Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
BW: Stepping Up A Gear (Gen V OU RMT)
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

BW: Stepping Up A Gear (Gen V OU RMT)
Legacy
Resident Metalhead

PokéDollars: ₪25.59
Registered
05-21-2012, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014, 08:58 PM by Hana Song.)
This is, essentially, a team I put together out of the blue in December of last year. I don't remember why or how I built it up, but I DO know that it has been surprisingly successful so far

At a glance: [Image: sableye_2.gif][Image: scrafty_animated_sprite_by_devinwarriors-d38jdou.gif][Image: 601.gif][Image: latios_bw_idle.gif][Image: 468.gif][Image: th_245.gif]

In Depth:

Sableye (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Taunt

Pretty much your typical Sableye lead, and one I use pretty much all the time, because I know it works well.
Ev's are spread out for balanced defences, and thus reasonable bulk across the spectrum.
Recover is mandatory, keeping Sableye alive to continue to be a pain in the neck
WoW is the status inducer of choice, which cripples 90% of physical attackers (the other 10% being guts users).
Snarl is for special attackers, since they HATE having their special attack reduced, then seeing Sableye heal up in front of them. Especially good against Xatu and Espeon, who would otherwise reflect Taunt/WoW, and set up with Calm Mind.
Taunt is for those typical leads that decide to open with Shell Smash/Stealth Rock/Spikes etc.

Scrafty (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

Where would I be without my Scrafty? Custom EV's ensure that, despite being a DDance set, Scrafty can take a lot more hits at the cost of some speed. 3 DDances is all it needs, and with this bulk it is capable of reaching that with relative ease on most opponents.
Crunch and Drain Punch are it's STAB moves of choice, hitting with near perfect coverage, and Dpunch allowing Scrafty to recoup the health it loses when setting up. Ice Punch gives perfect neutral coverage.

Weakness' and who they're covered by:
Fighting - Latios, Sableye
Flying - Klinklang

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave

Klinklang = The reason I made this team in the first place. After seeing somebody sweep with it, I was destined to use it.
Shift Gear is an incredibly great move for Klinklang, doubling it's speed while giving it an attack boost in just one use
Gear Grind is another fantastic move, saying a great big FU to anyone hiding behind a sub or a focus sash, as well as becoming a powerful STAB move.

Substitute is a good way of ensuring Klinklang gets at least one boost behind it before it sweeps away.
TWave was a bit of a filler move since I was unsure what to use. It works in tandem with Shift Gear, making it much faster than the opponent, and thus allowing me to sub relatively safely. Not sure on it though.

Ground - Latios, Togekiss
Fire - Latios, Suicune
Fighting - Latios, Togekiss, Sableye

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios is very much Klinklang's partner in crime. The two cover one another incredibly well. DMeteor is the must have STAB move here, hitting a lot of the metagame for massive damage. The -2 sp.atk is a bummer but it OHKO's most of the time anyway with Life Orb. Psyshock allows me to deal with Chansey/Blissey much easier should I lose Scrafty.
HP Fire is for those steel types that would otherwise screw me over.
Recover is essential for keeping Latios alive, especially with LO recoil.

Ice - Suicune, Scrafty, Klinklang
Bug - Klinklang, Togekiss
Dragon - Klinklang
Ghost - Klinklang, Scrafty, Togekiss
Dark - Klinklang, Scrafty

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Ahh Togekiss. I needed a status healer and you came around. It was either this one or Umbreon (with Wish and Heal Bell) but I opted for Togekiss to prevent too much of a fighting weakness (and because Umbreon is poor in OU nowadays). It's essentially a paraflinch Togekiss with recovery and Heal Bell to support the team. Not much more to say really.

Weakness' and who covers them:
Ice: Suicune, Klinklang, Scrafty
Electric: Latios
Rock: Klinklang, Scrafty

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Scald

A defensive pokemon, and one I have never actually used, I thought I would give the old fashioned CroCune a try. The set is pretty self-explanatory: CM up and heal off the damage with Rest. Sleep Talk to either get another boost, or to hit with STAB Scald.

Weakness' and who covers them:

Grass: Klinklang, Latios, Togekiss
Electric: Latios

So yeah, rate crit and advise.
Blastoise
The Ultimate Squirtle

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
05-21-2012, 12:29 PM
For Sableye, since it is your lead switch Snarl for Night Shade to get the 100 HP.

