Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Senseless Reviews
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Senseless Reviews
CyChill
Games Designer

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
07-10-2013, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014, 05:08 AM by CyChill.)
So, out of boredom and lack of stuff to do, I present my reviews. Note a few of these are rather outdated so, some info may have changed. Anyhow enjoy!

Rules:

1) To request a review, please reply to this thread or send a PM. I will tackle it ASAP.
2) Upon posting of your review, you will receive, from me, 50 PokeDollars per review.
3) This is a community service, so anyone can request, and remember, you are asking for my opinions. You are free to agree/disagree via reply.

Index:

Review 1: Nintendo Wii U (No score)
Review 2: Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed (8/10)
Review 3: Ratchet and Clank (7/10)
Review 4: Shadow the Hedgehog (6/10)
Review 5: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (6/10)
Review 6: Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Versions (6/10)
Review 7: Pokémon Black and White Versions (10/10)
Review 8: Spyro the Dragon (10/10)
Review 9: Sonic Rush (8/10)
Review 10: Pokémon Black and White Versions 2 (10/10)
Review 11: Sonic Lost World (9/10)
Review 12: Pokémon X and Y (4/10)
Review 13: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (9/10)
Review 14: Golden Sun (10/10)
Review 15: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (9/10)
Review 16: Golden Sun: The Lost Age (9.5/10)
Review 17: Sonic Lost World (3DS)
Review 18: Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Review 19: Kirby Triple Deluxe

Review 1: Nintendo Wii U

Back when it was in pre-order stages, you could get a Basic or Premium Package. The differences here are quite significant, so let’s cover them.
Basic:
~White 8GB Wii U Console
~White 8GB Wii U Gamepad
That is it. Worth £250
Premium:
~Black 32GB Wii U Console
~Black 32 GB Wii U Gamepad
~Wii U Stand
~Gamepad Stand
~Gamepad Charging Stand
~HDMI Cable
~Nintendo Premium (More on this later)
~Nintendo Land (A fun little minigame package worth £40 or so)
That is it. Worth £310

So, the console you should get is Premium (more memory and accessories, and honestly, £50 isn’t that much) and the system works like a charm. The gamepad features a touch screen and all the standard buttons for control as well as analog sticks. The touch screen works fine and connects directly the Wii U and acts as the controller and a second screen, and optionally, a TV remote. A cool feature with the gamepad is that in Nintendo Land, the direction your gamepad is facing changes the camera direction in the game, as well as tilting the gamepad causes the camera to ‘tilt’ creating a black border in relation to your gamepad, so what you see on the gamepad, is literally transmitted to the TV. Nintendo Premium allows you to save money on downloaded games and software, with 500 points being £5 off and so on. A nice feature, anything to save money.
Now for hardware. The Wii U can do all the standard internet stuff. It has a browser, eShop, Youtube and Netflix apps.
Nintendo’s big reveal though, was the ‘Miiverse’, a social network. With ‘communities’ for each game and app, you can see how many people are playing specific games or apps in each area of the world. You can share tips and secrets, talk about the games, add friends, share art, all the good gaming stuff. It is quite remarkable to see how expansive and talented the gaming community is, and you will feel right at home there with no worries, as Nintendo invested a large amount of cash in developing a filtering system too.
Now for the console: 32GB is not that big. The PS3 has a maximum of 320GB. Now memory doesn’t bother me, as I prefer having a physical copy of a game, but it also doesn’t feel small when using it.
The OS (I dubbed as ‘NintendOS’) is….rather slow, until the updated it. Again, this doesn’t bother me, Youtube loads up faster on Wii U than Xbox360 and loading a game from a disc isn’t too bad either. The Wii U can also play Wii Games (Disc or download) and Wii software that you have downloaded onto your Wii (Including older games). The Wii U offers you the ability to not only activate a Wii Menu, but also ‘transfer’ data. This lets you store downloaded titles and apps, save data from games and all that onto an SD Card, plug it into your Wii U, and upload it, and your Wii is now useless. You can do everything the Wii could EXCEPT play Gamecube games. This takes backwards compatibility further than before and impressed me, but just like in Pokemon, once you have transferred up, you cannot transfer back, so be careful.
Overall, the Wii U is a console well worth buying, with cool ideas, hardware, software, technology, and games. Nintendo made sure to cover everything in regards to online networking, games, new ways to play and backwards compatibility.

Feel free to comment and let me know if you agree, disagree, recommendations etc. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KqDVNowKU

Design, Create, Innovate
Kevin
Member of Thespian Troupe 1139

Registered
07-10-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm glad at least one person supports the Wii U.

