Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Daytona Daydreaming
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Daytona Daydreaming
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

PokéDollars: ₪1,040.11
Registered
01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
A quick story I wrote about a plucky, young rookie in the NASCAR Sprint Cup series. Together with a bunch of his closest friends, they take the beaches at Daytona Beach, Florida by storm and run circles around their fellow competitors at the "World Center of Speed".

(NOTE: This work is pure fiction. The names referenced in this story (other then the main character) are real, but the events in this story are purely for fun and are fictitious in every way.)

Chapter 1: Getting the Gang Together

In a snowy town near the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in North Carolina, a 23-year old young man by the name of Jackson Wimmer was sitting down in a chair in his living room, reading his towns' morning paper. The town he was born in Sweetwater, North Carolina, was nothing special. However, a top-tier NASCAR Sprint Cup series team had just opened a state-of-the art base of operations in the sleepy mountain village, and had put a notice in the paper looking for interested men who wanted to drive for them. Jackson had dreams of racing in NASCAR. Every year since he was 2, his father would take him to tiny North Wilkesboro Motor Speedway, more than 50 miles north.

In the fall of 1997, the last NASCAR Sprint Cup race was run there, and after Jeff Gordon won, a driver Jackson emulated growing up, he attempted to get an autograph from him. But instead, he got run over and pushed to the ground by an overzealous fan. He felt someone pick him up; no it wasn't his father, but his childhood idol, Jeff Gordon. Without saying a word, Jackson had a program from the race in one hand, and a permanent marker in his other. Jeff reached for the pen that Jackson held up, and Jackson positioned the program for him to sign. Jeff signed it and rustled his fingers through Jackson's brown hair. The next thing he knew, his father grabbed his hand.
"Are you okay?" his father asked. Jackson nodded.
"Come on, let's get to the car and go home." Mr. Wimmer said, pulling his son along. Jackson had the program up in his room in his tiny home. He still lived with his parents because his attempts to become a NASCAR driver failed. His father had to declare bankruptcy twice, both times being bailed out by his son. Jackson knew he had the stuff to hang with the top guys in NASCAR, he just needed the opportunity. And he thought that the big ticket team could give him his shot.

The team that opened their doors in the small town of Sweetwater, NC was Pikachu Inc. Pikachu Inc. piloted Fords since their inception in 2004. Built on the policy "win for the future", the team was built on future with drivers like Kasey Kahne, Reed Sorenson and Brad Keselowski getting their starts and getting their names out there through the team. He pulled in his '79 Monte Carlo near the front doors. Getting out, he entered the building and approached the front desk.
"I'm here for the position of NASCAR Sprint Cup driver." Jackson said.
"Uh...the owner's office is down the hall and to the right." the secretary said, pointing to her right. He put his hand on the desk and said,
"Thank you."

Going into the office, he saw pictures of four drivers. He looked at their names, and each was at the top of their game with the team. Brad Keselowski; driver of the #28 First Niagara Ford. AJ Allmendinger; driver of #25 GameStop Ford. Reed Sorenson; driver of the #27 reGen Muscle Recovery Beverage Ford, and Marco Andretti; driver of the #26 Monster Energy Ford. Jackson envisioned himself with these four, winning races left and right. He sat down in a chair, in front of the desk where the owner sat.
"So, you're interested in the opening position, correct?" the owner asked.
"Yes," Jackson replied. The owner turned around in the office chair.
"I'm Mr. Papadapolous, the owner of Pikachu Inc." Mr. P. said.
"Mr. uh...Papapo-" Jackson said, stuttering.
"To save yourself the trouble, call me Mr. P." Mr. P. stated.
"Okay then." Jackson said.
"So, you want to drive for Pikachu Inc., correct?" Mr. P. asked.
"Yes, I really do." Jackson said. Mr. P. took one hard look at him and shook his head.
"Sorry kid, I don't think you're material for my team." Mr. P. said. Jackson jumped up.
"What do you mean?" Jackson exclaimed.
"You don't have the drive we're looking for." Mr. P. said.
"I don't believe this!" Jackson shouted.
"I do appreciate you coming out here, but we're going to be looking elsewhere." Mr. P. said. Jackson stormed out, walking past another young man with brown hair.

