Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Sky King's Guide to Competitive Battling
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Sky King's Guide to Competitive Battling
Clockwork Soldier
Giggle Protocol

PokéDollars: ₪582.39
Registered
01-29-2012, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM by Zueq.)
This guide will teach you the basics of Competitive Battling, from type match ups, to the most commonly used Pokemon and tiers in the meta game!

Type Match Ups

Spoiler:
Type Match Ups. The effectivity and ineffectivity of types in relation to one another. Here is a chart for you all to refer to in times of need!

[Image: PokemonTypeChart.png]

As noted, there are dual types out there! So it's possible for moves to become 4x super effective! It is also possible to do only 1 quarter of normal damage as well! Sad

Natures

Spoiler:
Natures. Now, these have effects on battling for sure. Having the right nature is extremely important. Natures effect your Pokemon's stats; decreasing one, and increasing another. Here is the full list of Natures and their effects.
+ Means the stat is raised by 10% of it's normal value. - Means it is decreased by 10% of it's normal value.

Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)

Bashful (No stat changes)

Bold (+Def, -Atk)

Brave (+Atk, -Spe)

Calm (+Sp.Def, -Atk)

Careful (+Sp.Def, -Sp.Atk)

Docile (No stat changes)

Gentle (+Spe, -Def)

Hardy (No stat changes)

Hasty (+Spe, -Def)

Impish (+Def, -Sp.Atk)

Jolly (+Spe, -Sp.Atk)

Lax (+Def, -Sp.Def)

Lonely (+Atk, -Def)

Mild (+Sp.Atk -Def)

Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)

Naive (+Spe, -Sp.Def)

Naughty (+Atk, -Spe)

Quiet (+Sp.Atk, -Spe)

Quirky (No stat changes)

Rash (+Sp.Atk, -Sp.Def)

Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)

Sassy (+Sp.Def, -Spe)

Serious (No stat changes)

Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

EV's

Spoiler:
Effort values (abbreviated EVs and previously called Stat Exp) are attributes which give bonuses to a Pokémon's stats and improve differently depending which Pokémon they defeat. These bonuses, in the form of effort points, are gained in addition to bonuses gained by increasing level. A Pokémon which increases in level using a Rare Candy instead of battling does not gain any EVs, making it weaker than a Pokémon who increases in level normally.

Roughly speaking, defeating fast Pokémon increases Speed better than fighting slow Pokémon, defeating Pokémon with high hit points improves HP more than defeating Pokémon with low HP, and so on. For example, fighting 100 Machop will improve a Pokémon's Attack stat more than fighting 100 Abra of the same level, whereas the Abra will improve the Special Attack stat more.
-Bulbapedia

Basically, depending on the pokemon defeated, different EV's are earned for different stats.

And now some Elaboration on EV's from Non Sequitur!

For every four EV's earned in a stat, you gain one point in that specific stat. Your Pokemon can earn a maximum of 255 in each stat and a maximum of 510 total. Since one stat point is gained only for every 4 EV's, the greatest number that your Pokemon can earn in each stat (that helps, anyway) is 252. So if you were EV training a physical sweeper, a good set would be 252 Attack, 252 Speed, and 4 HP. There are also special conditions and items that help you earn EV's.

Pokerus is a special condition that Pokemon very rarely get. Once you get it, it can be spread within a short period of time. If you see a purple symbol on your Pokemon's summary page, then the Pokerus is still able to be spread. If you see a little red smiley, then it has worn off and cannot be spread, however, the effects still last with that specific Pokemon. Pokerus can be spread forever as long as you have an infected Pokemon in your PC box. Pokerus will not wear off in the PC box. With Pokerus, the EV's that you gain during battle are multiplied by four. This can be very helpful while EV training.

The Power Items are also incredibly useful during EV training and should be obtained as soon as possible if you are into competitive battling. The Power Items, depending on which you use, add 4 EV's to a stat. These EV's are doubled by Pokerus as well. There are six Power Items. These are the Power Weight, Power Bracer, Power Belt, Power Lens, Power Band, and Power Anklet. These help HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, respectively.

An item called the Macho Brace doubles EV's just like Pokerus. If you attach it to your Pokerus-infected Pokemon, it multiplies your Pokemon's EV's by four instead of just two! Vitamins are also very useful for beginning your EV training. With each vitamin fed to your Pokemon, it increases your EV’s by 10 in that certain stat. There are six different vitamins, HP Up, Protein, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, and Carbos. These boost HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, respectively.

There is also something new that has been introduced in Generation Five. These are wings. You can find them while walking on the bridges in Unova. They boost an EV count in a stat by one. Health Wings boost HP, Muscle Wings boost Attack, Resist Wings boost Defense, Genius Wings boost Special Attack, Clever Wings boost Special Defense, and Swift Wings boost Speed.

IVs

Spoiler:
IV's are lass commonly known as Individual Values. All stats, (HP, Atk, Spe, Def, Sp.Atk, Sp.Def) can have a maximum of 31 IVs each. Each IV a stat has increases it's amount by 1 point. (i.e. A base stat with no IVs = 350 whereas a base stat with 1 IV = 351 points.) IV's are normally calculated when the Pokemon is received. In B/W there is a man in the Battle Subway who can tell you what your pokemon's IVs are like.