[Image: 0KOwHeL.png]
Credits to Fairy Princess Bloom for this awesome signature!

Super Smash Bros Survival Role-Play

My Pokémon Emporium

ASB Profile

S.I.B. Fanfiction

My Art Gallery

CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Review 2: Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed!

Type: Software
Price Range at Launch: £35-£45
Launched: November/December 2012 (All consoles)
Developer: Sumo Digitial/SEGA
Genre: Racing

So, a racing game. Whoopy-doo.
We all know Mario Kart, everyone played it at one time. Many say Wii or DS, or Double Dash or 7 are the best racing games of this kind. Many say some of the best racing games full stop.
Now think about that. Sonic has always been behind Mario in spin-offs like this. With the Racing genre as Sonic's biggest spin-off, there are loads of games. The kart racing Sonic Drift and Sonic Drift 2, which you should avoid like the plague, the on-foot Sonic-R, which you should also avoid. These games had no story, just...boring.
Sonic Riders, hoverboarding, original, but takes some getting used to. Sonic Rider: Zero Gravity, same problem, only more fleshed out. Sonic Free-Riders (It's on the Kinect so for the love of christ don't bother).
Then comes Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing. An entry into SEGA's recent 'All-Stars' series. SEGA characters, locales, gimmicks, it's a lot of fun. This game was...Mario Kart. The music was ripped from the respective games, as were voice clips.
So, it eventually came to light that a sequel was in development, and I was originally going to pass it over. I'm glad I did'nt.

This game, on Wii U, PS3, XBox360, PSVITA, 3DS and probably other platforms, has a LOT to offer.
No story, just racing. Let's start with Career Mode.

You get a Single Race option (more tracks as you unlock them of course) Time Attack (no explanation needed) Grand Prix, which has you racing through 4 tracks in each cup (I did this first to get a feel for the game) and World Tour.
World Tour is incredibly addictive. It's not like Grand Prix after Grand Prix. You get a 'World Map' of sorts for each area, and progress by beating stages and can take multiple pathways and so on. Each stage has 4 ranks. C,B,A, or S. Each is a different difficulty, and each awards you a star. 1 for C, 2 for B, 3 for A and so on. If you want 3 stars though, you must be on A Rank, beating C three times doesn't count.
These stars allow progression through gates on the world map, and allow access to Console Mods (for vehicles, more on that later) and new characters.
The missions go from standard races, to surviving a battle race, to beating rivals in 60 seconds, besting lap times, destroying tanks, drift/boost challenges...and it goes on.

Each vehicle handles differently, and the more you use a racer, the more Experience they get, and level up. By levelling up, you get Mods. These can be equipped before a race to give your vehicle different traits, but only one at a time. There's better handling, better boost, acceleration, speed and so on.
Console Mods are unlocked via World Tour for hefty sums of stars. Console Mods benefit each character but may drastically drop another trait of your car.

If you got the Wii U version, you get two DLCs for free, and already installed. Outrun Bay, a special DLC only (on every other console at least XD) track, and Metal Sonic, fully upgraded, ready to race.

Using the gamepad is fun, you use one analog stick to do tricks for extra boost energy, the other steers, the left shoulder button is to drift and build energy to boost with, the right shoulder button is accelerate, and X is to use a power up, and Y is to turn the camera around to see what is behind you.
This game controls incredibly well. It is very responsive and very very easy to pick up. There is a lot more depth to this game than the previous one, and it's probably my favourite racing game full stop. Drifting is key, and you need to master that button for higher difficulties, but it's not that hard.

The music is fantastic, with the opening race Ocean View having a mix of You Can Do Anything (from Sonic CD) and Super Sonic Racing (from Sonic R) and almost every other song is a remix too. The only two I can think of are **** Park and Cosmic Fall, which are used for Roulette Road and Egg Hangar respectively, but I like those tunes anyway.

The voice clips are new, some are recycled (Sonic's death scream from Generations is noticable) and it's nice to see Shadow's voice actor get some love too, as I think all of Shadow's clips are new. Yes Shadow sounds older. Yes, he doesn't sound depressed anymore. I like it...oh my, Shadow smiling...I have to get used to that.
Anyway, the voice acting is top notch (especially Dr. Eggman, but you wouldn't expect less from the great Mike Pollock!)

