Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Goodra or Noivern?
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Goodra or Noivern?
Noodles
Ace Trainer

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
01-03-2014, 03:55 PM
So I finally was able level up enough and find rain to get Goodra and in the process I found a noivern, both Dragon types and I want to use one, Noivern being flying also but I already have Hawlucha, what's a better decision get rid of Goodra and find another pokemon to go with my team plus Noivern OR just use Goodra? It's just in-game but still, I don't want two of a type.

[Image: pokemon-haters-gif.gif]
FormerOG767
Cogito ergo sum

Registered
01-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Well, the decision really comes down to whether or not you want a Pokemon with high Speed and high Special Attack (Noivern), or if you want one with high Special Defense and low Speed, with moderate Special Attack and decent Attack (Goodra). I'm not sure what your in-game style is, but I'm more of an all-out attacker since I hate having to heal my Pokemon. The Pokemon of choice for me would be Noivern. However, if you are looking for a Pokemon that is there to take hits, Goodra is more suitable.

Hope this helped!

[img=0x200]http://i.imgur.com/7yWZOgj.png[/img]
Thanks to FPB for the signature and avatar~

Check out my ASB profile! (or not... either way, it's there Tongue)

My FC is 0130-2313-2579; Let me know yours!
Noodles
Ace Trainer

Registered
01-03-2014, 04:02 PM
(01-03-2014, 04:00 PM)FormerOG767 Wrote: Well, the decision really comes down to whether or not you want a Pokemon with high Speed and high Special Attack (Noivern), or if you want one with high Special Defense and low Speed, with moderate Special Attack and decent Attack (Goodra). I'm not sure what your in-game style is, but I'm more of an all-out attacker since I hate having to heal my Pokemon. The Pokemon of choice for me would be Noivern. However, if you are looking for a Pokemon that is there to take hits, Goodra is more suitable.

Hope this helped!

Yeah, I was gonna use Goodra as a defensive wall and put on toxic since most of my team is attack based but they're also pretty quick too. But even if I use it I might change the flying type I use, is there any good ones or at least any good pokemon that can learn Fly?

FormerOG767
Cogito ergo sum

Registered
01-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Hmm. Would you mind sharing with me the rest of the team that you use? Just so that I can get a better look at type coverage and such~

Noodles
Ace Trainer

Registered
01-03-2014, 04:08 PM
(01-03-2014, 04:04 PM)FormerOG767 Wrote: Hmm. Would you mind sharing with me the rest of the team that you use? Just so that I can get a better look at type coverage and such~

Kangashkan
Venasaur
Hawlucha(?)
Goodra/Noivern
Alakazam
Aegislash

FormerOG767
Cogito ergo sum

Registered
01-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Well, from what I can tell, the most common weaknesses are Fire, Ghost, and Dark. Goodra will be able to sponge up any Fire type attacks, and a Flying/Dark type would add some good synergy to your team. As far as I know, the only fully-evolved Flying/Dark types are Honchkrow, Mandibuzz, or Yveltal. If you just want to consider between Honchkrow and Mandibuzz, it's kinda the same situation we had before; Honchkrow is more of a physical attacker, and doesn't take hits well, while Mandibuzz is more defensive. However, Mandibuzz is also able to dish out attack pretty well. I would go with Mandibuzz if you are looking to switch in from Alakazam's and Aegislash's threats.

Then the issue is whether or not you have access to it. If you don't, I could try my best to get a Vullaby for you ^^

Isaac
for Smash 4

Registered
01-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Goodra is generally the superior choice, since although Noivern is pretty fast, it lacks in the offense department. Mostly people just use Noivern for really fast Draco Meteor (sometimes Scarfed).

Here's a set I've seen on Goodra, that has had a lot of success:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Bold Nature (Modest is also an option)
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP; 252 Def; 6 SpAtk (though you can switch Def with SpAtk if you want to have more power)
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Sludge Bomb
~ Flamethrower OR Fire Blast
~ Feint

Goodra's lowest base stat is Defense, at 70, so you will want to shore that up as much as possible so it can take a physical hit. Gooey is chosen as the ability to punish physical attackers.
Dragon Pulse is your basic STAB, and more often than not will be Goodra's best attack. Sludge Bomb is to take care of Fairy-types that are immune to Dragon Pulse, and Flamethrower is there due to the unresisted Fire/Dragon offensive combo (only Heatran resists it).