Tiers List

We'll be using Smogon's tiers
Spoiler:
OU
Code:
Pokémon:
Alakazam
Blissey
Breloom
Celebi    
Chansey
Cloyster
Conkeldurr
Donphan
Dragonite
Dugtrio
Espeon
Ferrothorn
Forretress
Gastrodon
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Haxorus
Heatran
Hydreigon
Infernape
Jellicent
Jirachi
Jolteon
Landorus
Latias    
Latios    
Lucario
Magnezone
Mamoswine
Metagross
Mienshao
Ninetales
Politoed
Reuniclus
Rotom-W
Salamence
Scizor
Scrafty
Skarmory
Starmie
Tentacruel
Terrakion
Tornadus
Toxicroak
Tyranitar
Vaporeon
Venusaur
Virizion
Volcarona

Ubers
Code:
All Arceus Forms
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-S
Dialga    
Excadrill
Garchomp
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Manaphy
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Thundurus
Zekrom

UU
Code:
Ambipom
Arcanine
Azelf
Azumarill
Bisharp
Bronzong
Blastoise
Chandelure
Cobalion
Crobat
Darmanitan
Deoxys-D
Dusclops
Empoleon
Escavalier
Flygon
Froslass
Heracross
Hippopotas
Hitmontop
Houndoom
Kingdra
Krookodile
Machamp
Mew
Milotic
Mismagius
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Porygon2
Raikou
Registeel
Rhyperior
Roserade
Rotom-H
Sableye
Shaymin
Slowbro
Snorlax
Stoutland
Suicune
Swampert
Togekiss
Victini
Umbreon
Weavile
Xatu
Zapdos
Zoroark

NU
Code:
http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/nu

RU
Code:
Accelgor
Aerodactyl
Aggron
Archeops
Bouffalant
Charizard
Claydol
Clefable
Cofagrigus
Crawdaunt
Crustle
Drapion
Druddigon
Durant
Dusknoir
Electivire
Entei
Feraligatr
Ferroseed
Gallade
Galvantula
Gligar
Golurk
Hariyama
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Honchkrow
Kabutops
Klinklang
Lanturn
Lilligant
Ludicolo
Magneton
Mandibuzz
Manectric
Medicham
Moltres
Munchlax
Omastar
Poliwrath
Primeape
Qwilfish
Rhydon
Roselia
Rotom
Rotom-C
Sandslash
Sawsbuck
Sceptile
Scolipede
Scyther
Sharpedo
Sigilyph
Slowking
Smeargle
Spiritomb
Steelix
Tangrowth
Typhlosion
Uxie
Whimsicott

Little Cup
Code:
http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/lc

If you have questions on anything I may have missed, feel free to post!

Nothing to see here
Zueq
Ba-Zueq-A~♫♩♬

PokéDollars: ₪6,854.46
Founder and Administrator
01-30-2012, 09:56 PM
This is a wonderful guide, Sky King! This will help a lot of members here. Smile
Clockwork Soldier
Giggle Protocol

Registered
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
No problem, Zueqy m'boi. I'd say feel free to close it, but just in case I did miss something and people want to ask a question, then I want them to be able to. Then again, they can just shoot me a profile comment. All at your discretion.

Nothing to see here
Smanters
Ghosts are yes

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
01-30-2012, 10:58 PM
A nice guide, but it's a bit lacking. I saw nothing on team synergy. I'd say much more if it wasn't basics. Nevertheless, the guide is good.

[Image: ChandelureSig.png]
Credit goes to my good friend Dyrozix
Clockwork Soldier
Giggle Protocol

Registered
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Yeah, Team Synergy is something that's learned better than it could ever be taught though. After you learn the basics, it gets pretty easy to find some synergy in most of the teams you make.

Nothing to see here
Smanters
Ghosts are yes

Registered
01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
(01-30-2012, 10:59 PM)Sky King Wrote: Yeah, Team Synergy is something that's learned better than it could ever be taught though. After you learn the basics, it gets pretty easy to find some synergy in most of the teams you make.

Yeah. I'm tempted to make a guide that sort of expands on yours. Like giving good spots to EV train and get more into details, y'know?

Clockwork Soldier
Giggle Protocol

Registered
01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
That'd be good.
Only problem I see is most competitive battlers(myself included) usually just pokegen or use PO.

Nothing to see here
Smanters
Ghosts are yes

Registered
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
^Yeah, I do too. But some people (Namely, me) competitively battle on Black/White random matchup. I win often because my wifi team is great on OU PO standards.

Darkrai Abuser
Darkrai [Ab]user

Registered
01-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I had no idea Blaziken was an uber

[Image: DarkraiAbuser.jpg]
^Credit to Sky King
Clockwork Soldier
Giggle Protocol

Registered
01-30-2012, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2012, 11:38 PM by Clockwork Soldier.)
Yeah, I can't really be bothered to EV train and whatnot. Too much time. Not much fun.

EDIT:

(01-30-2012, 11:37 PM)Darkrai Abuser Wrote: I had no idea Blaziken was an uber

Only Speed Boost Blaziken.

Nothing to see here

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Get into COmpetitive Battling ✯Ho-OhLugia✯ 4 951 07-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Last Post by ninJAS
  What do you enjoy the most about battling? Bloom 4 781 04-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Last Post by Jet Stingren
  Competitive playing... Trainer Lollipop 6 1,133 02-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Last Post by Joaquin