Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Sticky: Pokemon Alpha and Beta Secrets
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Sticky: Pokemon Alpha and Beta Secrets
Bloom
*❀~Bloop Dee Woop~❀*

PokéDollars: ₪32.09
Registered
03-23-2015, 05:39 AM
I remember that girl for a Pokemon Manga I read a while ago. Green was apparently the third trainer from Pallet town. Unlike the other two trainers, she stole Squirtle from Professor Oak's lab and eventually became Red and Blue's rivals. It would have been nice for her to be in the old games. Why exactly she was cut out and not brought back until the remakes remains a enigma to me...

[Image: dA219Lb.gif]
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

PokéDollars: ₪1,035.48
Registered
03-23-2015, 09:10 AM
(03-23-2015, 05:39 AM)Bloom Wrote: I remember that girl for a Pokemon Manga I read a while ago. Green was apparently the third trainer from Pallet town. Unlike the other two trainers, she stole Squirtle from Professor Oak's lab and eventually became Red and Blue's rivals. It would have been nice for her to be in the old games. Why exactly she was cut out and not brought back until the remakes remains a enigma to me...

Well...to be fair they did want to make Red and Blue a very big pair of games. But, hardware space was limited on the Game Boy cartridges so a lot of ideas (a lot of Pokemon, Breeding, Female playable characters) had to be fall onto the cutting room floor and saved for the second Generation of Pokemon games.

| My Ask Thread | 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."
(07-03-2013, 07:37 PM)Skye Wrote: You requesting it for free is like walking into a video game store and asking for a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever because it sucked.
49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 6c 6d 6f 73 74 20 61 73 20 73 6d 61 72 74 20 61 73 20 6d 65 21 20
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
09-03-2015, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017, 12:13 PM by Miles Prower.)
Okay; the next post for Alpha and Beta Secrets deals with Pokemon Platinum and Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver versions together; since they are both pretty small.

[Image: Early_Garchomp_FrontSprite_Platinum.png]

Garchomp was to have a different sprite then was in the final product; one that shows it lunging forward.

[Image: Battle_Park_unused_Pt.png]

The Battle Park went unused in Pokemon Platinum. The Battle Park gate was replaced with the Frontier Gates, but all the static NPCs were not moved. The event where you'd meet Palmer was still there as well as the Razor Fang item.

There were 9 unused maps of the Distortion World. The only thing different about these maps was they did not use the special camera angle that is present in the final product within the Distortion World.

[Image: Spr_4p_492b.png] [Image: Spr_4p_487b.png] [Image: Spr_4p_487Ob.png] [Image: Rotom_beta_sprites.png]

Unused sprites exist for Shaymin (Land Forme), Giratina (both Alternate and Origin Forme) as well as appliance images for the different Rotom forms.

Unused music from Diamond and Pearl exist with the Platinum files and the Point Card and the Galactic Warehouse Key are unused items. The Point Card, however does has some form of purpose if it is hacked into a copy of Platinum; despite the fact Frontier Points were calculated from the V.S. Recorder. If the Galactic Warehouse Key was to be hacked in; it would not have any use.

There are also leftover debugging tools within Platnium's files; like "Sound Test" and an option to modify the in-game clock.

Now onto HeartGold/SoulSilver.

[Image: GoldHGSS_beta_back.png] [Image: Spr_HGSS_Silver_Beta.png] [Image: Spr_4h_152b.png] [Image: Spr_4h_025b.png] [Image: Spr_4h_172b_s.png] [Image: Spr_4h_172N_s.png]

Here are beta images of Gold/Ethan and the rival Silver. Ethan's/Gold's cap has a red symbol on his hat and his hair was slightly different. Silver is seen sporting an all dark gray outfit. Chikorita's leaf is darker here then what was in the final product. There is also an image for a shiny version of the Spiky Eared Pichu; despite it having a fixed Personality Value and thus was unable to be shiny.

[Image: HGSS_Prerelease_Ethan_vs_Silver.png] [Image: HGSS_Prerelease_Slowpoke_Well.png] [Image: HGSS_Prerelease_Cynthia_Arceus.jpg]

Here are some more beta images. The first one shows the beta Ethan/Gold and Silver sprites and the unfinished battle screen. The second image is in the Slowpoke Well. Where Rocket Admin Proton is located; is a regular Rocket Grunt. This is probably leftover data from Gold/Silver/Crystal where Proton was a Rocket Grunt in Slowpoke Well. Also, in the Sinjoh Ruins; the beta screen shows the three circles on the ground being all the same color. They are all different in the final version.

