Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Mixedmons RMP - Gyarados is made out of rubber
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Mixedmons RMP - Gyarados is made out of rubber
Rhapsody
has anyone seen my sanity

PokéDollars: ₪79.9
Registered
09-02-2013, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013, 04:34 AM by Rhapsody.)
I was coming up with a few movesets for my own metagame, Mixedmons, in the main Showdown server, and we came across some interesting combinations, many of which are actually quite a bit overpowered. One of which is Gyarados, actually. Gyarados is quite a fearsome Pokemon, carrying either Intimidate (which often can help it against other Gyarados or physical threats like Terrakion or Cobalion, which can carry Stone Edge) or Moxie. As we know, Moxie is more often carried than Intimidate, but we also know that Gyarados can clearly fend for itself without Moxie. So, ideally, it'd be nice to give it a different ability, since this is Mixedmons. Since we need a Pokemon to give it the ability, let me grab Electivire... There. Electivire, enjoy your Moxie (for now, I'll use it somewhere else later). Gyarados, you now have Motor Drive, which will be the main focus of this post.

As you know! A flying water serpent that is immune to freaking electricity is going to bring havoc to the metagame. And that, my friend, is the point. I'll explain Gyarados' use with Motor Drive in-depth further down.

[Image: 130.gif]
Gyarados@Life Orb
Motor Drive
Adamant (+Atk -Sp.Atk)/Jolly (+Spd -Sp.Atk)
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall (no alternate Water attacks since this is pretty much the only good Physical Water type move with reliable accuracy :<)
- Taunt
- Earthquake/Stone Edge/Bounce OR Drill Peck OR Brave Bird

Gyarados is a pretty good Pokemon for use in OU, but it is unfortunately crippled by it's base 81 Speed, which gives us a pretty bad 198 Speed with no beneficial nature and no EV investment in it (but with 31 IVs). Give it 252 EVs and that boosts to 261, which is better, and allows it to outspeed some other Pokemon. Give it a Jolly nature, and you've got a Gyarados with 287 Speed, which isn't too bad. However, if you really want to move first, you'd have to be lucky enough to be able to pull off a Dragon Dance without getting hit by a Supereffective move if you want to get the speed boost that you need, which will allow it to outspeed a lot more of the metagame. Or you can just get proper support from a Baton Passer, which, if you can predict correctly, is probably safer.

However, Gyarados has two crippling weaknesses, and we're here to address one of them; Electric-typed moves. Electric-typed moves have long been the bane of Gyarados, with Gyarados having a 4x weakness to them. That's not exactly acceptable, especially if it's bulky enough (or has a Focus Sash) to survive Waterfall, Bounce, Stone Edge, or Earthquake, because it can often result in a OHKO. Motor Drive completely fixes that problem for us. And not only that, if you can predict correctly, you can get a free Speed boost off of it, which will often enable you to move first while the foe is likely to switch.

You have two options at this point; Adamant or Jolly? That depends entirely on your choice, because once you get a few Dragon Dances or general speed boosts pulled off, it's hardly relevant. Adamant raises Gyarados' Attack stat to an outrageous 383 without any boosts, which means you can do some good damage right off the bat if you chose to. On the other hand, a Jolly nature grants you the mentioned-above 287 Speed, which might be more important if you don't have a Baton Passer on your team.

Now, let's get to describing the moves. Firstly, we have Dragon Dance. Dragon Dance is for the general purpose of setting up. As I mentioned, Gyarados' speed is rather shoddy, so it can definitely use the boost. Give it more Attack boosts and it'll be overpowered. Give it +6 and it'll be nearly unstoppable.

Next up is Waterfall. In Mixedmons, we have access to all of the water-typed moves. However, looking through them, we have a limited amount of Physical water-typed moves that's limited even more by the fact that only one of them can reliably hit and has a decent power. That'd be Waterfall. Luckily, we were also graced by the fact that the move has a 20% chance to flinch the foe, which can definitely make the difference in some situations.

Now, we've got Taunt. Taunt is relatively useful once your speed is boosted enough. If you think a foe is going to inflict you with a status condition, make using Taunt your immediate priority. Pretty much any status condition will cripple Gyarados completely. Now, Thunder Wave is nothing to worry about, since it can't affect Gyarados due to Motor Drive. However, Stun Spore can affect Gyarados, and having a halved speed on Gyarados really, really sucks, along with the fact you can be prevented from moving for a turn randomly. Toxic limits Gyarados' time on the field, but if you wreck through some things before it faints, then I'd be willing to say it's fulfilled it's purpose (but forever shall be missed). If it's a Burn you think will be inflicted, then I'd say 'screw the boosts' if you think you can't move faster, and switch to a Pokemon with Flash Fire or a Special attacker (if it's from Will-o-Wisp, if it's from Scald, tread with caution). A Gyarados with a halved Attack stat is as good as dead weight unless you've got +6, in which case it's still extremely crippled from what it could've been.

...Of course, if it's Whimsicott or Sableye, you're as good as screwed regardless due to Prankster.

Finally, we've got a very large selection of moves. Earthquake can be used for the quick dispatching of Empoleon or Heatran (although in Mixedmons or Ability Exchange, chances are they'll commonly be levitating), or some other Electric types (which, again, might be levitating simply for the purpose of having no weakness, if they're pure Electric). For the sake of diversity, we've also got Stone Edge. Then we've got Bounce. Bounce is a decent move. It's Gyarados' counter to Grass types, but not only is it easy to counter due to the fact that it takes two turns to use, but it's accuracy also isn't that great. The one good thing about it, though, is it's 30% chance to paralyze (which is more often than you think, putting into consideration how often Scald seems to burn, even though it's also only a 30% chance). We've also got a better move, though... That'd be Drill Peck. Thanks to the wonders of STABmons/Mixedmons, we have access to Drill Peck, a move with a power of 80, and an accuracy of 100%. I'd be willing to say that the 100% accuracy makes up for the slight decrease in power from Bounce, though. Alternatively, if you are feeling suicidal, we can use Brave Bird, a move with a 120 base power and 100% accuracy, which will almost certainly bring you close to death due to recoil if you OHKO a Pokemon with it. So, uh.

[Image: tXYu56.png]
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪1,014.12
Veterans
09-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Like I said before elsewhere this set it pretty solid and Crabhammer could be a viable STAB attack since it has a high crit rate, 90 accuracy, and 90 power and could net you some surprise KO's but Waterfall is probably the safer option.

Also I didn't mention this before but I just thought about it. You don't really need the coverage that Earthquake gives you since the main reason you want to run it on Gyarados is to counter Electric types. With Motor Drive however that coverage isn't necessary and instead you can use Flying dual STAB coverage in order to hit Dragons for neutral damage which seems much more important for this Gyarados in order for it to sweep.

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^
Rhapsody
has anyone seen my sanity

PokéDollars: ₪79.9
Registered
09-02-2013, 12:46 PM
That's true.

[Image: tXYu56.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [RMP] An Unusual Part of a TR Team Rhapsody 9 1,243 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM