Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
PokéSun CCAT #1 - Gen VI Overused
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

PokéSun CCAT #1 - Gen VI Overused
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
12-18-2014, 09:45 PM
[Image: Yjfm6xM.png]

Well, hello there, everybody, and welcome to PokéSun's first official Community Create-A-Team project! What, you don't know what a CCAT is? Well, it's pretty simple! We're going to band together here, in this thread, and come up with a team for competitive Pokémon battling - one that is both viable and innovative. Of course, this is no small task, not at all, and it's going to take all of us, and likely quite a bit of time, to come up with something that reaches every target that we can set it!

As a competitive community, it's of course going to be in our interests that it functions as a viable team - synergies, roles and Pokémon viability in the first place are going to be of the highest priority - and to start with, since this is CCAT #1, we will be tackling the Gen VI Overused tier - the current generation's premier field for competitive battle!

The end goal here is to build a team as a collective, one far better than any we could craft ourselves, and there are going to be important steps and testing along the way. It might be annoying, even frustrating at times, but in the end it's just going to bring the competitive community closer together.

Over the next few weeks, we will be leading each other down this road to crafting a (hopefully) unstoppable team, one that covers off as many threats as possible in the metagame. With that out of the way, let's go over the steps leading to its creation, shall we?

The Method

Step 1 - Places unbeknownst.
Spoiler:
More often than not, teams are built around a certain Pokémon, set or concept. For this team, in a metagame highly contested by fast powerhouses, Pokémon have, of course, fallen by the wayside; perhaps they just don't cut it in Gen VI. Maybe they were once a legend in their own niche, but the jump from Gen V to Gen VI was simply too much for them? Well, we're bringing them back.

Underrated and underused threats can often be the most devastating in battle. After all, how do you prepare for something that you never see being used, right? This is what we are going to build our team around, and this Pokémon will be the star of the show, the main attraction. An underrated threat, one not commonly seen, and we will build our team around it.

Not that this doesn't mean it has to be an end-game sweeper, or anything of the sort. Assigning roles comes after this stage, the rest of the team will be build around this Pokémon, which means that it can be anything at all. Think back to the older days of competitive battling, what was a threat then, what sets can it use now, and most importantly, can it still be a danger?

Step 2 - Need to focus.
Spoiler:
Everything is designed around the first Pokémon we choose, that's a simple fact. Everything, from the rest of the team, the roles they play, everything down to even the playstyle we're using, arguably the most important and defining aspect of the team.

Whatever we end up choosing, we need to take a long, hard look at it. What does it do? What is its role? What kind of team will work best alongside it? What can it contribute to various playstyles? We may choose a hugely offensive threat to start with, and end up with a heavily stall-oriented team, with the star being a seemingly unstoppable wallbreaker. Every combination must be considered, and even tested, before making our decision.

Step 3 - Not going it alone.
Spoiler:
Around every star, there is a team backing them up. Nobody wins a championship by themselves, they always have support, no matter how behind the scenes they may seem, and this is no different. While we may come up with a truly damaging threat to base the team around, it still needs to have a core around it, a combination of Pokémon that compliment and support each other.

A core can be anything from two Pokémon to five, literally anything can qualify, but generally a core in a team will be Pokémon whose typings synergise well, roles that don't clash, and that support each other, covering each other's weaknesses, taking care of their counters, and luring out another's.

This is important. Without a good core, the team won't have anything stable to build on, which, as you can guess, is a bad thing. Getting the core right is a vital step in the teambuilding process, else you risk a singular opposing threat tearing through your entire lineup.

Step 4 - Filling in the gaps.
Spoiler:
What else do we need now? That's a question you'll be asking yourself, and the rest of us, a lot when we get to this part of the process. By now, we'll have at least half a team that we're content with, and the technical work now begins. Patching up obscure weaknesses, no matter how silly they seem - don't want to be swept by that Choice Band Blissey, do you?

If we have a glaring type weakness, it will be fixed here. If we risk being taken apart by a Choice Scarfed threat, here is where it stops. If our core has even the tiniest hole in its side, this is where we patch it up. We need a Cleric? Now's the time to add one. We want something to clear up, or a dedicated lead? We decide on it now. This will likely fill out the rest of the slots in the team, and if not, then we must have some weakness somewhere we're not considering.