Two items go unused in HG/SS; the Photo Album and the SlowpokeTail.

The Photo Album is embedded within the Player's PC in the final version and is not an item they'd be carrying around. The SlowpokeTail was made a Key Item in HG/SS if its hacked in (it was a regular item in Gen II). It has however, no purpose.

The same debugging tools discussed from Platinum's Alpha and Beta Secrets remain in HG/SS.

[Image: Unused_HGSS_Pok%C3%A9Gear_Icon_for_Kris.png]
There is an image of the PokeGear that resembles the Crystal female protagonist; Kris. (It's small but you can see what looks like a face in the middle.)

Unused map description data in the Pokégear exists for several locations:

"A Battle Stadium with five different sets of rules to enjoy."
"A mountain where something mysterious awaits you underfoot."
"A place where Pokémon can compete against each other's strengths." (Pokeathlon Dome)
"A path said to always be bathed in sunset, no matter what the season." (Bellchime Trail)

There is one post-release Secret to talk about in HeartGold/SoulSilver and it deals with the Game Corners within the game (Goldenrod and Celadon):

Due to legal issues related with gambling, the interior design of both Goldenrod and Celadon Game Corners were completely overhauled in all non-Japanese releases of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. However, the original design is still present within the internal data of the localized releases; despite being severely limited, since most dialogue scripts were removed. (With the exception of the Coin purchase interface, which is still completely functional and translated) The slot machine interface pointers are redirected to the Voltorb Flip interface instead.

Next time, we get to Generation V; with Pokemon Black and White Alpha and Beta Secrets.

(07-03-2013, 07:37 PM)Skye Wrote: You requesting it for free is like walking into a video game store and asking for a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever because it sucked.
49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 6c 6d 6f 73 74 20 61 73 20 73 6d 61 72 74 20 61 73 20 6d 65 21 20
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
03-02-2017, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017, 12:13 PM by Miles Prower.)
It's been a LONG time coming; but it's time for the next chapter in the Pokemon Alpha and Beta secrets. This time; it's on Pokemon Black and White.

[Image: Beta_Tepig_sprite.png]

We start with a beta sprite of Tepig from when you pick your starter. Tepig was the only one that had its sprite changed.

[Image: Beta_Hilbert_VS_sprite.png] [Image: Beta_Cheren_VS_sprite.png] [Image: Beta_Bianca_VS_sprite.png]

Alterations were made to Hilbert, Cheren and Bianca in their VS Trainer sprites. Hilbert had a huge overhaul on his sprite, Cheren's eyes were simply altered. Bianca's VS Trainer sprite originally lacker her Xtransciever.

[Image: BW_Prerelease_double_battle.png]

When Excadrill was released, it had its stomach stripes mirrored from what they then became.

In the Dreamyard, the beta music playing would be a seasonal variant of the Route 4 theme. In the final product; the Dreamyard had one static track, that played regardless of the season.

In the United Kingdom; GAME and Gamestation retailers had beta box art that used the beta regional name of Alleos instead of Unova. This was also at pre-release and post-release demo events in the UK.

Castelia City underwent at least 6 different aesthetic and graphical changes before the final release.

Spoiler:
[Image: BW_Prerelease_City.png] Image released on April 15th, 2010
[Image: Black_White_City.png] Animation presented by Pokemon Sunday on April 18th, 2010
[Image: BW_Prerelease_Castelia_City_2.png] Footage from Oha Suta on June 27th, 2010
[Image: BW_Prerelease_Castelia_City_3.png] Image from the Pokemon.com Japanese website
[Image: BW_Prerelease_Castelia_City.png] Image released on May 14th, 2010
[Image: BW_Prerelease_Castelia_City_6.png] Image from the Pokemon.com Japanese website

Pre-release screenshots of Chargestone Cave showed the rocks lying around were of a different shape and color, and also had a slightly duller glow in the beta.

[Image: BW_Prerelease_Bridge_lookout.png] [Image: BW_Prerelease_Bridge.png]

At the Skyarrow Bridge Lookout Point (from Pinwheel Forest), a slightly different looking Castelia City can be shown. Also, on the bridge, the Player could talk to a female Backpacker. However, in the final; she was replaced by a Male Ace Trainer. (The Backpacker returned to that position in Black and White 2.)

