Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Entry Hazards
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Entry Hazards
Bloom
*❀~Bloop Dee Woop~❀*

PokéDollars: ₪32.09
Registered
11-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Entry Hazards are moves that are put into place on your opponents side and remain to effect their team as their Pokemon are switched out. Some examples of entry hazards are Stealth Rocks, Sticky Web, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. Entry Hazards can play a big role in competitive battling and it is common to see teams that either use them or counter them. Abilities such as Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, and Levitate can help reduce the effectiveness of entry hazards, while moves such as magic coat, rapid spin, and defog can aid in removing or preventing them. Do you use Entry Hazards for your competitive teams? Are there certain Pokemon you use to set them up or remove them? Or do you prefer not to use them at all?

[Image: dA219Lb.gif]
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
11-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Alright, coming straight from the distant past here. I have no idea what Sticky Web is, and I don't especially care either.

Through Gen IV and going into Gen V I was a huge stall user, so of course I'd be using entry hazards. Toxic Spikes was probably my favourite, easy to set up, and while it was relatively easy to remove for the opponent - Forretress feared absolutely nothing switching into it - it was a great way to swing the tempo back in your favour, and prompt the opponent to rethink their strategy.

Moving further into Gen V, vastly different situation. Stall became less and less viable, hyper offence became the norm, and it honestly seemed like the only way to succeed was just being smarter at playing offensively than your opponent (which I managed, hey-o).

Since I went back to Gen II battling, there's not much choice, you're either using Spikes or you're just not using entry hazards. Still, at least Toxic still exists.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
Zultiner
meow

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
11-08-2014, 04:12 AM
Hazards are nearly nonexistent in VGC play, which is the tier I usually play in. There just isn't enough benefit in wasting turns in such a fast paced style of play like VGC. When playing a tier like OU it is much different. Hazards are a key part to the game, allowing you to cripple and finish off your opponent with relative ease. Although hazards aren't my go to strategy I do have some teams where I use it. My favorite hazard user is Ferrothorn. Being able to set up Stealth Rocks, and then using a Leech Seed can induce intense moments of rage on opponents who were looking to set up. Then to cripple them even more you can run Thunder Wave. This one Pokemon can completely cripple a sweeper in just a few short moves. There is also the option of Stealth Rock Garchomp. His speed and bulk turn him in to an effective Stealth Rock user, as the opponent usually switches in to counter him while he get a free turn to use his move. Other than Stealth Rock the only other hazard I usually use is Sticky Web. Running it on a speedy bug like Galvantula allows me to set it up turn one. I run Focus Sash on him just in case I face a faster opponent, but that doesn't usually happen. Sticky Web allows my sweepers to get a leg up on the competition, making Sticky Web probably the most powerful of all the hazard moves. I don't tend to use this move as I usually use Pokemon that don't always benefit from the speed advantage. Pokemon that are at the top of the speed chart or at the very bottom get very little benefit from this move. In the end hazards are dependent of the make up of your and your opponents team. Some can be game winners, others can be useless moves that take up a move slot.
Snowypawz
The Wolf With Paws of Ice

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
11-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Well...all I gotta say to this is watch out for prankster pokemon. I have a skarmory that has ONLY status moves (such as stealth rock, spikes, roost, and roar). I'd just be careful around those taunting pokemon that make entry hazards impossible.

Trust is like paper. Once its crumpled, its never the same