He went back to his house and called his best friend; Albert Aldrock.
"Hello, Albert?" Jackson said, "It's me; Jackson."
"Jackson!" Albert exclaimed, "How've you been?"
"Been better." Jackson replied, "Listen, I need a favor."
"Anything for you Jackson." Albert said.
"Listen, I need you to gather all our old racing buddies together, and meet me at the Sweetwater Municipal Airport." Jackson stated.
"What for?" Albert questioned.
"I want to get a team together and go down to Daytona Beach and run in the Daytona 500 in February." Jackson stated.
"Down to Daytona Beach for the 500?" Albert exclaimed, "Amazing! Count me in!"
"Great!" Jackson said, "Go get the gang, and meet me at the airport."
"Roger." Albert replied, "Won't be that long."

Jackson sat in the airport parking lot, waiting for his friend, Albert. Albert pulled up in his '80 Ford Mustang, and opened the door. Two other men came out with him.
"Jackson!" Albert exclaimed, "You remember Scott Thomas and Fred Gregory, right?"
"Duh!" Jackson said, "Many a time did we all race against one another at the Sweetwater Speedway."
"Albert told us to get the gang together, and so we did." Scott stated.
"But, there's only three of you, and the total amount of people that go over a wall for a pit stop is six." Jackson said.
"Don't worry, three more are still coming." Fred chimed in.
"Well, while we're waiting we might as well assign positions for each of you." Jackson stated.
"I'm going to be the crew chief." Albert said, stepping forward.
"I had a feeling you we're going to be." Jackson replied.
"Hey man, we're almost like brothers, I'm not going to let you down, you know that." Albert said, putting his hand on Jackson's shoulder.
"Thanks man, that means a lot." Jackson replied.
"I'll be the gas man," Scott said, "I'm pretty much the best one here at filling their car up at the gas station."
"But, Scott, these NASCAR gas cans are several times heavier then the pumps at the local CITGO station." Jackson stated.
"That's not going to stop me." Scott stated. Jackson nodded his head.
"Uh...I guess I'll be the jackman." Fred said slowly.
"You think you can work the jack like the best of 'em?" Jackson questioned.
"You're not going to see me mess up, that's for sure!" Fred replied strongly.
"So, that leaves the front and rear tire changers and the front and rear tire carries." Jackson stated.
"How about a position for your old man?" a voice asked out. Jackson turned to see his father, Michael standing next to him.

"Dad..." Jackson said.
"Listen son, I saw you're note you left on the kitchen counter." Mr. Wimmer said, "I did a little soul searching, just looking at that note."
"I know you can wheel a race car like the best of them, and I really want to help you the best way I can, so I decided that I want to be apart of your race team, son." Mr. Wimmer finished. Jackson's eyes lit up. He then darted over to his dad and hugged him.
"Thanks Dad, and yes, you're apart of the team." Jackson said.
"I was thinking about helping you with one part of the tire equation." Mr. Wimmer asked.
"Front or rear?" Albert chimed in.
"Well...I'd be comfortable both sides really, but I'd rather be the front tire changer." Mr. Wimmer said.
As Jackson nodded, the second car pulled up.
"Look, here they come now." Albert said, pointing to the recently pulled up. The three other men walked up.
"Yo, Jackson!" one man called out, "The gang's all here!"
"Great!" Jackson exclaimed, "Come on over!" The three men raced up to the group.
"Jackson, it's me Greg Lumpkin." Greg said, "I'm here to be apart of your NASCAR team."
"Well, there's three positions left; rear tire changer, and front and rear tire carrier." Jackson stated.
"I'll be the front tire carrier." Greg said, "I can push a tire with the best of them."
"Alright then." Jackson said and then turned his head, "Oh hi Desmond." The second man; Desmond Mitchell, a tall, dark-skinned man walked closer.
"Greetings, Jackson," Desmond replied, "It's been a long time."
"I can say so." Jackson said, reaching his hand out for a handshake, Desmond reached his out, and both shook hands.
"I'd be grateful if I can be the rear tire carrier for you, Jackson." Desmond said. Jackson smiled.
"Of course you can!" Jackson replied. "You're one of my friends, I can't just say no."
"Good," Desmond said, "Because I wouldn't know what to say if you did."
"And so, that leaves the rear tire changer position to; Aaron Cutler." Jackson said. Aaron was one of the smallest in the bunch, and he cringed.
"Aaron?" Jackson asked, "Are you sure you're up to this?"
"Well, since I've got no other choice; yes." Aaron replied. Albert clapped his hands together.
"Welp, the gang's all here!" he exclaimed, "Let's fly to Daytona!"
"Hold it." Jackson said, "We can't just fly down there and try to race with the top-flight teams without some training first."
"Totally glossed over that little detail." Albert replied.
"Little?" Jackson replied, angrily, "This isn't just a little detail! If we don't get training in, we'll never be able to compete!"
"I'm sorry, man." Albert said.
"We can use my Sprint car to practice on, to get ourselves familiar with the ways of a Sprint Cup series car.
"Speaking of that, how are we going to get our hands on one, son?" Mr. Wimmer asked.
"I found a car that the big-name team left behind," Jackson said, "We'll spruce it up and take it down to Daytona Beach with us. Of course, it means we'll have to travel by car, and not by plane."
"We're totally okay with that." Albert replied.
"Come on, we need to practice." Jackson replied.

