Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Shedinja outside of the game
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Shedinja outside of the game
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
08-03-2015, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015, 08:17 AM by medicham.)
[Image: ShedinjaEXDragon11.jpg]
if you didn't know, it was once, and still may be possible to get a high HP shedinja through ditto in a double battle in game. but even without that, if you take out typing (made for game play sakes) the ability wonder guard is a little OP. this changes the rules that wonder guard goes by. here is how i plan on making it work in an RPG

1. it cannot be used while moving or using another technique.
2. the user can be affected by special / non-attacks under certain circumstances. like telekinesis, gravity, disable, glare, hypnosis, nightshade, scary face, leer, growl, trick room, sing, curse, confusion, supersonic, hex.
3. if the user runs out of energy, wonder guard will fail.
4. weather effects and entry hazards will not harm the user just as attacks do not.
5. status effects are harder to induce due to the nature of wonder guard's protection. freezing, poisoning, electric or direct paralysis, burning from a special or physical attack, sleep induced from powders or other materials, confusion from energy beams.

|ASB Profile|                              |Sprite Shop|                                                |RP Trainer Card|

[Image: gengarsig_zpsce68b465.jpg]
Isaac
for Smash 4

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
08-04-2015, 01:32 AM
Of the 3 Pokemon that get Transform (Mew, Smeargle, and Ditto), only one of those has an appreciable HP to begin with, and its type will still be Bug/Ghost. Even so, Mew has so many toys that transforming into Shedinja might actually be a waste of time for it. Smeargle is similar.

Status attacks and status conditions will harm it normally anyway, so your suggestions 2 and 4 - and 5 - actually make Wonder Guard stronger. I thought you wanted to nerf it. All Wonder Guard does now is it prevents any physical/special attack that isn't super-effective or typeless against the user. All other attacks will still go through, and Mold Breaker just ignores it entirely.

I have disappeared from here. As apology, please accept this cheery picture.

[Image: 314qek6.png]
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

Registered
08-04-2015, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015, 08:57 AM by medicham.)
(08-04-2015, 01:32 AM)Isaac Wrote: Of the 3 Pokemon that get Transform (Mew, Smeargle, and Ditto), only one of those has an appreciable HP to begin with, and its type will still be Bug/Ghost. Even so, Mew has so many toys that transforming into Shedinja might actually be a waste of time for it. Smeargle is similar.

Status attacks and status conditions will harm it normally anyway, so your suggestions 2 and 4 - and 5 - actually make Wonder Guard stronger. I thought you wanted to nerf it. All Wonder Guard does now is it prevents any physical/special attack that isn't super-effective or typeless against the user. All other attacks will still go through, and Mold Breaker just ignores it entirely.

this isn't really for the in game / metagame purposes and based on that logic. it doesn't really make sense to me why wonder guard only blocks certain attacks. a lot of status conditions are induced by means of matter and energy like the attacks wonder guard blocks, so i adjusted that. i'm basically considering it a barrier, like protect, light screen, and reflect. i am not trying to reduce it, but make it more logical for rp(g), since type really only makes sense in the games, in a lot of cases. and one reason i chose shedinja is because i love ghost pokemon and because this isn't for console games, no one will really have a mew.

also, number two is how to counter it, since i said can, not can't.

there are a lot of abilities, moves, and etc that would be revised in my Pokemon world, just like in ASB, when i GM. not sure if mold breaker makes sense outside of the game, but maybe it is like a field that cancels out certain affects around the user. i was going to say it doesn't really make sense, so i guess i was looking at it another way.

i figured some ways around it include sound, for instance the trainer's voice still gets through, so would sing. shedinja still needs to see, so visually is another way to attack. so pretty much mentally, sensory, trapping, telekinesis, and you can think of some others. no need to list them all, why spoil it in case i actually use this in an rpg? i will give one more hint though with one i came up with myself. by treating it as a barrier, what happens outside of it is another story.

it's not like i am making just one pokemon unbalanced and unfair. every pokemon has great potential, hence why i want to do an rpg again. lots of freedom, yet some rules to regulate things. no level cap, but still stats (already made a calculator that counts exp and how much needed and such, up to infinite levels and stats a long time ago.)

|ASB Profile|                              |Sprite Shop|                                                |RP Trainer Card|

Isaac
for Smash 4

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
08-04-2015, 11:53 AM
I've ended up playing a Pokemon-based tabletop RPG system before. A lot of the attacks and such are similar to how they are done in the video game, though the power levels are overall generally reduced, and you have a very large field to deal with. Wonder Guard is largely the same, just a tiny bit weaker since it can be attacked multiple times...and the move Bite is apparently really common.

Not long afterward, I became the reason why Shedinja is banned from our games.

And it was all legitimate, within the confines of the system. Shedinja is just stupidly good. I came to the conclusion that Shedinja and Wonder Guard can't really be 'fixed' when going within the confines of said system, so unless you can find a way to actually make Shedinja reasonable without having a laundry list of rules and exceptions at the ready, you are probably better off just excluding it altogether, since Shedinja is too situational and tricky to implement with no issues whatsoever.

I have disappeared from here. As apology, please accept this cheery picture.

[Image: 314qek6.png]
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

Registered
08-04-2015, 07:56 PM
(08-04-2015, 11:53 AM)Isaac Wrote: I've ended up playing a Pokemon-based tabletop RPG system before. A lot of the attacks and such are similar to how they are done in the video game, though the power levels are overall generally reduced, and you have a very large field to deal with. Wonder Guard is largely the same, just a tiny bit weaker since it can be attacked multiple times...and the move Bite is apparently really common.

Not long afterward, I became the reason why Shedinja is banned from our games.

And it was all legitimate, within the confines of the system. Shedinja is just stupidly good. I came to the conclusion that Shedinja and Wonder Guard can't really be 'fixed' when going within the confines of said system, so unless you can find a way to actually make Shedinja reasonable without having a laundry list of rules and exceptions at the ready, you are probably better off just excluding it altogether, since Shedinja is too situational and tricky to implement with no issues whatsoever.

i think the said above rules should cover it up enough. the reason wonder guard isn't removed and replaced as protect is it's a more powerful version. i do plan on including energy as a stat, so it may not be that big of an issue for me. i see a lot of barriers only take one hit at a time, like reactive armor apparently. i don't mind how powerful it is considering there are still many ways to counter it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pokemon Rhythm Game... xD XD xKiYoMiNaTiONx 5 421 07-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Last Post by Flareon
  Register any 2DS, 3DS, or 3DS XL, and a qualifying game...you can get PKMN X or Y!! xKiYoMiNaTiONx 3 391 03-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Last Post by CyChill
  Too much news. X and Y Game Show. Ombra 12 1,235 08-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Last Post by Hottie567
  New Pokemon Rumble Game for wii U DerpyDerp 13 1,705 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Last Post by shenanigans