Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Senseless Reviews
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Senseless Reviews
CyChill
Games Designer

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
07-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Anyone can request a review, so fire away. You get 50 Pokedollars once the review is uploaded too. Cash incentives!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KqDVNowKU

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-13-2013, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2013, 05:46 AM by CyChill.)
Review 5: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Requested by: @Legacy

Now, here I will cover two games. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team is first.

The game takes a very odd stance on both Dungeon games and Pokémon. You're a human, who wakes one day as a Pokémon, who, alongside your partner, goes off to become a Rescue Team and stop the natural disasters, all the while unveiling a greater threat. That's all I'll say plot wise, as the story really is a highlight here. After the main game, you get a post game section with loads to do, so replayability is high.

Throughout the game you traverse dungeons. Each floor is randomly generated, so no trek is ever the same. Plus, you can get jobs to do in dungeons for a different spin, such as finding an item or Pokémon. This kind of gameplay is really fun to be honest, and each dungeon has it's own challenges.

Now, the game is NOT perfect. For one, it's a bit too short in terms of main story. Apart from that, the story is great. Additionally, and this is a big problem I have, is the difficulty. Unless you go out of your way to grind, you are going to get your rear handed to you. I am not kidding. This applies for both bosses and dungeons themselves. Magma Cavern and ANY 50+ Floor dungeon will have you low on PP for a long time, and there aren't enough items to save you.

Aside from those two problems, which may seem minor (But you WILL loath Articuno!) the game is worth a play.

Now, for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, and boy do I have some stuff to say here.

The initial premise is the same, human turns into Pokémon, go save world. The only difference is, the game LOVES its own story! How much so? You get flashbacks to a conversation you had 5 minutes ago!

I cannot stress this enough. This game, in terms of overall length in the main story, IS longer, but a lot, and I mean A LOT is cutscene time. On top of that, the difficulty issue isn't fully addressed, as now dungeons can be even happier to smack you about.

The second story is better in terms of story taking it very much like PMD1, but by god some of those dungeons and bosses are downright EVIL!

The gameplay isn't really changed from PMD1. Your Pokémon form is still seemingly random, and the game has the same structure, only this game likes reminding you that you are part of a Guild, so a portion of your proceeds never pass through your hands!

Overall, I can't help but feel...PMD2 is worse than the original, if only because of how much it loves that story. Don't get me wrong, it's a good story, but dear lord there is such a thing as too much! Plus, the only characters I remember from either are Wigglytuff, only because he seems cute and absent minded, only deep down he is a brutal warrior!

Honestly, get PMD1, and if you are interested, get PMD2. I don't have much to say on Sky, but apparently that has even MORE story, and PMD3: Gates to Infinity is something I'm avoiding, likely because of PMD2.

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Review 6: Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Versions

Back when Gen 4 rolled through, we got the remakes of Gold and Silver. Now, for many, this is the best thing ever. For myself, not so much. Let's explore why.

As a young boy, you run an errand for Professor Elm, and a Pokémon is stolen by your Rival and son of Giovanni, Silver. On this task, you get inspired to take the Pokémon League challenge, and also come across Team Rocket under the command of Archer, who solely want to locate Giovanni. Once stopping them, you beat the League, smash through the rather bland Kanto, and then beat Red. That's it.

As you can tell, I don't like this story. For 75% of the game it is the same of Generation 1, only Team Rocket has a different motive. You run an errand, your rival is a jerk, Team Rocket run about and pose no threat, you beat the League.

On top of that, Johto, as a region, is pretty damn boring. There are caves, grassy fields and water. That's it. The areas are, actually, less distinct than in Kanto in Generation 1.

Actually, for a game, it is quite large, if you stick Kanto and Johto together, it equals around Hoenn or Unova length. That means, yes, the regions are pretty damn small. This leads into another problem. You get your 4th badge around Lv 25. After this, you can go after any of the next 3 badges in any order, all of which, are Lv 30+. However, the wild Pokémon in ALL of the connecting areas are barely Lv 25. That's right. Even as you approach your SEVENTH badge, the Pokémon don't get too strong.

It doesn't end there though. On your way through the one cave between you and the 8th badge at Lv 40, the Wild Pokémon, which are your best defense against the gym's type by the way, are not even Lv 30.

This actually goes even further into the game though. As in Kanto, Pokémon barely increase further than they did in Generation 1! Which, from a story perspective makes some sense, but there is gameplay - story segregation!

The leveling issues in the wild aren't the only issue with Pokémon in Johto. The selection, as a whole, is rather repetitive and bland. I asked a friend what his HG/SS team was, and all he could remember was Typhlosion.

