Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Community Shoutbox/Chatbox or Instant Messenger?
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Community Shoutbox/Chatbox or Instant Messenger?
xKiYoMiNaTiONx
Cosplayer

PokéDollars: ₪1,260.88
Super Moderators
12-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Ello,

I'm not sure if this was ever considered, but has any of the admins/mods thought about including a shoutbox/chatbox on here? Meaning, real-time chatting, etc... without having to either use PMs or comments, or making threads to just...chat? o_O

I know you guys have a Daily Random Chat thread, but it's really um... sometimes it gets too into one thing, that it's hard to even make another random talk in between two people talking.

Or maybe, not a shoutbox, but a private messenger? I'm not talking about Private Messages... but like instant messaging between two people, or something...
Porkchop
King of Pigville

PokéDollars: ₪13.28
Registered
12-10-2013, 08:33 PM
We used to have a chat box but it was removed because people would just stay on it and not post around the forum. The forum was active-yet it was inactive at the same time. Whatcha lookin at me for?! xD

YouTube
[Image: link_signature_by_wiancar-d35nc38.png]
If you wanna play Animal Crossing or something else with me, hit me with a message!
FormerOG767
Cogito ergo sum

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
12-10-2013, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 08:35 PM by FormerOG767.)
^Ninja CMM also raises a good point^

I like the idea, and a chat system was implemented before. However, to my knowledge, it was shut down because there was no way mods could be on the site 24/7, and it would quickly flood with spam. Also, I don't think that it was very popular back then.

The private messenger idea is nice, but we could always do that on outside sites. Although, it would be nice to be able to do it here. I would like a real-time way of chatting with someone conveniently placed here, but other people may not feel the same way :/

[img=0x200]http://i.imgur.com/7yWZOgj.png[/img]
Thanks to FPB for the signature and avatar~

Check out my ASB profile! (or not... either way, it's there Tongue)

My FC is 0130-2313-2579; Let me know yours!
Legacy
Resident Metalhead

PokéDollars: ₪25.59
Registered
12-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I agree an IM aspect to the site would be useful both from a member point of view and also potentially for staff or those involved in the various projects we have going on. It would allow for quick and easy messaging.

Not sure on a community shoutbox or the like, since the last attempt at that was less that successful, but it's something to be considered for definite.
Porkchop
King of Pigville

PokéDollars: ₪13.28
Registered
12-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Well if you do it then I'd suggest making it possible for group messaging so that the staff/asb refs/anyone else could message each other and discuss things easier.

YouTube
[Image: link_signature_by_wiancar-d35nc38.png]
If you wanna play Animal Crossing or something else with me, hit me with a message!
xKiYoMiNaTiONx
Cosplayer

Super Moderators
12-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Yeah, when I was writing my suggestion, I just thought that maybe a Private IM would be better. I mean, I know you don't want to take away from the forums, but do you really want to fill up your trainer comments with stuff that should be private? Also, even though we have Private Messages, it's just like... refresh page, or check email to see if they replied.

True, you can use outside sources, but if you are like me who do NOT like having people other than local people on your skype/etc... I'd prefer it to be within the community. I mean, I don't use AIM, Windows Live, or Yahoo Messengers anymore... I only use skype and google talk, but that's about it.

But like I said, I know you guys have a daily random thread, it's just...it feels like when two people are constantly responding back to each other, it's really hard to like butt in and see something totally random, but then again it gets ignored one way or another...
Flyleaf
bright, not just white

PokéDollars: ₪52.34
Registered
12-10-2013, 09:03 PM
I seem to recall that a long time ago in a far-away forum owned by Zeuq and another user, we had many a chat box. It was quite fun, and the forum was - as usual, at that time - minimally active, but the chat box was thriving. On a normal day, a moderator or administrator would come and check it, maybe once every two days if it was a quiet week. All they had to do was just clear the chat box, and suddenly the "spam" was fine.
I understand that this is a different scenario, but why, seeing as we will be gaining a new moderator soon, can we not have a chat box / chat box? I don't see the problem. If it is just about the spam or forcing the forum to be less active, could we not just use a separate type of IM server?
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
12-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I think the only real way of doing that kind of thing without it taking away from the forum-centric side of the community in some way would indeed be over Skype. A group could be made on there for the forum, people would be allowed to come and go, leave messages for people on there, etc. Honestly, the chat box we used to have, a Skype group chat would function better than it did in a good number of ways.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
Flyleaf
bright, not just white

PokéDollars: ₪52.34
Registered
12-10-2013, 10:08 PM
I suppose that makes sense. It would leave me ineligible to participate, but it really doesn't matter. Either a Skype chat or some other type of chat service seems to be the best option. Anyone disagree with this observation?
xKiYoMiNaTiONx
Cosplayer

Super Moderators
12-10-2013, 10:16 PM
I suppose Skype would do... give or take. I'm not into voice calls, or video chats. I just like typing lol... So Google Hangouts are like a...*taboo* place for me lmao.

However, if it was within the actual forums, at least we'll know who each other is by username.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a Community Questions page? ✯Ho-OhLugia✯ 2 702 06-30-2015, 05:47 AM
Last Post by ✯Ho-OhLugia✯
  Community Project Suggestion; PokéSun Podcast Hana Song 3 1,053 12-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Last Post by carlafording
  Fakemon community project. Porygon 9 1,616 12-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Last Post by Legacy
  Community Event Suggestion; Summer Camp Hana Song 30 2,802 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Last Post by Hana Song