joaquin
  XY: RMT : Porygon's Doubles Team~ Porygon 2 1,593 02-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Last Post by Porygon
  XY: Rate my Team Fennekin_Fireninja653 6 1,795 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Last Post by tylerg1011
  XY: rate my team danny mul 2 1,353 01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Last Post by danny mul