Thank to Andy ^^. & prepare for tomorrow. I got my sig now I need Wartortle to evolve & pull the greatest prank![Image: pokemon_fushion_9_by_chaosmastermartin-d50jzoz.png]
Legacy
Resident Metalhead

Registered
05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
I may consider that. Snarl has been useful for me though, since it weakens sp.atk, thus weakening the likes of Politoed and other special attackers (and is infinitely useful against the aforementioned Xatu and Espeon, whom I have seen around).
Blastoise
The Ultimate Squirtle

Registered
05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Raikou can learn Snarl & is more of a psychical defence but special attacker but Sableye AIN'T meant for attacking. Also, why don't you put choicedLatios? It could literally sweep a whole team if you baton pass it & put the foe in paralize? Espeon is a good Baton Passer with Calm Mind & can be replaced with Suicune. + you have two pokemon that can learn T=wave.

Thank to Andy ^^. & prepare for tomorrow. I got my sig now I need Wartortle to evolve & pull the greatest prank![Image: pokemon_fushion_9_by_chaosmastermartin-d50jzoz.png]
Legacy
Resident Metalhead

Registered
05-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Okay now you're just throwing things at me and telling me to change the idea of the team by shoving a baton passer in there where it's not needed. Plus putting Espeon in with Latios gives me another dark/bug/ghost weakness where it isn't needed.

Sableye is an anti-lead, and can take a fair amount of hits. I'm aware Sableye isn't meant for attacking. He's there for preventing leads from setting up, to stop MOST physical attackers in their tracks, and a fair amount of special attackers thanks to Snarl (Alakazam is another that springs to mind, what with Magic Guard). If I replace it with Raikou, I give myself another ground weakness, and no immunity to fighting types (as well as no anti-lead as I mentioned).

Latios is staying as it is. Why? Because it's versatile, and I'm not a fan of being locked into a move.

TWave is on two pokemon for 2 very good reasons.

Klinklang - It's a great way of ensuring that Klinklang is faster than the opponents at all times, allowing him to always get a sub up before an attack lands (and to protect from crits)

Togekiss - It's a Paraflinch Togekiss; Twave is kind of vital to the whole idea of using it.
Oscar Wilde
Has Dragon Aids

Registered
05-21-2012, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2012, 06:45 PM by Oscar Wilde.)
You may want to increase Scrafty's speed yeah?

You're at like 159 now I think. Half of that is 79.5.

After one boost you're at 238, that doesn't really outspeed anything.

At two boosts you're at like 318, which is ok, but you're still outsped by things like Terrakion.

Jolly max speed, you want to be able to outspeed terrakion after a boost and just in general, offensive counters. Also I would highly suggest replacing Drain Punch with Hi Jump Kick.

Drain punch after stab is like 112.5 Hi jump kick after stab is like 205. Nearly double the strength. And that gap only gets wider as you boost your attack.

Question, what made you choose KlingKlang over a pokemon like Metagross, which in general outclasses it offensively. The improved movepool, etc. There are far better steels for an OU team.

I'll probably do a full scale rate after that question.

I like the snarl on Sableye btw.
Legacy
Resident Metalhead

Registered
05-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I run Drain Punch as a way of keeping Scrafty alive (alongside Shed Skin and Leftovers). I've always played Scrafty making use of what natural bulk it has. As for the EVs, I will move the HP EVs into speed (I meant to do that anyway but never got around to it, so thanks for the reminder).

I chose Klinklang because (if I'm honest) no-one really expects it to be as good as it actually is. I've used Metagross, and I do like it. But Klinklang just appealed to me when I saw Shift Gear and Gear Grind. I guess it's similar to Breloom with a Swords Dance and Bullet Seed set (although obviously the coverage isn't great and the attack only hits twice, but if I remember correctly, it's more powerful than Bullet Seed). There's no real reason why I chose it other than that it appealed to me, it's unconventional and I wanted to give it a try. It's really more as a surprise element, once I've sure any threats to it have been neutralised.

I'm glad you approve of Snarl =]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XY: RMT : Porygon's Doubles Team~ Porygon 2 1,593 02-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Last Post by Porygon
  XY: RMT 6th Gen [OU] Cujo 12 3,526 02-02-2014, 02:24 AM
Last Post by Cujo
  XY: Trick Room [Gen VI OU] Yunan 3 1,993 12-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Last Post by Yunan
  BW: ☁Gen 5 Doubles: Trick Rain☁ Bloom 2 1,795 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Last Post by Bloom