"Okay, we need to get used to a pitstop." Jackson said, walking around his Sprint car.
"All right." Albert said, sitting down on a chair, trying to emulate a crew chief. Jackson got into his Sprint car.
"All right guys," Jackson stated, "Pretend I just pulled into the pit stall. Let's go, go, go, go!"
His father and Aaron darted down on the ground and pulled the tires off with the lug nut pistons. Unfortunately, they were sloppy with the lug nuts and they stopped.
"What's going on?" Jackson asked.
"We're going as fast as we can!" Aaron exclaimed. They took the tires off and two tires were wheeled to them by Desmond and Greg. Another sloppy lug nut event and the stop was done. Fred poured some gasoline into the gas opening on the side of the car, and then stopped.
"What's the time?" Jackson asked. Albert stopped his stopwatch.
"23.9 seconds." Albert replied. Jackson started to shout.
"Guys, the Daytona 500 is 2 months away!" Jackson exclaimed, "And if we mosey down there like this, we'll be the laughingstock of the Sprint Cup series!"
"Jackson, son, don't get all testy with us, we're trying our best." Mr. Wimmer said.
"I know Dad, but I really want this to go over well, so I can try to race in the Sprint Cup series!" Jackson replied.
"We're only going to get better." Greg replied, "Just you wait."
"Well, we're going to practice double-time with that Sprint Cup car we have." Jackson replied.
"It's going to be a LONG two months." Desmond replied, and Fred nodded.

Chapter 2; Jackson's team reaches Daytona Beach and finds out that the world of the NASCAR Sprint Cup series is tougher then any of them ever imagined; Chapter 2: Winter Testing.

| My Ask Thread | 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."
(07-03-2013, 07:37 PM)Skye Wrote: You requesting it for free is like walking into a video game store and asking for a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever because it sucked.
49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 6c 6d 6f 73 74 20 61 73 20 73 6d 61 72 74 20 61 73 20 6d 65 21 20
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
01-16-2013, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM by Miles Prower.)
Chapter 2: Winter Testing

January 10th, the day Jackson and his rag-tag bunch of friends reached the white sandy beaches of Daytona Beach, Florida. Their newly-christened team they called Turn 2 Motorsports, had just unloaded their 2013 Ford Fusion from the 18-wheeler that Jackson's father, Michael rented from a friend. The car that Jackson had purchased from a fire sale from Pikachu Inc. for $10,000, Jackson had literally put all his eggs in one basket. If he would win the Daytona 500, he would win $1.6 million dollars, the record purse total for the event. Winning would not only get him out of the hole he dug for the car itself, but he would get noticed by every Sprint Cup team, and hopefully be able to sign a deal with one of them.
"All right," Jackson said, dressed in a gray firesuit, "Today's the start of Daytona Winter Testing. Every team is here testing their cars and tune their set-ups for the series of Speedweek events."
"Understood." Albert said, pulling the microphone attachment on his headset down over his mouth. Jackson put his helmet on and suited up and rolled the car out on to the track. Jackson's gang huddled around their pit box and watched the small TV on the back of the box.