The characters are all varied. You have Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles 'Tails' Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose, Shadow the Hedgehog, Metal Sonic and Dr. Eggman from Sonic the Hedgehog. Beat and Gum from Jet Set Radio. Ralph from Disney's Wreck-It Ralph. Danica Patrick from Nascar. Vyse from Skies of Arcadia. Alex Kidd (remember him?). Ulala and Pudding from Space Channel 5. The list goes on, although one notable mention is AGES. This...thing...is a mix of a Daytona car, an AfterBurner jet, and a ship from Space Harrier, all SEGA franchises. Also the last character you are likely to unlock.

Overall, this game is fantastic, and any SEGA fan should grab, or if you just like one SEGA franchise, get it. Or if you like Racing games, get it. Or if you don't like any of this, try it at least. It's a pleasent suprise.

Price Range at Launch: £35-£45
Launched: November/December 2012 (All consoles)
Developer: Sumo Digitial/SEGA
Genre: Racing

So, a racing game. Whoopy-doo.
We all know Mario Kart, everyone played it at one time. Many say Wii or DS, or Double Dash or 7 are the best racing games of this kind. Many say some of the best racing games full stop.
Now think about that. Sonic has always been behind Mario in spin-offs like this. With the Racing genre as Sonic's biggest spin-off, there are loads of games. The kart racing Sonic Drift and Sonic Drift 2, which you should avoid like the plague, the on-foot Sonic-R, which you should also avoid. These games had no story, just...boring.
Sonic Riders, hoverboarding, original, but takes some getting used to. Sonic Rider: Zero Gravity, same problem, only more fleshed out. Sonic Free-Riders (It's on the Kinect so for the love of christ don't bother).
Then comes Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing. An entry into SEGA's recent 'All-Stars' series. SEGA characters, locales, gimmicks, it's a lot of fun. This game was...Mario Kart. The music was ripped from the respective games, as were voice clips.
So, it eventually came to light that a sequel was in development, and I was originally going to pass it over. I'm glad I did'nt.

This game, on Wii U, PS3, XBox360, PSVITA, 3DS and probably other platforms, has a LOT to offer.
No story, just racing. Let's start with Career Mode.

You get a Single Race option (more tracks as you unlock them of course) Time Attack (no explanation needed) Grand Prix, which has you racing through 4 tracks in each cup (I did this first to get a feel for the game) and World Tour.
World Tour is incredibly addictive. It's not like Grand Prix after Grand Prix. You get a 'World Map' of sorts for each area, and progress by beating stages and can take multiple pathways and so on. Each stage has 4 ranks. C,B,A, or S. Each is a different difficulty, and each awards you a star. 1 for C, 2 for B, 3 for A and so on. If you want 3 stars though, you must be on A Rank, beating C three times doesn't count.
These stars allow progression through gates on the world map, and allow access to Console Mods (for vehicles, more on that later) and new characters.
The missions go from standard races, to surviving a battle race, to beating rivals in 60 seconds, besting lap times, destroying tanks, drift/boost challenges...and it goes on.

Each vehicle handles differently, and the more you use a racer, the more Experience they get, and level up. By levelling up, you get Mods. These can be equipped before a race to give your vehicle different traits, but only one at a time. There's better handling, better boost, acceleration, speed and so on.
Console Mods are unlocked via World Tour for hefty sums of stars. Console Mods benefit each character but may drastically drop another trait of your car.

If you got the Wii U version, you get two DLCs for free, and already installed. Outrun Bay, a special DLC only (on every other console at least XD) track, and Metal Sonic, fully upgraded, ready to race.

Using the gamepad is fun, you use one analog stick to do tricks for extra boost energy, the other steers, the left shoulder button is to drift and build energy to boost with, the right shoulder button is accelerate, and X is to use a power up, and Y is to turn the camera around to see what is behind you.
This game controls incredibly well. It is very responsive and very very easy to pick up. There is a lot more depth to this game than the previous one, and it's probably my favourite racing game full stop. Drifting is key, and you need to master that button for higher difficulties, but it's not that hard.

The music is fantastic, with the opening race Ocean View having a mix of You Can Do Anything (from Sonic CD) and Super Sonic Racing (from Sonic R) and almost every other song is a remix too. The only two I can think of are **** Park and Cosmic Fall, which are used for Roulette Road and Egg Hangar respectively, but I like those tunes anyway.

The voice clips are new, some are recycled (Sonic's death scream from Generations is noticable) and it's nice to see Shadow's voice actor get some love too, as I think all of Shadow's clips are new. Yes Shadow sounds older. Yes, he doesn't sound depressed anymore. I like it...oh my, Shadow smiling...I have to get used to that.
Anyway, the voice acting is top notch (especially Dr. Eggman, but you wouldn't expect less from the great Mike Pollock!)