[Image: BW_Prerelease_Poke_Mart.png]

When the Player was to buy items in the Mart, the screen would rotate. Also, in the Dream World there were early videos showing a wild Pikachu being befriended. Pikachu were also to be encountered in Entree Forest, as well as in the game itself. In the final version, Pikachu was unobtainable; and could only be obtained post-game through the Poke Transfer from a Gen IV game.

Since Black and White were built off a modified Gen IV engine, all of the items that existed in Gen IV, also exist here. The only items missing were HM07 (Waterfall) and HM08 (Dive); which are now blank, question mark (?) items. Also the unobtainable item; the God Stone is found in the files. This item has no programmed use, and its original, obtainable location was not known.

In the P2 Laboratory, if the Trainer used a walk through walls cheat, and made their way down; they'd find an untextured room with a few tables in it.

There are also a few unused text strings referring to weather conditions. Most notably related to the Fog condition. Fog was on the overworld in Route 15, but the Fog was purely cosmetic.

"Fog crept up as thick as soup!"
"The fog lifted."
"The sandstorm rages."
"The hail crashes down."

It is to be known that these unused weather text strings also exist in Pokemon Black and White 2; and go unused in there too.

Next time; we will look at the Alpha and Beta secrets of Pokemon Black and White 2.

Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
03-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Did some minor work; fixing some images (changing all the dead images), and adding some more information.

Black and White 2 are still next up in the Alpha & Beta secrets.

FireLeo
Hot as the Sun

PokéDollars: ₪1,082.89
Registered
03-12-2017, 01:51 PM
"There are also leftover debugging tools within Platnium's files; like "Sound Test" and an option to modify the in-game clock."

There was a sound test in Platinum? Whoa. I would kill to have a sound test in a Pokémon game that is accessible normally. Why hasn't Gamefreak started doing that?

Also, Castelia City went through six **or more** revisions? Man. I should have figured. It was big and was bound to take a lot of work.

L I G H T N I N G  S T R I K E S  A G A I N !
[Image: fire_leo_banner_by_galliumgrant-daq2jpl.png]
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
03-12-2017, 02:02 PM
(03-12-2017, 01:51 PM)FireLeo Wrote: "There are also leftover debugging tools within Platnium's files; like "Sound Test" and an option to modify the in-game clock."

There was a sound test in Platinum? Whoa. I would kill to have a sound test in a Pokémon game that is accessible normally. Why hasn't Gamefreak started doing that?

Also, Castelia City went through six **or more** revisions? Man. I should have figured. It was big and was bound to take a lot of work.

Well, there was also an unused "Palette Test" in G/S/C. Where you were able to take the sprites from G/S/C (Trainers and Pokemon) and fiddle with their colors to "create" different twists on them. (And perhaps being able to edit the palettes of the static buildings; like the Pokemon Center/Poke Mart.)

[Image: Pokemon_Gold-ColTest3.png] [Image: Pokemon_Gold-ColTest6.png] [Image: Pokemon_Gold-TilesetColMnu4.png]

Zueq
Ba-Zueq-A~♫♩♬

PokéDollars: ₪3,937.43
Founder and Administrator
03-15-2017, 09:23 AM
*Stickied* because this is such an interesting and great topic to read.
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

Registered
06-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Okay, it's time for Black and White 2 Alpha and Beta Secrets.

[Image: Spr_5b2_F-00_s.png] [Image: Spr_5b2_F-00_2_s.png]

These two sprites are shiny forms of PokeStar Studio opponents. Despite in the final release of the games; shiny forms were not able to be found there.

The sprite images of every Key Item from Gen III up until now exist in Black and White 2; even for items like the Fame Checker. Key Item data for every Key Item from Diamond/Pearl onwards also exists.

Using the Memory Link feature; you were able to communicate with a game file of Black/White. However, unused text strings for the Pokemon World Tournament (PWT) have Hilbert/Hilda as possible opponents. Their strings are after Volkner and before the text strings for the Driftveil Tournament opponents. Unlike the Memory Link; their names were always going to be Hilbert/Hilda.

Spoiler:

Announcer's introduction: "Meet Hilbert/Hilda, the Trainer some claim to be the strongest of all!"

Before battle (1st round): "Everything can be understood through Pokémon battles! Let's go!"

Before battle (2nd round): "Words are the source of all misunderstanding! Everything can be understood through Pokémon battles! Let's go!"

Before battle (Final round): "You communicate with Pokémon using feelings, not words! Everything can be understood through Pokémon battles! Let's go!"

When defeated: "Thank you!"

If the player is defeated: "I just lucked into winning... Isn't that how it felt?"