"Hello there, and welcome to 2013 Daytona Winter Testing," a man said, "Mike Joy here, and you all know my partners; former crew chief, Larry McReynolds, and the 1989 winner of the Daytona 500, Darrell Waltrip."
"Now, Darrell, it's a new year, and we're back here in beautiful Daytona Beach." Mike said, "Every team comes here with big expectations, but only one will leave here in February capturing those expectations."
"You're right Mike," Darrell replied, "It's always exciting to be here. Daytona is just, so historic, so full of great moments."
"12 cars are currently out there on the track, taking in their first testing of the new year." Mike stated. Jackson was currently one of those 12 cars out there, trying a variety of drafting tactics.
"Okay, Jackson," Albert said, "Let's try the high line, see if we can pull faster laps."
"Roger." Jackson replied. As Jackson pulled up to the high line, the back end snapped loose behind him and his car spun around.
"Whoa! Trouble!" Darrell exclaimed, "Car around!"
"Jackson!" Albert exclaimed, "Keep it off the wall!" The car continued to spin around the infield, before stopping.
"Gosh darn it!" Jackson shouted, slamming his hand down on the steering wheel.
"The car that spun out was #63, Jackson Wimmer." Mike Joy stated, "A rookie from a tiny town called Sweetwater, North Carolina."
"This was a simple little spin here," Larry pointed out, "His car broke loose and he couldn't correct it. He's just lucky he didn't hit the wall."

Jackson had pulled the car into the garage area, and the team swarmed around it.
"Doesn't look like there's much damage." Albert stated.
"I should be lucky." Jackson said, frustratedly.
"You're in over your head, kid." a man said.
"Who was that?" Albert said, turning around.
"You should turn around, and go home, with your tail between your legs." the man continued. Jackson got up, and got into the mysterious man's face.
"You want to make something of it?" Jackson said.
"You're not worth it, kid." the man said, backing away, and walking out of the garage area.
"You know who that was?" Greg asked.
"That was Kurt Busch!" Albert explained, "He's well-known in NASCAR for being a hot-head, hard to get along with, and generally unpleasant to be with. You're on his bad side, so I'd watch your back."
"Gee, thanks." Jackson said, sarcastically.

Over the course of the week of testing, Jackson and his team we're getting more and more comfortable with the style of NASCAR racing, and they were shaving precious seconds off each pit stop.
"17.6 seconds isn't bad." Albert stated, "We need to find more ways to shave precious seconds off if we want a chance to win."

"Next event we can participate in is the Gatorade Duels at Daytona." Jackson said, "We're a new team, we don't have a pole, so we can't participate in the Sprint Unlimited, which the race for pole-sitters from the previous season."

Jackson walked over, and put his hand out. He nodded and Albert responded by putting his hand over Jackson's. Each pit crew member responded by placing their hand on top of the pile before each had a hand on the pile.
"Okay guys," Jackson said, "It's one for all, and all for one!" he the exclaimed, and everyone lifted up their hand and exclaimed.

Chapter 3, Jackson finds himself in the Gatorade Duel race, facing off against the man who intimated him in the garage area, Kurt Busch. Chapter 3; Busch-whacker.

(07-03-2013, 07:37 PM)Skye Wrote: You requesting it for free is like walking into a video game store and asking for a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever because it sucked.
49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 6c 6d 6f 73 74 20 61 73 20 73 6d 61 72 74 20 61 73 20 6d 65 21 20
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Chapter 3: Busch-whacker

The day had come quicker then anyone on Jackson's team could've anticipated. The day of the Gatorade Duels at Daytona. Jackson's team was on the inside of Row 6, in the middle of the field.

"All right Jackson, take it nice and easy," Albert said on the radio, "Make sure you bring the car home in one piece."
"Understood, over and out." Jackson replied.
"Welcome to Race #2 of the Gatorade Duels at Daytona." Mike Joy said, "One driver will win and find themselves on the outside of the 2nd row for the Great American Race." Jackson tensed up as the flagman displayed the green flag.
"Boogity boogity boogity, let's go racing boys!" Darrell exclaimed as the pack roared into Turn 1.

Jackson's plain #63 had found a drafting partner, the car in front of him, the #93 of Travis Kvapil.
"93 says he'll work with you to get to the front." Albert said, "Just make sure you don't wreck him and take it nice and easy."
"Okay, over and out." Jackson replied.
"Here's a pleasant surprise Darrell; Jackson Wimmer, currently running in 4th position." Mike stated.
"Yeah, he seems to know what he's doing, and he could really make some noise in the 500." Darrell replied.

