Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Electric Arcadia - Cyberia's Blog
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Electric Arcadia - Cyberia's Blog
CyChill
Games Designer

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
11-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Fish Fingers and Custard last night, while watching the Day of the Doctor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KqDVNowKU

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
12-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Too much time working on videos to get them out eventually. Got a bit annoyed that Sonic Lost World Part 10 got to 97% uploaded and then just outright stopped progressing. :/ 7 hours down the pan, but it's up now, along with Pokémon Yellow Part 2.

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
02-10-2014, 08:07 AM
I'm finding myself at an impasse again. Part of me wants to stay but part wants to go and forget this place.

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
02-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Well, enjoying a Link Between Worlds. Might write a few reviews soon too!

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
09-17-2014, 02:25 AM
So here I am at university in my shared flat with 8 other people. Yay.

All of them are lovely, very lovely in fact. We all look after each other, no doubt. Up until now I haven't had much to talk about though.

Firstly, I bought Doctor Who Series 7 yesterday, because I need something to drown out the noise with my new headset (More on this issue later).

Secondly, my flatmates spent a good 2 hours in a betting shop. I don't know the results, so do not ask.

Thirdly, my flatmates all drink, some more than others. I have been here for 4 nights now, and each night has somehow been worse than the last. For those not in the know, the kitchen door and the entrance to the flat are both right in front of my room. As I found out very quickly, the speaker systems they have live in the kitchen and will blast out music until midnight when they go out for proper drinks, although looking at the state of the kitchen "Pre-drinks" isn't as light as it is made out to be. They have done okay at best in keeping things tidy, and only woke me up once, which was last night at 3am after an hours sleep.

They have so far coated the kitchen table in vodka, and most of the floor, left pizza, bottles and cans everywhere and left a pile of washing up to do. Turns out, today is also the cleaning day, and in the event of an additional kitchen clean being required....£50 fine. I will again stress these are genuinely nice people, just highly irresponsible and noisy.

Onto my course though, Computer Games Design. Even though everyone else in the country doesn't start until next week at the earliest, I have already had an assignment: Review my favourite game. Not as hard as I was expecting but it required in depth evaluation, improvements, any known glitches and bugs, and positives/negatives.

The class is positively massive, over 40 people, and I have 4 modules (Classes I guess) for the year:

-Games Production: This involves programming in Unity and C#
-Introduction to 3D Modelling: This allows us to use 3DSMax to create 3D polygonal models/environments
-Creative Skills for Design: The ability to create ideas for use in a game
-Introduction to Web Development (My optional choice): Using HTML scripting and Java to create webpages and content.

Each course has to be passed at a pass rate of 40%. If I get between 30% and 39% I have to pay £2000 to redo it in three weeks in addition to ongoing work, or I outright fail. Failing just one module results in failing the course.

Additionally to that, my rent is due on the 6th October, which weighs in at £1586.66. This will be fun.

I believe my classes are all day Monday/Tuesday, so I have free time save for the 10 hour study per week.

I suppose the good thing is I will be at the EGX Convention next week to see some demos I suppose Tongue

Design, Create, Innovate
hotchocolat
Pokesun's sleepy baby

Registered
09-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your flat mates. Is this your first year at university? If so, your flatmates are probably just drunk on their newfound freedom (and alcohol of course). I'm assuming the semester has just started, so hopefully they'll calm down soon.
Your classes sound hard. I really suck at computer programs, I can't even use the internet properly sometimes. Sounds like a good track to take though, you'll probably be able to find a good job.
A 40% pass rate? Where do you live? In the US, that's a failing grade.
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
09-18-2014, 11:17 AM
(09-17-2014, 11:39 PM)hotchocolat Wrote: Sorry to hear about your flat mates. Is this your first year at university? If so, your flatmates are probably just drunk on their newfound freedom (and alcohol of course). I'm assuming the semester has just started, so hopefully they'll calm down soon.
Your classes sound hard. I really suck at computer programs, I can't even use the internet properly sometimes. Sounds like a good track to take though, you'll probably be able to find a good job.
A 40% pass rate? Where do you live? In the US, that's a failing grade.

First year yes, but I assume they are just enjoying themselves. Sadly my lectures have begun already so...

40% pass rate yes, but the catch is you have to pass each module. There is no work around for it, and sadly if you get between 30 and 39 it's a £2000 repayment to redo it in a month and pass, or you are off the course.

Design, Create, Innovate
Isaac
for Smash 4

Registered
09-18-2014, 01:15 PM
So that's why you juxtaposed "computer games design" with "hell itself". (PSA: drunkenness is bad)

I'm not sure if 40 people would be considered 'massive'. It's definitely above-average for sure (at least where I am, the average hovers somewhere around 30 people). At higher-end universities, I've heard that they'll have lecture halls with 100+ people in them...but the thought of that alone is daunting so I try not to think about it.

I don't think I asked you this, but is your flat actually on the campus itself, or just near to it instead?

hotchocolat Wrote:A 40% pass rate? Where do you live? In the US, that's a failing grade.
Given how the currency symbol he used was £, I'm assuming he lives somewhere in Great Britain.
I would assume that there is an extremely good reason that the pass threshold is 40% and not 70%, as you are probably used to.

I have disappeared from here. As apology, please accept this cheery picture.

[Image: 314qek6.png]
hotchocolat
Pokesun's sleepy baby

Registered
09-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I actually just learned from a British person today that 70% is the highest grade so a 40% passing makes sense.
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
09-20-2014, 01:52 AM
The grade required for first class (A) is 70%-79%, however there is Outstanding (80%-89%) and Faultless (90%-100%) above that. So technically the highest level you can achieve is actually Faultless: Edexcel Distinction.

Anyway...

The people on my course seem nice. Haven't really had much chance to talk to them due to getting no sleep (Currently at 36 hour record now) due to partying flatmates, and the fact that the course has had something per day, everyday now. It ultimately ended yesterday with me getting Hyrule Warriors and we all played and evaluated games worked on by graduates from the university, including one TBA iOS title, GTAV, House of the Dead Overkill, Uncharted, Fairytale Fights, F1 Race Stars and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes.

All in all, a good day. We were also tasked with creating our own board games to get the concept of playtesting into our heads.

The next week will be interesting. Monday has learn about assessment procedures and confirm our modules for the year, then we go off in our personal tutor groups for Study Skills Inductions in the Library. Tuesday is another course activity, we find out more on Monday. Wednesday has just a personal tutor meeting. The course has 3 tutors and the course leader, so our course is split into 3 groups. My tutor is Zayd, who back when he studied at the university, was the highest graded student in the university, not just on the single course.

Thursday is the big day. Out at 9, back by 8, off to EGX Rezzed: London for the day. Going to try some demos, evaluate some games and probably pick up a few things. I look forward to it.

Design, Create, Innovate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pigville - Martin's Blog Porkchop 0 202 04-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Last Post by Porkchop
  Zueq's Ba-Zueq-A~ Blog :3 Zueq 151 8,334 03-24-2017, 11:01 PM
Last Post by Zueq
  We can have a blog here? Luigi's Purple Coins 3 368 03-11-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post by Zueq
  Minecrafting Blog ninJAS 2 373 10-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Last Post by ninJAS