Step 5 - Make or break.
Spoiler:
Here is where it all comes together. The actual testing of the team - and by testing, we mean until it breaks. We'll be keeping records, sharing them here, making note of whatever seems like a threat, no matter how small, we can mention it, and fix it if we need to.

Battling around Pokémon Online, doing dedicated laddering on Pokémon Showdown, whatever it takes to flush out the last weaknesses of the team, we can do it here. This is the test drive, and if we don't like how it's handling, or if the seats are a little too rough, then this is when we also request it be sent back to the factory for fixing.

With data shared among the team, we can now start making the changes that will put the polish on the lineup. This is the final step, and at the end, we can call the team done, and bring the CCAT to a close, with a team that's had hours poured into it by multiple people. Created by the community, fine-tuned by the community, a great competitive team, and one proven to be so.

All fairly simple and straight-forward in the end, we're just making a team step by step, building it up until it's something we're happy using! It may seem like a lot of work, and that's because, well, it is. I know in the past I've thrown teams together without much thought - even the ones that I've taken my time over still took less than a few hours to create, with little fine-tuning afterwards, but that's the beauty of the CCAT. We're going to band together and take our time over the details, we're going to work as an effective team.

Now, onto how thing such as the star of the team and the playstyle are going to be decided. Members are free to suggest Pokémon and movesets at any time, and towards the end of steps that require team deliberation, a poll will be set up in the thread, a list of all movesets and choices, that the community will then be able to vote upon - it's the Community Create-A-Team, after all!

We're going to be trying to make it as fair to everybody as possible. Whoever wants to have a say in the process will be able to have their say at any time, discussions will come up because of it, their suggestions will be noted and considered by the rest of the team, this is how we're going to work together!

That being said, there, of course, have to be some rules put in place to make sure that the process goes smoothly and, most importantly of all, we all still get along with each other - that's more important than anything here.

CCAT Rules
  1. Be polite and respectful to all members. When working in a team, we need to remember that everybody is equal. We all have a right to have our opinions and thoughts heard, and it would be horrible for rudeness or even simple excitement to get in the way of that. Everybody deserves to say what they are thinking and feeling, and we need to work to make sure everybody feels that they're being treated fairly! We want everybody to feel happy enough to pop in and contribute whenever they want, so keep the thread friendly, alright?

2. Try to justify your choices. We want to spark real debate and discussion with out choices here, so we can make the best decisions possible, and that means you really need to make a case for people to choose the set that you're suggesting - the one that you think is best for the job! Really sell it, tell us why you like the set, why you like using it in teams, and why you think it'll fit the best in this situation!

3. Have some experience with movesets before you suggest them. Or at least make it clear that you've not used them, or that you wish to try it out, as you're submitting them. Having prior experience with the Pokémon and moveset that you're going to be suggesting will be a great asset for the team, and it'll give us a head-start on the testing and theorising along the way!

4. Be clear with your suggestions. We'll appreciate any help that anybody can give us, but still, please do try to make sure it's understandable and neat, it'll go a long way to keeping frustration and misunderstandings at a minimum. Things like formatting movesets correctly will go a long way towards this, try the standard layout and we won't have any problems at all!

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Stealth Rock
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earth Power

5. Take the project seriously. I know we're asking for underused and underrated Pokémon and movesets in a competitive tier, but still, don't go posting here saying that we should be using Magikarp, okay? We're still trying to take this seriously, we're making a serious competitive team, and we do want to move forward with it. Making silly suggestions is just going to waste your own time, more than anything else!

With all of that out of the way, I think I've covered just about everything that needs to be said here! If anybody has any questions, feel free to leave them in this thread, but otherwise, battlers, new and old, let's get working! Remember to have fun with the discussions and debates, hopefully we can all learn something for whatever future teams we may put together, and I just know we'll end up with an amazing team at the end of it!

I think first of all, we'll leave some time for questions, just getting things together, then we can get to work!

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪558.71
Registered
12-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Just wanted to make it very clear that this CCAT is not meant for competitive battlers only..it is a COMMUNITY team which means any Pokemon and sets will be considered. Whether you are a diehard competitive battler, battle just for fun, or just play the story lines of the games we want every single person's thoughts and input going into this team and the voting of Pokemon that will be added!