A caution comes out and Albert comes on the radio.
"You can pit and get a fresh set of tires, or stay out and gamble that you can win or get a good starting position." Albert stated.
"I'm staying out, I've got a really good feeling here." Jackson replied.

Green flag waives again, with 3 laps to go.
"Leader is the 78 car of Kurt Busch, in 2nd in Jackson Wimmer, the 63 car." Mike stated.
"These two had a run-in during Winter Testing," Larry McReynolds stated, "There's bad blood between these two."
"I'm curious to see how a scrappy, young rookie reacts to someone who pushed him around." Darrell replied, "How he reacts to Kurt will shape his image in the garage area."
"You'll never believe who's in front." Albert said, "Kurt Busch."
"Well, that figures." Jackson replied.
"Take it nice and slow, don't wreck your car trying to get even." Albert continued.
"Heck, if he gets in my way, I will dump him." Jackson finished.
As Jackson and Albert chirped on their radio, Kurt and his spotter were having a conversation themselves.
"That 63 car is breathing down your neck, keep your head on a swivel." Kurt's spotter stated.
"Relax, that kid doesn't have the balls to wreck me." Kurt replied.
"I'd be careful if I were you." Kurt's spotter said.
"Just do your job and let me do mine." Kurt replied, angrily.
"White flag!" Mike Joy exclaimed, "One lap to go!"
"Al, I'm sizing him up." Jackson said, "I'm dumping him in Turn 4."
As the two cars raced down the backstretch, Kurt blocked Jackson's moves left and right.
"Give up kid!" Kurt said to himself.
"I won't." Jackson said to himself.
Jackson did as he told Albert he would, he got his left-front quarter panel to the left-rear quarter panel of Kurt's #78 car, and spun him around.
"Trouble! Car around!" Mike exclaimed.
"There he goes!" Larry added, "Around goes Kurt!"
"He dumped him!" Darrell chimed in, "He actually dumped him!"
"I told you Kurt." Kurt's spotted said.
"Shut up and do your job!" Kurt shouted into the radio.

Jackson raced across the finish line, winning the second Gatorade Duel.
"The winner of the second Gatorade Duel is Jackson Wimmer!" Mike exclaimed, "What an upset!"
Jackson celebrated a bit before going into Victory Lane. He and Albert hugged Victory Lane, and Jackson held up the trophy victoriously.

In a hotel room not too far from the speedway, Jackson was on the phone.
"Really?" he said, "That's...that's amazing!" He hung up the phone and ran into the room where he friends were sitting.
"Guys, I've got great news!" he exclaimed.
"What's the news, Jackson?" Albert asked.
"We've got a sponsor for the 500!" Jackson replied. His friends jumped up and celebrated.
"We do?" Albert said, "That's awesome!"
"What's the name of the sponsor, son?" Mr. Wimmer asked.
"Free Credit Report.com." Jackson said, "They've given me a one-race contract, so we'll have a sponsored race car for the 500."
"Cool." Greg said, "It's one good piece of news after another."
"Yeah," Jackson replied, "We've got a sponsor an we're starting 4th in the 500. Things couldn't get better."

During the break between the Gatorade Duels and the 500, Jackson and his team spruced up their car and painted it purple and placed the sponsor, Free Credit Report.com over their car.
"Well, how's she look?" Jackson asked.
"She looks really swell, son." Mr. Wimmer replied.
"Yes, your dad is right." Desmond added. Jackson put his hand out.
"All for one?" Jackson asked. Albert nodded and put his hand out, and everyone else did as well.
"And all for one!" Jackson's friends replied.

Chapter 4, it's the day of the big race; the Daytona 500. Starting 4th, Jackson attempts to win the biggest race on the Sprint Cup schedule, and hopefully, get a job with a Sprint Cup team; Chapter 4; Daytona Dream Come True.

(Author Note: The term "Buschwhacker" was a term coined by Larry McReynolds about a driver, who was not a full-time NASCAR Busch series driver, winning races during the Busch series schedule and winning the Busch series championship as well. In 2007-2008, the series changed it's name to the Nationwide series, and the Buschwhacker term has since been discontinued.)

Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
01-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Chapter 4: Daytona Dream Come True

As the sun rose over Daytona Superspeedway, fans began pouring through the gates, finding seats. With the green flag set to fly in 5 hours, die-hard fans would weather any storm to get their seats.

The Turn 2 Motorsports team huddled in a motor home in the infield.
"Well guys, we're a few hours away from the biggest race of my life." Jackson said. Albert nodded.
"We'll be behind 100 percent, no matter what." Albert replied. Jackson's father walked towards his son.
"Son, no matter what, we'll always be proud of you." Mr. Wimmer said. Jackson smiled.
"Thanks, Dad." Jackson replied.
"Well, it's 5 hours until the green flag, we need to go over the game plan." Greg stated.
"Oh yeah, totally." Jackson replied.

1:00pm, and the pre-race festivities for the Daytona 500 were well under way. Jackson was standing by his car, going over the game plan for the race with Albert.
"Okay, you have a choice," Albert stated, "Stay up at the front, and keep your car clean, or drop back and hope you're not swept up in the Big One."
"I know the risk running in the back about the Big One." Jackson replied, "I just don't know what I'll do."
"I guess I'll figure it out when it happens, right?" Albert asked. Jackson smiled, and placed his hand on his shoulder.
"You're darn right." Jackson said, laughing a little bit.

"Hello, and welcome ladies and gentlemen to the 55th running of the Great American Race; the Daytona 500." a man began, "I'm Mike Joy, and you all know my partners; Larry McReynolds, a Daytona 500-winning crew chief, and the winner of the 1989 Daytona 500, after 17 years of trying; Darrell Waltrip."
"So, Darrell, Larry, we're back again doing this race, and every year, it's as electrically-charged a race as it's always been. How do you cope with the immense pressure this race exudes?"
"Well, Mike, drivers like me treated the 500 like any other race," Darrell said, "Sure, the Daytona 500 is our version of the Super Bowl, but to get the pressure away, we treat it like any normal race."
"Darrell's right," Larry added in, "It's any race, it just happens to be our biggest race of the year."

Before anyone knew it, the cars had been fired up, and were beginning their pace laps around the 2-mile track.
"On the pole position, winner of 3 Daytona 500's; in the #24 AARP Fight to End Hunger Chevrolet, Jeff Gordon." Mike Joy said, "And on the outside of the front row; in the #31 Cherrios/Caterpillar Chevrolet; Jeff Burton."
"Row 2, on the inside, winner of 2 Daytona 500's, in the #30 Country Time Lemonades Toyota; Michael Waltrip." Mike Joy continued, "And the biggest surprise of Speedweeks, in the #63 Free Credit Report.com Ford, rookie; Jackson Wimmer."
"Let's try and get the rookie on the line." Darrell said, "Hey Jackson, Darrell Waltrip up in the FOX Booth, can you hear me?"
"Yeah, read you loud and clear." Jackson replied.
"So, you're a rookie, and you're starting 4th," Darrell said, "Do you think you've got the car to win this big event?"
"The car feels really good, I have a good feeling about this." Jackson replied.
"Well, best of luck to you." Darrell finished.
"10-4." Jackson replied.

As the pack roared to the start/finish line, the pace car dipped down into the pit lane, and the flagman waved the green flag.
"Boogity, boogity, boogity, let's go racing Daytona-style boys and girls!" Darrell exclaimed excitedly.

The race was relatively caution-free throughout most of the race, and Jackson found himself in 3rd position in position to win the sport's biggest race.
"Okay, 1st is Jeff Gordon, 2nd is Tony Stewart, 3rd is the rookie, Jackson Wimmer, and in 4th place is a fellow rookie, Ryan Hunter-Reay, in the #35 Sun Drop Ford."
"We have 5 laps to go," Darrell said, "Your drafting buddy this lap, could be your worst enemy when the white flag flies."