And if THAT wasn't enough, the difficulty likes to jump around too! The regular trainers are surprisingly easy, but then the Gym Leaders, or many Bosses for that matter, but especially Gym Leaders, do something like this:

-Weak Pokémon - Fairly Easy Kill
-Stronger Pokémon than any trainer by this point - Kicks you hard

People remember this as a certain Miltank or Gengar, but it applies almost universally. Especially to Clair. Because the Ice types you can get are so incredibly pathetic at that stage AND because the opportunities for gaining experience are slim to none at that point too, you are going to be grinding A LOT of Lv 20 Pokémon. How many exactly?

Let's say you caught a Lv 20 Swinub. Simple right? All you find south of Blackthorn City tends to be Geodude around the same level.

The experience formula is [Image: ExpGainFormula.png]

where:

a is equal to 1 if the fainted Pokémon is wild, and 1.5 if the fainted Pokémon is owned by a Trainer.
t is equal to 1 if the winning Pokémon's OT is its current owner, 1.5 if the Pokémon was gained in a domestic trade, and (from Generation IV onwards) 1.7 if the Pokémon was gained in an international trade.
b is the base experience yield of the fainted Pokémon's species, listed here.
e is equal to 1.5 if the winning Pokémon is holding a Lucky Egg, and 1 otherwise.
L is the level of the fainted Pokémon. In Generation V, Lp is the level of the victorious Pokémon.

s is the number of Pokémon that participated in the battle and have not fainted. If any Pokémon in the party is holding an Exp. Share, s is equal to 2, and for the rest of the Pokémon, s is equal to twice the number of Pokémon that participated instead. If more than one Pokémon is holding an Exp. Share, s is equal to twice the number of Pokémon holding the Exp. Share for each Pokémon holding one.

Let's take this to be a 1 on 1 match between Swinub and Geodude, both Lv 20.

a = 1, t = 1, b = 73, e = 1, l = 20, s = 1.

Therefore:

EXP=(1x1x73x1x20)/(7x1)

Therefore: 1460/7 208.57 (209 rounded) per battle AT THAT LEVEL!

Swinub is in the Slow EXP group. That means it requires A LOT of EXP to level up. Using a table, I can tell you, the amount of EXP needed for that Swinub to get even close to usable here (Lv 35) will require 48320 EXP to get there. Divide that by 209 and you get... 231 Geodude. Yeah, no. Not doing that.

This game drags people. It looks pretty, sounds pretty, but from a gameplay standard, not, oh Johto is interesting or, oh, you can do this, but from the core aspect of the series, battling, it falls flat.

I don't hate this game. Some features are nice, like Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza and the Battle Frontier, but....it doesn't really save the game given all the hell it put me through the get there.

Overall, the game....is okay, but should only be played by a Pokémon Fan, not by a casual, as this will (As it nearly did with me) turn you away.

Oh, and Red isn't that epic guys, sorry. Tongue

Design, Create, Innovate
Legacy
Resident Metalhead

Registered
07-15-2013, 03:58 PM
The real Red is more bada** than the Red in the game. The Red in the game is based more off of Ash sadly Sad

I actually loved HGSS but that's because Silver was the game that really pulled me into Pokemon. You're right in that a casual player may well be put off with the grinding though. But then again this goes for a lot of RPGs, not just Pokemon. Final Fantasy III is another game that involves quite hefty grinding for the DS. It's all a matter of how much a player enjoys the game.

Good reviews so far though =]
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Actually, the grinding wouldn't bother me, but again, my issue is that it can be VERY easily avoided! I cannot stress that enough. There is no reason for the low levels. That and the game just drags. It really drags.

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Review 7: Pokémon Black and White

So, Generation 5 of Pokémon was viewed negatively. All new Pokémon only. A decent story. Surely this would bomb. Well, Famitsu gave it 40/40, and it ranks that high with myself as well.

The game starts like any other, fill the Pokedex, explore Unova with your two rivals and achieve your personal goals (Yes, character development!), and, main focus of the game, stop Team Plasma.

Along the way you get the 8 Gym Badges of Unova, all of which come in rather camouflaged gyms, as they no longer come with the same exterior. Throughout the game, your rivals, Cheren and Bianca, develop along and find out what they want in life, while yourself, the hero, are destined for greater. Enter Team Plasma.

Team Plasma, are an odd bunch. The grunts are hypocritical, their leader, N, is gifted, and their higher ranks are all manner of odd.

Team Plasma, or at least some of the Grunts, a few of the Seven Sages and N want to free Pokémon from People, as N was raised by Ghetsis, the true leader, to be the perfect weapon against humans and Pokémon alike. By raising N to hate people by only showing him abused Pokémon, he turned him into what he needed, someone to control Team Plasma, issue the order to release all Pokémon nationwide, and then Ghetsis would come in, take back Team Plasma and rule over the world as the only one with Pokémon.

