Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Roguelike Discussion and Group
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Roguelike Discussion and Group
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
07-22-2014, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 06:08 AM by Hana Song.)
So, I've been heavily getting back into roguelike games lately, and it's quickly worked my way up my list of favourite "genres" (sub-genre, I guess) once again. Maybe it's just that I don't have much spare time for gaming lately, but it's something about how fast-paced and quick in general each game can be.

Roguelikes are characterised by things such as tile-based looks, maybe even old-school sprites, sometimes turn-based systems, randomly generated dungeons and enemy sets, and always permanent death. They generally follow the rules set out by Rogue in 1980, even 34 years later now, though certain changes push games into deeper genres such as rogue-lite and roguelike-like.

There are actually quite a few popular games going around at the moment, and in the last few years, that identify as roguelikes.
  • Binding of Isaac, and upcoming Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.
  • Spelunky.
  • Rogue Legacy.
  • Nuclear Throne.
  • FTL.
  • Risk of Rain.

With pretty much no story to become heavily involved with - roguelikes generally limit it to vague hints of a plot, or simply "There's your goal, go for it.", full playthroughs of the levels that can last less than an hour, it's pretty easy to find yourself having been sitting playing it for hours if your "Okay, just one more go" thoughts take over.

So, roguelike group. Anybody else here play them? What do you play? Any recommendations?

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
03-27-2016, 02:54 PM
Wow. No one replied for two year :'3 Well, a game that's taken my fancy for the past few months is Pixel Dungeon. It's on mobile, and it's essentially an endless dungeon exploration roguelike, so you challenge yourself or your friends just to see how far you can make it with the various classes. It's great fun. xP I have played a lot of The Binding of Isaac, FTL, and Spelunky, though. I need to try Rogue Legacy :3

Hana Song

Registered
03-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Oh wow, I totally forgot about this thread.

(07-22-2014, 06:08 AM)Morrigan Wrote: Binding of Isaac, and upcoming Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

I've had 100% of the achievements in Rebirth and its expansion for like 4 months now, that's how old this thread is.

(03-27-2016, 02:54 PM)shenanigans Wrote: Wow. No one replied for two year :'3 Well, a game that's taken my fancy for the past few months is Pixel Dungeon. It's on mobile, and it's essentially an endless dungeon exploration roguelike, so you challenge yourself or your friends just to see how far you can make it with the various classes. It's great fun. xP I have played a lot of The Binding of Isaac, FTL, and Spelunky, though. I need to try Rogue Legacy :3

I tried Pixel Dungeon out a while ago but just couldn't get into it. How ad-intensive is it? I can't quite remember why I gave up on it, I really like the style of it. Should probably give it another go.

anxiety trip
shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
03-27-2016, 03:50 PM
(03-27-2016, 03:44 PM)Morrigan Wrote: Oh wow, I totally forgot about this thread.

(07-22-2014, 06:08 AM)Morrigan Wrote: Binding of Isaac, and upcoming Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

I've had 100% of the achievements in Rebirth and its expansion for like 4 months now, that's how old this thread is.

(03-27-2016, 02:54 PM)shenanigans Wrote: Wow. No one replied for two year :'3 Well, a game that's taken my fancy for the past few months is Pixel Dungeon. It's on mobile, and it's essentially an endless dungeon exploration roguelike, so you challenge yourself or your friends just to see how far you can make it with the various classes. It's great fun. xP I have played a lot of The Binding of Isaac, FTL, and Spelunky, though. I need to try Rogue Legacy :3

I tried Pixel Dungeon out a while ago but just couldn't get into it. How ad-intensive is it? I can't quite remember why I gave up on it, I really like the style of it. Should probably give it another go.
It's really not very ad-intensive at all. Just played a quick game to make sure, and didn't see a single ad. I love the retro 8-bit style of it. c:

Not a roguelike at all, but another good retro-style RPG for mobile is Knights of Pen & Paper +1. Think 8-bit version of old-school tabletop Dungeons & Dragons, with tongue-in-cheek humor spread liberally throughout.

Hana Song

Registered
03-27-2016, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2016, 04:08 PM by Hana Song.)
(03-27-2016, 03:50 PM)shenanigans Wrote: It's really not very ad-intensive at all. Just played a quick game to make sure, and didn't see a single ad. I love the retro 8-bit style of it. c:

Not a roguelike at all, but another good retro-style RPG for mobile is Knights of Pen & Paper +1. Think 8-bit version of old-school tabletop Dungeons & Dragons, with tongue-in-cheek humor spread liberally throughout.

Well, I'll definitely give it another look then!

Knights of Pen & Paper is an amazing little game and I've played all the way through it more times than I can remember.

anxiety trip

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  League of Legends - Group teamplasma 49 4,027 03-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Last Post by ninJAS
  Steam Gaming Group! Flyleaf 5 439 03-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Last Post by Cyanide
  Animal Crossing New Leaf Discussion Group Aeria 407 15,247 08-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Last Post by Zueq
  Link Between Worlds discussion Jbman5 10 1,421 12-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Last Post by StrawberryG