Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Shining Pokemon, Crystal Pokemon and Star Pokemon Trading Cards
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Shining Pokemon, Crystal Pokemon and Star Pokemon Trading Cards
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

PokéDollars: ₪1,179.73
Veterans
11-26-2012, 07:40 PM
We all know Shiny Pokemon exist in video games, but they also exist in the TCG.

[Image: ShiningGyaradosNeoRevelation65.jpg]

Shining Pokemon were Basic Pokemon cards with the Pokemon sporting their alternate or "shiny" colorings. However, their attacks were complex, forcing you to mix Energies in order to attack, and most of these attacks barely did anything, or sometimes, had effects to possibly null the attempted attack. You were also only allowed one copy of a Shining Pokemon of your choice in your Deck.

Next up were the Crystal Monsters, and these were even more of a pain then Shining Pokemon were. There were a handful of Pokemon that were evolutions like Kingdra, Crobat and Golem, and unlike Shining Pokemon, Crystal Pokemon were NOT treated as Basic Pokemon, and had to be evolved to play them if need be. They also suffered from the same pratfall as Shining Pokemon with the bizarre Energy combinations, although obscenely more apparent.

[Image: KingdraAquapolis148.jpg]

Take Crystal Kingdra's Dual Burn attack. Two Psychic Energies, one Electric and one Colorless Energy for an attack that only does 60 damage. Plus, if you flipped tails on it's effect, one of those Energies has to be discarded (for each tail flipped out of 2). These cards were pretty much just for show, and were pretty much cannon fodder in a competitive deck.

The final set of shiny Pokemon cards were the "Star" Pokemon cards, named that way because of the star icon in the name at the top of the card.

[Image: FlareonEXPowerKeepers100.jpg]

These Pokemon, like the Shining Pokemon, were Basic cards, and only 1 Star card was allowed in your Deck.

These cards were pretty balanced, most sporting attacks that the Pokemon could learn in game (for example Flareon 'Star''s attack is Flamethrower, an attack Flareon can learn in-game). Star cards are also the most balanced of the three sets, and the attacks don't have bizarre Energy combinations or power shortages when it comes to attacks, but they, like their previous incarnations, are just for show, even though these cards were the most balanced.

So, these are the 3 sets of "Shiny" Pokemon cards. The question is; did you have any of these cards growing up?

| My Ask Thread | 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."
(07-03-2013, 07:37 PM)Skye Wrote: You requesting it for free is like walking into a video game store and asking for a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever because it sucked.
49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 6c 6d 6f 73 74 20 61 73 20 73 6d 61 72 74 20 61 73 20 6d 65 21 20
shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
I have an Alakazam Star card, as well as the three Crown Beast ones, but that's about it. Growing up, I had hordes of Light and Dark cards, but no Shining or Crystal ones. Ah well.

smoakdragon
slightly confused cinnamon bun

PokéDollars: ₪1,264.39
Veterans
11-28-2012, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2012, 12:33 AM by smoakdragon.)
(11-27-2012, 10:21 PM)Incineration~ Wrote: I have an Alakazam Star card, as well as the three Crown Beast ones, but that's about it. Growing up, I had hordes of Light and Dark cards, but no Shining or Crystal ones. Ah well.

Like Incineration, I have a few Light (Golduck and I thin Azumarill) and Dark (Charizard, Blastoise, Flareon, Dragonair, Crobat, Gyarados, Marowak, and Magacargo... probably a few more XD) Pokemon Cards.

Edit: I actually went through my Pokemon cards (yes I really looked through all of them) and found more light and dark Pokemon cards :3

As for the starred "shiny" Pokemon Cards I have a Jolteon... but I'm pretty sure it came in a deck. (So that one doesn't really count!
And I have a couple Pokemon cards that don't fall under any of these categories, but they still have colors of a shiny version of that Pokemon (they're Lotad and Yanma by the way). I'm not really sure if they're rare or not...

[Image: t8q1bp.png]

Credits to Ajax for my signature!
Rouge007
Goofball Sharpshooter

PokéDollars: ₪815.88
Veterans
12-01-2012, 12:07 AM
(11-28-2012, 12:11 AM)smoakdragon Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 10:21 PM)Incineration~ Wrote: I have an Alakazam Star card, as well as the three Crown Beast ones, but that's about it. Growing up, I had hordes of Light and Dark cards, but no Shining or Crystal ones. Ah well.

Like Incineration, I have a few Light (Golduck and I thin Azumarill) and Dark (Charizard, Blastoise, Flareon, Dragonair, Crobat, Gyarados, Marowak, and Magacargo... probably a few more XD) Pokemon Cards.

Edit: I actually went through my Pokemon cards (yes I really looked through all of them) and found more light and dark Pokemon cards :3

As for the starred "shiny" Pokemon Cards I have a Jolteon... but I'm pretty sure it came in a deck. (So that one doesn't really count!
And I have a couple Pokemon cards that don't fall under any of these categories, but they still have colors of a shiny version of that Pokemon (they're Lotad and Yanma by the way). I'm not really sure if they're rare or not...

I remember you saying u thought my bro and i had one of these cards XD i dont think we do thou XD

[Image: 33a8c9u.jpg]
thank you @smoakdragon for the sig!
Leon§Noel
Straight up AdBass™

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
12-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Shining Noctowl and Shining Magikarp are the ones I had.

I'm pretty sure I had a Star Slowbro.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Pokemon Card Attacks Miles Prower 0 655 06-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Last Post by Miles Prower
  Pokemon TCG Moves to the Games Bloom 0 786 02-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Last Post by Bloom
  Buying Pokemon Cards for PD Porkchop 9 1,806 12-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Last Post by Shole
  Do you still have all your cards? The Governor 13 2,279 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Last Post by Porkchop