"Okay, Jackson, the 35 of Hunter-Reay says he'll work with you to get up into the lead, but he says when the last lap comes, be on your toes." Albert said on the radio.
"Okay, understood." Jackson replied, sizing up the two cars in front of him.
"Here we go, the 63 and 35 are drafting up alongside Gordon and Stewart, it's going to be side-by-side to the line with 3 laps to go!" Larry McReynolds exclaimed, as the two packs of two blazed past the start/finish line.
"3 more circuits around the track," Albert said, "If we're in first on the last of one those, that trophy's going to have your name on it, buddy." Jackson was silent on the radio, letting the thought of hoisting the Daytona 500 trophy sink into him.
"You there buddy?" Albert asked.
"Yeah, I'm here, I was just thinking about winning this race, how big it would be." Jackson replied.
"Jackson, it'll be bigger then either of us could even imagine." Albert stated.
"Here we go! Final lap!" Mike Joy stated, "First one back is the winner of the Daytona 500!"

Jackson, getting as big a push as any from the 35 car, slipped past the 14 car of Tony Stewart, and had to take the victory away from his childhood idol; Jeff Gordon."
"Drag race down the backstretch! Gordon and Wimmer!" Darrell exclaimed.
"It's going to be a drag-race back to the start/finish line!" Larry added.

Jackson took a gamble, hoping the push recieved from the 35 was enough to get past and get in front of Jeff Gordon cleanly.
"There he goes!" Larry exclaimed, "In front of Gordon!"
"He's going to do it!" Darrell exclaimed, "He's actually going to do it!"
"To the flag..."Mike Joy began, his voice being drowned out by Larry and Darrell exclaiming. Albert was also excited.
"You've done it!" Albert shouted on the radio. Jackson crossed the finish line first.
"Jackson Wimmer wins the Daytona 500!" Mike Joy finished. Jackson began shouting, and carrying on.
"Yeah!" Jackson shouted, "I can't believe it!"

After celebrating, doing burnouts and donuts on the track and the infield, he was directed to Daytona Victory Lane.
"There goes one happy 23-year old." Darrell said, "And why wouldn't he be?"
"He just won the Super Bowl of stock car racing." Larry chimed in.

Getting out of the car and celebrating, Jackson began whipping a bottle of Gatorade around, jumping up and down on his car. His crew members also whipped a few bottles of Gatorade around, dousing Jackson in the Gatorade before he jumped down. One of the FOX pit-lane reporters; Steve Byrnes, approached him to interview him.
"Jackson!" Steve began, "You've just won the Daytona 500? How's it feel?"
"Oh amazing!" Jackson exclaimed, "I can't believe this is happening!"
"Has it sunk in," Steve asked, "Will it sink in?"
"I don't know..." Jackson replied, "It's going to take some time."
"Well, I'll leave you to your celebration." Steve finished, walking away.

The trophy was wheeled out, and Jackson high-fived his teammates. As the trophy was presented; he motioned his father to come over to lift the trophy up together.
"Come on Dad," Jackson said, "Let's lift this together." Jackson's father was smiling, from ear to ear.
"Let's do it, son." Mr. Wimmer said, and the two lifted the trophy up.

"There you have, it the 55th running of the Daytona 500 is finished." Mike said, "For Larry McReynolds, Darrell Waltrip, Steve Byrnes and the whole FOX Sports crew, I'm Mike Joy, saying goodbye, and see you next week. Goodbye everybody."

END

Hope you guys enjoyed this story.

Hottie567
Pokémon Trainer

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
01-18-2013, 04:33 PM
That is a lot :S
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
01-18-2013, 06:16 PM
(01-18-2013, 04:33 PM)Hottie567 Wrote: That is a lot :S

It is a lot, considering I wrote most of the story on the fly, and just used my knowledge of NASCAR as the backbone.

Hottie567
Pokémon Trainer

Registered
01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
NASCAR? Are you an amarican?
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
01-18-2013, 07:10 PM
(01-18-2013, 06:58 PM)Hottie567 Wrote: NASCAR? Are you an amarican?

Yes, I live in Pennsylvania in the USA. I'm still a fan of the sport regardless.

Hottie567
Pokémon Trainer

Registered
01-18-2013, 07:14 PM
I only know it from Jeff Dunham with the puppets. Is nascar exactly what he says? we don't have it here Europe Sad

good story btw
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
01-18-2013, 07:16 PM
(01-18-2013, 07:14 PM)Hottie567 Wrote: I only know it from Jeff Dunham with the puppets. Is nascar exactly what he says? we don't have it here Europe Sad

good story btw

Closest thing to NASCAR in Europe would be Formula 1, but they're different kind of vehicles that are used.

And thanks for thinking it was a good story.