The characters are all varied. You have Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles 'Tails' Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose, Shadow the Hedgehog, Metal Sonic and Dr. Eggman from Sonic the Hedgehog. Beat and Gum from Jet Set Radio. Ralph from Disney's Wreck-It Ralph. Danica Patrick from Nascar. Vyse from Skies of Arcadia. Alex Kidd (remember him?). Ulala and Pudding from Space Channel 5. The list goes on, although one notable mention is AGES. This...thing...is a mix of a Daytona car, an AfterBurner jet, and a ship from Space Harrier, all SEGA franchises. Also the last character you are likely to unlock.

Overall, this game is fantastic, and any SEGA fan should grab, or if you just like one SEGA franchise, get it. Or if you like Racing games, get it. Or if you don't like any of this, try it at least. It's a pleasent suprise.

Design, Create, Innovate
Kevin

Registered
07-10-2013, 03:46 PM
This is why you're such a cool person. I love this game for both Wii U and 3DS and it's a really awesome game.

My Pokémon Emporium

ASB Profile

S.I.B. Fanfiction

My Art Gallery

CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Is there a difference between the handheld and consoles versions at all?

Design, Create, Innovate
Kevin

Registered
07-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Not at all. Except the Wii U version has this little feature where you can view the remote control's point of view but the 3DS doesn't.

My Pokémon Emporium

ASB Profile

S.I.B. Fanfiction

My Art Gallery

CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Ah okay.

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Review 3: Ratchet and Clank

Price Range at launch: £30-£40 (Initial), £5-£15 (PSN), £30-£45 (Trilogy)
Launched: November 4th 2002 (Initial), June 29th 2012 (Trilogy)
Developer: Insomniac Games
Genre: Third-Person Shooter, Platformer, RPG.

Here I present one of my favourite games of all time.

Released in 2002 for the PlayStation 2 and later again in 2012 for PlayStation 3, Ratchet and Clank features a trigger happy rodent and his robot smacking goons with crazy weapons on a galaxy saving quest.

First I should give you the story.

The Blarg are a race from Orxon, a now polluted planet. Their leader, Chairman Drek, wants to supply a new planet. Fair enough. The problem is how he wants to do so. Removing life and resources from other planets (and even parts of the actual planets) to build a new world, then tow it into the best orbit, removing any planet that occupies that orbit.

Clank escapes Drek's robot plant, and flees to Veldin, where he meets Ratchet, agrees to start his new ship, later crashes said ship, and the adventure begins.

These characters are of course, lively and full of humour. They each have unique personalities, and each character somehow goes well with another.

Now, gameplay. You can run, jump, perform melee attacks with Ratchet's Omniwrench, and get weaponry...such deadly deadly weapons. Ratchet is quite agile, he can jump between walls, double jump, swim in deep water with limited oxygen, and all that jazz.

Ratchet does start pretty weak, with only 4 units of health, his basic moves and one weapon. But he buys more weapons and gadgets and even additional health via vendors and other NPCs throughout the galaxy with Bolts, the currency here. One issue I have with this game is that bolts are...worthless. 1 physical bolt that you see is worth exactly that. So getting funding can be difficult.

Clank gets upgrades too, one lets you glide, jump higher and longer, another does the same but adds strafing and a ground pound for switches, and the third removes these, but let's you swim faster. Each cost something of course.

Now the worlds are all vibrant. Each with enemies, crates to smash, multiple paths to explore. And a bit of warning, these worlds ARE HUGE! In this worlds there are items to get, gadgets, weapons, some optional some not, Gold Bolts which can be sued late in-game to upgrade certain weapons, and Skill Points which are bragging rights really.

Now weapons and gadgets are varied. Let me give you a run down of the weapons you can get.

Bomb Glove, Pyrocitor, Blaster, Walloper, Glove of Doom, Mine Glove, Taunter, Suck Cannon, Drone Device, Devastator, Visibomb Gun, Tesla Claw, Morph-o-Ray, R.Y.N.O and more.

Gadgets wise, there are less, but they have more refined purposes. The Swingshot let's you reach far off areas, the Trespasser let's you hack doors and barriers, the Magneboots let you walk on certain walls and ceilings, and the list goes on.

As you can see, these can be a lot of fun to use, and though they are somewhat situational, they are still used a lot, so they never become worthless.

This game is responsive, easy to learn, and as the series beginning, rather simplistic. This game has a kick a** soundtrack, 19 or so massive worlds, lots to see, collect, grind money for, and do. I still play this game to this day.