Feint is used in the last slot as a choice for priority and to smack around Protect users (and Aegislash), or in case you narrowly missed the OHKO. This last slot is easy to change out though, for example, to a move like Muddy Water.

Note that Assault Vest is the item, which will lock you out of any non-offensive move, but it makes Goodra's Special Defense astronomical (think Blissey switch-ins). If you want to try other moves, such as Toxic or Acid Armor (breed from Skrelp), you can switch the Assault Vest for Leftovers, but it becomes much less of a tank.

Goodra can also go physical as it has similar physical offense and a few interesting options, like Aqua Tail, Body Slam, Earthquake, or Power Whip, but its only physical Dragon STABs are Outrage and Dragon Tail, both of which are situational and sometimes even unreliable. I'd just play it safe and go with the Assault Vest set.

I have disappeared from here. As apology, please accept this cheery picture.

[Image: 314qek6.png]
Heinous Creature
Phear me.

Registered
01-05-2014, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM by Heinous Creature.)
(01-03-2014, 04:20 PM)Isaac Wrote: Goodra is generally the superior choice, since although Noivern is pretty fast, it lacks in the offense department. Mostly people just use Noivern for really fast Draco Meteor (sometimes Scarfed).
Usable SpA + great offensive movepool comprising of high base power moves and great coverage options (Draco Meteor, Hurricane, Boomburst, Focus Blast, Flamethrower) + Choice Specs (also known as the best way to run it) + Infiltrator makes for a pretty potent offensive presence, actually. It's also completely viable to use Noivern with a Life Orb as a late-game cleaner, something it does well with it's great speed, powerful STABs and great coverage moves.

Also, pretty fast is a ridiculous understatement.

Performance record
Spoiler:
Gym Leader
The Nexus - 9W / 2L

Gym Challenger
The Forest - Loss
The Asylum - Win
The Crypt - Win

Tournaments
Summer Festival Tournament - 1st place
Tier Shift Tournament - 1st place
Spoiler:
To all current Gym Leaders - prepare for my arrival.

Isaac
for Smash 4

Registered
01-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Fair enough, yes. Noivern does get a lot of coverage, true. I'm just not as familiar with it as I am with Goodra. I don't think I called Noivern bad by any means.

And that would be a ridiculous understatement if Greninja and Talonflame didn't exist.

I have disappeared from here. As apology, please accept this cheery picture.

[Image: 314qek6.png]
Heinous Creature
Phear me.

Registered
01-06-2014, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 08:41 AM by Heinous Creature.)
(01-05-2014, 08:45 PM)Isaac Wrote: Fair enough, yes. Noivern does get a lot of coverage, true. I'm just not as familiar with it as I am with Goodra. I don't think I called Noivern bad by any means.
It shows.
No, you didn't call it bad. You called it 'lacking'. I demonstrated why that was not necessarily correct.

(01-05-2014, 08:45 PM)Isaac Wrote: And that would be a ridiculous understatement if Greninja and Talonflame didn't exist.

Greninja base speed = 122
Noivern base speed = 123

...yeah. So what you're really stating here, is that because Talonflame is ridiculously fast, Noivern is somehow only pretty fast? Completely ignoring the fact that it has one of the highest base speed stats in the game and can outspeed a vast majority of the Pokemon which currently exist? That's not 'pretty fast', that's very f******* fast. The argument that it's only 'pretty fast' holds no water when the justification is the existence of something faster, especially when you consider that, if you wanted to judge it's overall speed relatively, then it's still a great speedster because it is so much faster than so many Pokemon. What makes this even more laughable is that you picked two Pokemon to make this comparison, one of which is actually slower, and the other of which only actually has 4 higher base speed.

If you're going to try and inform someone of their options, at least make the effort to know what you're talking about before writing one of those options off. You're really coming off as ignorant here. When someone wants advice on their given options, you give an informed overview and suggestion, you don't write one of those options off because you were too ignorant to do the research first.

If it seems like I'm being harsh, it's because I can't stand people misleading (deliberately or otherwise) others so that they'll be inclined to take a specific option.

Performance record
Spoiler:
Gym Leader
The Nexus - 9W / 2L

Gym Challenger
The Forest - Loss
The Asylum - Win
The Crypt - Win

Tournaments
Summer Festival Tournament - 1st place
Tier Shift Tournament - 1st place
Spoiler:
To all current Gym Leaders - prepare for my arrival.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Noivern. Porygon 2 1,014 11-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Last Post by Porygon