Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Hyperion's Journal
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Hyperion's Journal
Cyanide

PokéDollars: ₪226.89
Moderators
11-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Saturday, November 14 2015

Spoiler:
  • Just got Fallout 4 downloaded to my Steam account a few days ago. Suffice to say, the YouTube reviews I've seen just don't do this game any justice. Seriously, if none of you have even heard of this (I seriously doubt that, seeing as we are a community of gamers too!) or are skeptical of getting it, you should get this now! The price tag may make you wince, but the price is a fair trade-off!
  • Changed my icon this time to the Vault Boy. This is probably going to last a while. 
  • Not much to do this weekend, just hang around with some friends from university and knock out the weekend by playing on our PS3, Xbox, and PC. 

[Image: 1zoagsj.png]

Cyanide

Moderators
11-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Sunday, November 22 2015

Spoiler:
  • Currently writing a paper for my political science class. We are currently covering a unit dealing with the foundations of - and as well as - different types of totalitarian dictatorships. The last unit we just finished dealt with liberal ideologies, and it was quite a lot of intellectual entertainment. I love reading and learning about political science, and as well as nearly anything relating to economics. If only science were not a primary interest of mine, I surmised that I would've chosen to major in political science. Speaking of that, I am currently thinking of writing a short essay on a well-known anime (Bleach's Soul Society) and their relation to any ideologies, just for fun.
  • Played some more Fallout 4 this past week. I am currently more than 30 hours into the game, and it's been a blast so far. Created two separate characters, one is level 17 and the other is level 7. Exactly 10 levels apart. So far, I've built a few settlements and got a few main quests accomplished, as well as a few radiant quests.
  • Drove to the mall and went on a shopping spree a few days ago. I bought a game guide for my game. It's not as spiffy-looking as the hard-cover edition, but it'll have to do. 

Cyanide

Moderators
12-29-2015, 12:09 PM
12/29/15

Spoiler:
  • So, it's a few days before the New Year of 2016. My progress this year is so far satisfactory, but I have a whole slew of exams to write near the end of January. I am preparing my study schedule today and I plan on spending the last free week of the winter break catching up on all of my notes and updating my master calendar in my bullet journal. What is bullet journal, you may ask? Well, it is a highly-personalized agenda system that can be used immediately once you get familiarized with the basic framework proposed/recommended. The official website can be found via searching through Google, and one can get started on the process immediately; all that is required is having a spare notebook (I recommend spiral-bound) and following the instructions listed.
  • Had an okay Christmas a few days back, and a not-so-good Boxing day shopping spree here. I didn't know what I was thinking, actually considering that it was a good idea to spend a ton of precious dollars just for a Pip-boy edition. Such an expensive lesson, but this just motivates me to be stricter than ever with my spending habits.

Cyanide

Moderators
12-31-2015, 02:25 PM
12/31/15

Spoiler:
  • A day before the New Year. I didn't feel productive enough in the morning, so now, I am using that frustration to make up for my belated work. Having motivation issues is nothing new for me, but it is getting more frustrating with each passing day, it seems, the more I let this "natural tendency" pull me down. I have considered the fact that maybe the current organizational system I have now is not as heavy on emphasizing consequences for these types of actions. Maybe I can put in some sort of Skinnerian aspect (learned in psychology class), to motivate me more. I've been reading through Cal Newport's blog about deep work and having an "autopilot schedule". I've bought one of the books and I will buy more of them, but it seems I need to improve also the system I am using. I've already adopted the proposed organizational system from the book (Straight-A Student Method) but the key reason I've been haphazard with my dedication with it can be blamed on my person. Oh well, new year means new experiments and trials.
  • Gonna go out with a couple of friends for New Year's Eve at a restaurant. As to why people insist on upholding the need for a ritual like this, the reasoning escapes me. What is a better time than to spend your evening refining your productivity level in preparation for the next year?
  • Have to remember that my supplementary application for biomedical sciences is due next week. Hopefully, it is easy to write. Because, as of now, I am really not in the mood to deal with anything heavy.
  • Random thought: It seems that I am the only one in the entire forum to actually manage to keep up with their commitment to writing in their threads, at least once a month. I may have missed one, but I am still far more of a regular writer. Oh well, hopefully we get more members and therefore more journal entries. 
  • Thinking of starting up a thread in the Writer's Corner, dedicated to my thoughts on current study systems and comparing them to my own. I have been wanting to write a series of mini-articles detailing my own thoughts + expansions on Cal Newport's Q/E/C note-taking system (if you ever read or even perused through their blog, you should know what I am referring to). I won't mention what it is here, but go check out the aformentioned sources if you want to know more.

