Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
How to Get into COmpetitive Battling
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

How to Get into COmpetitive Battling
✯Ho-OhLugia✯
Angels of Truth and Ideals

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
06-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Hello! As you know, Ho-Oh and I are the worlds biggest Pokemon lovers! Uh, yes. I love battling for fun, and also competitively, but I find it hard to become a full competitive master. I would like to get some tips on how to become a fully competitive person when it comes to tournaments and such. 

If this thread does not belong here, please feel free to remove it or move it.

[Image: D5Ctidw.jpg]
We are ✯Ho-OhLugia✯, Twin heroes of Truth and Ideals.
Want to see great art? Any requests? Click this warp text to see it!
Zueq
Ba-Zueq-A~♫♩♬

PokéDollars: ₪3,889.43
Founder and Administrator
06-23-2015, 07:02 PM
*Moved to correct forum.* Smile
Bloom
*❀~Bloop Dee Woop~❀*

PokéDollars: ₪32.09
Registered
06-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Well competitive battling is pretty wide spread. Is there a particular kind of battling style you'd like help with? (Ex: Singles, Doubles, Triples, Rotation etc.) Then from there, you can evaluate different tiers of Pokemon that can make team building much more simplistic. Making a really good team and understanding how they work together and against threats is the best first step you can make in competitive battling.

If I'm not mistaken, Pokemon VGC (official pkmn tourneys) has doubles 4v4 formatting in which you make a team of 6 pokemon and you only choose 4 of them when you see your opponent's team. Therefore, you will need to build your team so that when you have two Pokemon out in the field, they work together well whether it be their abilities, typings, movesets, etc.

[Image: dA219Lb.gif]
✯Ho-OhLugia✯
Angels of Truth and Ideals

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
06-24-2015, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015, 05:44 AM by ✯Ho-OhLugia✯.)
Thank you @Bloom! If that's too hard, we'd like some useful tips for single battles!

[Image: D5Ctidw.jpg]
We are ✯Ho-OhLugia✯, Twin heroes of Truth and Ideals.
Want to see great art? Any requests? Click this warp text to see it!
ninJAS
The Phoenix of Bariura Rises!

PokéDollars: ₪445.11
Registered
07-01-2015, 08:33 PM
I know you asked Bloom but I figured I might as well chime in here since I battle competitively as well >.>

The easiest way I have found to build a team is to base your entire team around a specific Pokemon you want to shine. Going from there simply add Pokemon that pair well with the Pokemon you choose to base your team around. I will use one of my OLD TEAMS as an example.

Here I based the entire team around Mega Steelix when its mega was revealed. Despite it being in the RU tier I built an OU team utilizing its strengths with the rest of the team covering up its weaknesses.

Steelix can take a ton of physical attacks thanks to its natural stats and its solid defensive typing but it generally struggles against special attackers so I added an Assault Vest Azumarill to take special hits as well as cover Steelix's Water, Fire, and Fighting weaknesses. In turn Steelix also covers some of Azumarill's weaknesses (Electric and Poison) making them work well together.

From there I continue covering the weaknesses of all the Pokemon I add to the team until everything is fully covered or at least very close to being covered. In the end my teams Weaknesses/Resists/Immunities look like this:

Steelix:
Weak - Fighting, Fire, Water, Ground
Resists - Bug, Psychic, Flying, Rock, Fairy, Dragon, Steel, Normal
Immune - Electric, Poison

Azumarill:
Weak - Poison, Electric, Grass
Resists - Fire, Water, Ice, Fighting, Bug, Dark
Immune - Dragon

Latias:
Weak - Dragon, Ghost, Dark, Ice, Fairy, Bug
Resists - Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Fighting, Psychic,
Immune - Ground

Talonflame:
Weak - Rock, Water, Electric
Resists - Fire, Bug, Grass, Fighting, Steel, Fairy
Immune - Ground

Rotom-W:
Weak - Grass
Resists - Water, Ice, Fire, Flying, Steel
Immune - Ground

Bisharp:
Weak - Fighting, Ground, Fire
Resists - Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel
Immune - Poison, Psychic

Totals (Weak/Resist/Immune):

Normal - (0/2/0)
Fire - (2/4/0)
Water - (2/3/0)
Electric - (2/1/1)
Grass - (2/3/0)
Ice - (1/2/0)
Fighting - (2/3/0)
Poison - (1/0/2)
Ground - (2/0/3)
Flying - (0/3/0)
Psychic - (0/2/1)
Bug - (1/3/0)
Rock - (1/2/0)
Ghost - (1/1/0)
Dragon - (1/2/1)
Dark - (1/2/0)
Steel - (0/4/0)
Fairy - (1/2/0)

So all of my weaknesses are covered meaning no matter what Pokemon my opponent brings in then I SHOULD have something that can handle it ^^

I know that might be a little difficult to understand since you don't battle competitively but if you would like I could post or PM some more in depth tips that simplify the basics of battling.

YouTube
Battle Video Archive

[Image: OzMV8j1.png]

Thanks to Bloom for my Avatar, Signature, and Profile Background ^^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you enjoy the most about battling? Bloom 4 422 04-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Last Post by Jet Stingren
  Competitive playing... Trainer Lollipop 6 771 02-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Last Post by Joaquin
  Mega Evolution Guid [Competitive] Cujo 3 1,056 01-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Last Post by Cujo
  The Art of War/Guide to Competitive Battling [WIP] Hana Song 6 1,855 05-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Last Post by medicham