I say get this game if you own a PS2 or PS3, as Sony has had 10 games from this series in 10 years with an 11th soon for the 10th anniversary. This a series everyone should try, no matter the age.

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-11-2013, 02:10 AM
It would be greatly appreciated if I could have some suggestions of games to review, so I can get those played and written (And maybe video reviews, if you are nice enough!)

If anyone has a suggestion, post it either here or via PM. Thanks ^_^

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-11-2013, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2013, 05:46 AM by CyChill.)
Review 4: Shadow the Hedgehog
Requested by: @Legacy

Price Range at Launch: £30-£40
Launched: November/December 2005 (All Consoles)
Developer: Sonic Team/SEGA
Genre: Platformer, Third Person Shooter

Oh boy, did this game stir the nest. When it’s described as the start of the dark age of Sonic, that should say something, but Shadow the Hedgehog for the Gamecube, Xbox and PS2 is NOT the worst thing ever.

Those not familiar with this game, it took Shadow’s past and made a story out of it. 11 of them. There is one true ending via a last story, but the other 10 are required before unlocking that, so you need to play the game 10 times. No biggy.

Now, for the sake of a plot summary, you get the intro, and the last story as anything inbetween means nothing.
Shadow is stood wondering about his past, Maria, and why he can’t remember anything when suddenly a giant comet comes, bringing aliens that begin destroying the populace. You are not being tricked. Aliens. In Sonic the Hedgehog.
Shadow is contacted by their leader, Black Doom, and is ordered to find the seven Chaos Emeralds.

And now the ending.
After getting them all, Shadow and the gang (Including Dr Eggman himself!) board the Black Comet to unleash hell on the Black Arms and stop Black Doom. Once there, he steals the Emeralds and induces Chaos Control to, get this, connect the Comet to the Earth. Why? He wants to (Kiddies look away now) harvest humans as food for his race. He begins by emitting a planet wide nerve gas to immobilize any victims, and he then leaves, Emeralds in tow. Shadow however, resists the gas somehow and gives chase, with the gang managing to flee to one of Eggman’s bases. Shadow goes after Black Doom, only for him to learn he was created from Doom’s blood, and, once seeing a message broadcast worldwide explaining that Eggman’s grandfather, Gerald Robotnik, created the Eclipse Cannon and Shadow to destroy Black Doom and the Comet.

Black Doom vows to destroy Shadow for treason, at which point Shadow takes back the Emeralds, turning into Super Shadow and kicking the non existent rear of Doom hard, presumably killing him.
At this point, Shadow does the most awesome thing I have ever seen him do. He rips the Comet out of the Earth, warps it to space and THROWS it into the path of the Eclipse Cannon, preventing the aliens from ever returning. After this, he vows to leave his past behind and move on, while on Earth the world praises Shadow and Eggman remembers his grandfather in a more fond light once again.

So, rather pointless story aside, how does the game play?
Shadow controls as you expect, being able to jump, combo punches, use melee weapons and guns etc. Homing Attacks and the Spin Dash are back. The game is more than the standard fare we are used to.

Shadow can use weapons now. Guns tend to aim automatically, and melee weapons are melee weapons. It all works well, and some weapons are downright crazy.

The main gimmick is morality. In a stage, you get 2 to 3 missions to do, one hero, dark and neutral. Each mission takes you to a different stage. You need to go through many different routes to get the ten endings, and there are 5 final stages, each with two endings. This may turn some people of, as replaying stages isn’t great, but hey, you don’t have to take the same route. In fact, there are over 300. XD

The missions range from killing x amount of enemies, finding x amount of something, destroying this that or the other, getting to a certain point and so on. This doesn’t bug me (Except for a few missions, but they are all optional) so it’s whether you want to do one thing or the other.

Speaking of enemies, they come in two allegiances per stage. Dark and Hero. These can be GUN soldiers, Black Arms or even the many robots of the Eggman Empire. Killing enemies of one allegiance earns you energy for your Dark meter (If you killed a hero enemy) or vice versa. Once charged, Shadow becomes either Hero or Dark Shadow, where he is invincible and has infinite ammo for the duration. He also carries a unique power for each. As Dark Shadow, he can cause a massive explosion called Chaos Blast, or as Hero Shadow, he can pull a Chaos Control and fly through the stage (Or slow time in a boss fight).

The stages and bosses are okay, but some bosses are re-used, like Black Bull and the Egg Breaker, and some stages are clearly better than others. It’s down to preference though.

Overall, with a story that might as well be non-existent, decent control and gimmicks, and a LOT of reply value, this is a game you should at least try once. Just beware of the overuse of the word damn.

Design, Create, Innovate