After being defeated: "Make your dreams come true! Someone once encouraged me to do that. Even now, I'm continuing my journey to realize those dreams."

After winning: "I'll leave you with words someone told me once. Dream your dream!"

(The "someone" they reference is N.)

The unused weather text strings that I discussed from the Black and White beta exist here as well.

There are a lot of unused Trainer Classes; although these all pretty much revolve around the PokeStar Studios.

Spoiler:

Hero (Japanese: ヒーロー Hero)
Heroine (Japanese: ヒーロー Hero)
Ninja (Japanese: にんじゃ Ninja)
Ninja (Japanese: にんじゃ Ninja)
UDF Trooper (Japanese: SFたいいん SF Trooper)
UDF Trooper (Japanese: SFたいいん SF Trooper)
Scientist (Japanese: けんきゅういん Researcher)
Scientist (Japanese: けんきゅういん Researcher)
Guy (Japanese: ふだんぎ Casual Wear)
Girl (Japanese: ふだんぎ Casual Wear)
Prince (Japanese: おうじさま Prince)
Princess (Japanese: おひめさま Princess)
Brycen Jet (Japanese: ハチクかん Hachiku Warship)
Mechacombo (Japanese: メカコンビ Mechacombo)
UFO (Japanese: UFO UFO)
Alien (Japanese: エイリアン Alien)
Red Fog (Japanese: あかいきり Red Fog)
Cursed Man (Japanese: のろわれたおじさん Cursed Man)
Cursed Kid (Japanese: のろわれたえんじ Cursed Kindergartener)
Old Statue (Japanese: こだいぞう Ancient Statue)
Cursed Gent (Japanese: のろわれたしんし Cursed Gentleman)
Divine Maid (Japanese: こうごうしいメイド Divine Maid)
Witch (Japanese: まじょ Witch)
Plush Toy (Japanese: ぬいぐるみ Plush Toy)
Guy in Suit (Japanese: ダミースーツ Dummy)
Girl in Suit (Japanese: ダミースーツ Dummy)
Guy in Suit (Japanese: ダミースーツ Dummy)
Girl in Suit (Japanese: ダミースーツ Dummy)

There are a cluster of unused text strings when talking to your Mother using the Extransceiver in specific places in Unova.

Spoiler:
Several locations have responses programmed for them when the player's mom is asked about the following locations over the Xtransceiver, but cannot actually be selected because the Xtransceiver is not usable in those locations. Additionally, some of the duplicate locations used in the Entralink and Victory Road in Black and White have different responses programmed than the normally accessible locations.

Route 10: "Ah, I liked Route 10. There was something lyrical about it..."

Royal Unova: "The Royal Unova? A cruise ship from Castelia! You're getting pretty fancy! So, which is it going to be? Are you going to have fun battling... or enjoy the sights?"

Battle Subway: "Battle Subway! You sure like challenges. Keeping a winning streak going is really hard. But the knowledge and experience you gain from battle will make you stronger!"

Entralink: "Entralink? I don't know about that... Is there a place like that in the Unova region?"

Trial Chamber: "The Trial Chamber? A Trainer might have told me about it a long time ago. Was it the little room on Victory Road?"

Entree Forest: "Entree Forest? I'm not familiar with it, I'm afraid. You say there's a place like that in the Unova region?"

Plasma Frigate: "What? The Plasma Frigate? Never heard of it. Should I go have a look and see what it's like?"

Route 5: "I used to slip out of the Pokémon Center from time to time to watch the performers on Route 5. Isn't there a girl there who buys items?"

Undella Town: "Undella Town, Undella Town. A very rich family used to live there, but it looks like everyone moved. Now there are fewer manors there. It's a little sad."

In the games; Route 10 suffered a sort of collapse, making the Route impassable. However, next to everything exists for this area. The only thing that doesn't exist is wild Pokemon encounters. The game still manages to identify this area as "Route 10", but the game can't point to this area. Because, it doesn't technically exist anymore.

Tune in next time for Pokemon Alpha and Beta Secrets; where we look at the first fully 3-D core series Pokemon games, being  Pokemon X & Y.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pokemon Gold and Silver Coming to 3DS Virtual Console Miles Prower 4 155 06-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Last Post by Miles Prower
  Pokemon Go Arceus 4 261 05-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Last Post by Cloud
  Anyone finished Pokémon Sun or Moon? Zueq 5 196 03-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Last Post by Bloom
  Favorite part of Pokémon Sun and Moon? Zueq 5 183 03-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Last Post by FireLeo