The whole purpose of this thread was to bring the community together and try new things so just have fun with it! ^^

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^
DerpyDerp
Refreshing pages

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
12-19-2014, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2014, 12:29 PM by DerpyDerp.)
Welp, guess I'll break the ice with a silly idea. I don't really know much about the ORAS metagame so this pokemon might be quite unoriginal, but anyways. And I don't know anything about competitive play so I'm not requesting any moves Tongue

[Image: metagross.gif]

[Image: Dj10a.gif]
[Image: eXVZu.gif] Aren't they majestic!
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

PokéDollars: ₪1,070.25
Registered
12-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Azumarill, just cause.

[Image: azumarill.gif]

- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Superpower
Item Attached: Mystic Water/Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Nature: Adamant

| My Ask Thread | 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."
(07-03-2013, 07:37 PM)Skye Wrote: You requesting it for free is like walking into a video game store and asking for a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever because it sucked.
49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 6c 6d 6f 73 74 20 61 73 20 73 6d 61 72 74 20 61 73 20 6d 65 21 20
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪558.71
Registered
12-20-2014, 01:39 AM
Are you suggesting a regular Metagross or a MegaGross @DerpyDerp?

Azu is always a solid Poke @Miles Prower and I have honestly not tried the BellyJet set out yet >.>

I am going to give two suggestions just to see what you guys think about them.

First I want to see if this set can be remotely viable in OU:

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

If not then I definitely want to give this set a shot because I know it does work ^^

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball/Focus Blast
- U-turn

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
12-21-2014, 06:16 AM
Well, I'll submit something here too! After commenting on @ninJAS' team, I was fairly outraged that this old gem of a set isn't that popular currently. Honestly, it's a travesty, and it might have been my absolute favourite set in Gen V. Bulky, slow, mixed Tyranitar! Powerful, can take a good hit, basically it's everything I love in a Pokémon!

[Image: 248.gif]
Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 72 SAtk / 8 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Pursuit
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

[Image: 248.gif]
Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 176 Atk / 72 SAtk / 80 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Viable in every tier in Gen V at least, even up to Ubers, Tyranitar was pretty common on most teams, and carrying something to deal with it was usually recommended. With the boost to SpDef that Rock-types carried in sandstorms, it was also incredibly bulky on that side, activating its own boost to it whenever it switched in. Coupled with a great HP stat, decent Defence, great Attack and even a usable SpAtk, there was a lot that it could do, and a lot that it could take.

Even faster threats that were used to take it out - things like Starmie on opposing rain teams - would still be taken down by a powerful Pursuit! With the sheer number of teammates that worked well with it - things like Landorus-T, Terrakion, Latias and Scizor - many teams were completely tied together by Tyranitar, and although it also worked with Choice Band and Choice Scarf (probably my second favourite set ever), this was always my definite favourite, and far, far ahead of anything else.

I understand that it's not that widely used at the moment, but still, I believe that it can be powerful in this generation, as it was in the ones before it, without having to resort to its Mega form. Of course, some changes might have to be made it it - I don't know what kind of new moves there are that it might be able to use, for example - but still, it's an extremely impressive set on an equally as amazing Pokémon.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
DerpyDerp
Refreshing pages

Registered
12-21-2014, 06:26 AM
(12-20-2014, 01:39 AM)ninJAS Wrote: Are you suggesting a regular Metagross or a MegaGross @DerpyDerp?

Err, MegaCross is fine by me I guess? I don't see anything wrong with it and he doesn't seem that played (or maybe I'm just not on PO enough) also, glad to see a Tyranitar on here, great thing fighting types aren't often used in competitive play (again, I don't play a lot so I might just be blind)

[Image: Dj10a.gif]
[Image: eXVZu.gif] Aren't they majestic!
Jet Stingren
Swan Song At Dawn!

Registered
04-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Is this still ongoing? If so, I would like to add a moveset.

[Image: 707.gif]
Klefki @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 30 Atk or 30 SDef
Impish Nature
- Switcheroo
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough / Torment

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What new mechanics do you want to see in gen 7? hotchocolat 4 778 06-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Last Post by Flyleaf
  Official PokeSun Gym Leader Tournament - Battle Thread Legacy 15 1,559 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Last Post by Bloom
  Official PokeSun Gym Leader Tournament tylerg1011 24 2,054 01-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Last Post by Legacy
  The PokéSun Festival Tournament teamplasma 87 4,597 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Last Post by Mitchell