N, of course, and the grunts and some of the sages, believe they are actually doing the right thing, as some Pokémon are actually abused, and as they reveal in sequel, Team Plasma (The good guys anyway) are actually more effective than any other police force in this world.

To achieve his goals, N will recruit either Reshiram or Zekrom to assist him, with you getting the other dragon once storming his castle. N defeats the Champion, making him by right the strongest trainer, and challenges you once more as the Team Plasma King. After his defeat, Ghetsis appears, berates N, reveals his plan, to N's horror, and proceeds to try and destroy you.

Once the castle begins the collapse, Ghetsis escapes with the help of the Shadow Triad, N bids his farewell, and thus ends my favourite Pokémon storyline...well....half of it anyway.

The gameplay is MUCH improved. TMs are infinite use, the EXP system is overhauled to minimize grinding a newly caught Pokémon, the game progresses at a steady difficulty and you only ever have to use a HM ONCE!

On top of that, I love the Generation 5 Pokémon. Yes, they are unorthodox in design, but damn it they are fantastic to use. One of the selling points is no pre Gen V Pokémon in the main story. This allows me to run around and experiment a lot. I love the feeling of always trying something new. I lost count of how many times I beat the game.

The only negative is that the game is rather linear, and the post-game is rather lacking, although that is true for any RPG after a point. Apart from that, the game is fantastic.

The game progresses steadily, never throwing a difficulty spike your way until the final boss, which might I add, is probably the hardest final boss in the series. The Pokémon are a joy to use, and the story is fantastic, and I'm very happy this game got a sequel, but not happy it's the second shortest generation (Shortest overall in Japan)

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Review 8: Spyro the Dragon

Spyro was the first game I ever played...ever...and it's damn fun.

As a cute purple deadly dragon, it's your job to fly around to various worlds, collect gems, eggs, and free Dragons to progress from hub world to hub world. Each Ballonist requires something to progress, X amount of Dragons, gems or eggs.

There are 80 Dragons, 12000 gems (14000 counting the 100% bonus stage) and 12 eggs.

Eggs are obtained from thieves who are fast and annoying, so nab em quick. Gems come in wooden boxes, which can be broken with your Flame Breath or Charge attack, Steel crates which are only broken via Charge, and Large crates, which require either a hidden key or explosion.

Pressing circle uses your fire, and holding square lets you charge. X is jump, and pressing x in the air lets you glide, and while gliding, triangle let's you drop down instantly.

There are some moves Spyro gets in certain area. In contact with a kiss from a red fairy, his Flame is increased to become the strongest move in the game, strong enough to break Large Crates. In an area with glowing arrows, charging in the respective direction of said arrows turns Spyro into the Supercharge. He is super fast, strong and can jump, until he lets go of the button or hits a wall...or jumps.

Enemies come in many flavours. Basic foes can be killed via either attack, armoured ones need a charge, and big ones need a warming up. Big armoured ones require more creativity however.

Alongside hub worlds and standard stages, there are also Flights. These are levels where Spyro always flies, has a time limit and needs to destroy 4 sets of 8 objects, often chests, trains, planes and rings. There are also Boss stages, which culminate in a boss battle, but these are actually optional unless going for 100% as you can meet requirements to progress from other stages.

The story is simple. Gnasty Gnorc is angry at the Dragons for kicking him out, turns gems into his warriors and traps Dragons in crystals, all to conquer the realms.

The realms themselves are quite nice. Artisans features stylish stone works. Peace Keepers, is ironically, a war torn wasteland. Magic Crafters is a mountaintop land of wizardry. Beast Makers is a wilderness full of beasts. Dream Weavers is a land of dreams and nightmares clashing in a fantasy world. Gnasty's World is a fortified technical fortress.

The game plays well, Spyro reacts accurately, and his health is never too low, and if it is, just torch a small critter to release a butterfly and heal Sparx, your dragonfly who also acts a health meter and can pull in treasure.

As a whole, the game has a difficulty curve and never spikes, although some stages can hide things from you, but exploring is key. The worlds are big and vibrant and each individual world is unique, despite each world fitting a larger theme.

I love this game, and you should too. If it was good enough to hook me into gaming, it can have an effect on you guys too.

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-23-2013, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM by CyChill.)
The next review won't be up for a week or so. Thank you for your patience

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Amazon says the game I ordered for the next review will arrive on the 25th to the 6th. What's the odds it arrives today, as Amazon is pretty darn fast! XD

Design, Create, Innovate
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
07-24-2013, 07:17 AM
*Promises game that is being delivered for review*
*Game doesn't arrive before leaving home for a while*

Does that make me a worse person?

Design, Create, Innovate