Cyanide

Moderators
01-01-2016, 08:12 PM
1/1/16

Spoiler:
  • Woke up a bit late today, but managed to start off the day right by ruthlessly culling away all of my "distraction cues" from my work environment. Parents don't have work today, so it was slightly noisier than usual, but nothing that I can't handle. 
  • Spent the morning scratching out the extremely unproductive days of December from my bullet journal. It was a bit of a grim reminder that for my personal challenge to work, I had to set aside time to toughen myself up and force myself to follow through with my obligations. I have a history within the family of "not following through" with past projects, so I resolved to prove myself (and maybe, to some extent, them as well) wrong. So, I started laying out the dates in the next few weeks; listing the important events/deadlines/meetings due for specific days of the month.
  • Started studying and catching up on my notes for chem and social studies.
  • Revision of my study system is almost complete. 

Cyanide

Moderators
01-02-2016, 04:19 PM
1/2/16

Spoiler:
  • Started the first draft of my personal statement for my application to the biomedical science stream. Slacked off on the holidays, so now, I am regretting it. Good news though, is that the entire application process is not even due until March 1st, but why wait until then? If I complete it after Jan. 5, then that only means that I won't be eligible for the scholarship. Not that I want to, because I am sure I don't qualify for it, anyways. There are other fish in the sea, the "fish" being other scholarship offers and bursaries.
  • Cleaned out old papers and finally got around to actually finalizing the structure of my new study system and organization, as was proposed in Cal Newport's books. Turns out that adopting this simple and efficient system was a lifesaver. Using binders and carrying them around campus is such a bother, but resorting to the use of individual pocket folders for assignment rubrics, handouts, readings, problem sets, graded exams, etc. has done a lot to organize my life.
  • Realized that I have an exam on the 14th. Guess I should finalize my study plan before Monday. 
  • Am I the only one that actually keeps up with their journal entries? 

Cyanide

Moderators
01-13-2016, 09:38 AM
1/13/16

Spoiler:
  • Finally finished the actual curriculum for the semester. Now, I am just preparing my study plans and strategy for the upcoming exams. Have the first major exam tomorrow, and I am feeling confident I can tackle it because of the essay format. I am really excellent at these types of tests.
  • Second journal post for the year, I think. So far, I am making somewhat of a steady progress to my goals but my commitment to regular usage of my bullet journal system and SA method is somewhat still sporadic. I am working on fixing that before the next semester. 

Cyanide

Moderators
04-07-2016, 07:19 PM
4/7/16

Spoiler:
  • Can't believe I ignored this thread for three months. Well, I am back into the 'swing of things'. Expect more entries from me.
  • I became interested in computer programming and software development in the last few weeks. MIT has a website dedicated to free content, complete with lecture videos and notes, problem sets, syllabi, etc. I really admire and appreciate the effort and funds that went into making this site, and any institution that is dedicated to the ideal of free education earns brownie points in my book. 
  • Just installed the IDLE program from Python's official website into my computer. Can't wait to write my first program. 
  • More studying this semester. Not really much to say about that.
  • Can't wait to get another name change. I cycle through usernames so much. 
  • Ignore the terse, dry tone of this entry. Believe it or not, it's a part of my personality that the rest of the world doesn't get to see as often. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bear with Me- A Journal of Tales and Happening as Told by Squirtles I liek Squirtles 3 375 08-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Last Post by I liek Squirtles
  Team's Journal teamplasma 21 2,590 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Last Post by teamplasma