Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Sticky: Role Play Guide
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Sticky: Role Play Guide
WildStar
♩♫♩

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
06-26-2012, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 11:19 PM by WildStar.)
Role-Play is a fun way to pretend to be someone or something you're not. To live in a world that only lives in our imaginations, and to be who ever you want to be. But to master the skill of Role-play, one must know the proper way to Role-play, as well as Terms. So, shall we begin our journey through the world of role-play?

How to Role Play

Step One: Brainstorm!
Every Role play needs to be well thought out, and have a hook or grabber that always pulls someone in. So here are some good ways to come up with a great Plot and Story line to pull people into your magical realm.
-Read a book. Believe it or not, most people get their Role-play ideas from books. Even if it's just a short story, you could easily find an idea. You can also read a children's picture book.
-Listen to music. Yes, we all love music, but you shouldn't just listen to it. You should listen carefully to the words. Every song is telling a story. I highly recommend listening to music, as it always puts me in the writing mood!
-Listen to peoples conversations. Whether it's just listening to your parents talk, stories can be formed from any kind of conversation. You can also go to a crowded place like a mall, or a coffee shop and listen to other peoples conversations. I know it sounds odd, but give it a try!
-Read old things you've written. Remember in kindergarten when you wrote stories about you being a super hero? Or how you wanted to be a fashion model? Always read stories from the past. Most stories become ideas that may really work.
-Sit in a room without the TV or music on. Just think for a little while, tons of ideas come to me that way.

Step Two: Write out a plot.
The next part to Role-Playing is to have a well built plot. After all, well built plots are why people join role plays.

To start, I think we should pin-point some Key items that you should include in your role play.
- Always state the year(s) the Role-play is taking place in. If you have a Role play that you would like to take places in the 1400's and you don;'t point that out, members may end up having flame throwers and machine guns.

-Explain in full detail: What will happen in my Role-play? This part is almost like giving a synopsis on a book, which I'm sure many of you have done. Try and cover the following three points in your plot:
  • What is going on in my Role-play?

• How has it affected the world and everything else around it?

• What is life like in your Role-play?
You may also want to try and explain what the environment was like, how the people were like, etc. Be as descriptive as you can.

Step Three: Character Skeletons!
Oh my, now we get to deal with dead bodies! Not really.

Most of the time, I like to think of a character skeleton, as a real skeleton. You see, the better you describe the character, the more that adds on to the skeleton. So by time your character skeleton is completely filled and your character is as descriptive as can be, the skeleton is no more! You have an actual character! So be sure to pin point every part of a character, What does the character look like? Does he/she use any weapons? Do they have any distinguishing features? What is there back story/biography? What is this persons name and personality? After forming a character skeleton with all the things you would like in a character, it should maybe look like this:

Code:
Name:
Personality:
Biography:
Appearance:
Note that more professional skeletons are always better.

And that's about it! We officially covered the Basics of role-playing! Now you have to wait for some people to become interested in your super cool RP! But, wait, we're not done yet! We still have to go through the Role play terms!

Role play Terms & Definitions

GM - The GM, also known as game moderator, are usually the owners of the role-play. They have the power to control over your character and determine whether you did something wrong in their role-play.

OOC - OOC, other known as out of character, is used usually before or after a RP post to state something not using their role-play character.

IC - IC, other known as In character, Is to show or pot ray something using your role-play character. This term is not used as often.

GODMODDING - (AKA Powerplay) Making your self the 'God' of the role-play. This counts as controlling other members characters, being immune to all types of influence, injury, issues, or being almighty above everything and everyone.

Fade to black - This term is used by a GM only to state that they do not like the way a scene is going. For example, if a scene in a role play is getting out of hand, a GM would post 'Fade to black' and then the GM would start a new scene from there.

One liner - a 'One liner' is a post taking up only one line.
Ex) "This is an example of a One liner."

NPC - An NPC is a non player character that may be used by a GM to help move things along. For example, if a player hurts his or her knee, and thus must go to the doctor and get stitches, and there is no one playing the role of a doctor, a GM would play the role of a doctor.

Perma Death - Perma Death, also known as permanent death, is the act of a character dieing and not coming back to a role-play.

Mary Sue - A female character classified as unrealistic and / or perfect.

Gary Stu - A male character classified as unrealistic and / or perfect.

Over powered - (OP) Is when something in the role-play is too powerful when compared with similar things in the role-play.

Poorplay - (OP) the character is portrayed as a very weak character and never wins.

Bunnying -To move another person’s character.

Topic revised on July 01, 2015

Don't try to get inside my head.The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

Registered
06-27-2012, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2012, 01:19 AM by shenanigans.)
Nice guide, Star. I know this'll help quite a few people. :3

Should you maybe include Mary Sue and Gary Stew explanations as well, though?

WildStar
♩♫♩

Registered
06-27-2012, 05:52 AM
Oh, yes! I'll get to work on it!

Don't try to get inside my head.The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

mewakari13
You're Gonna Love This

Registered
06-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Very nice idea, Wild! I'm sure this will be a great help to all the roleplayers here. C:
If you could, maybe add OP (overpowered) to the list? And maybe, in parenthesis, that NPC can also stand for "Non Player Character". (Some people think they're two different things.)
WildStar
♩♫♩

Registered
06-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Sure, no problem, Mewakari!

Hylia
DreamSpell

Registered
08-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Not meaning to bump, I'm sure this is within the 2-months bumping rule. Anyway, I just want to point out; these terms are well known, and that you should add in the do's and don'ts of role-playing, such as god modding and bunnying. People just need to know, and this can serve as a guideline for all role-playing. Those two are similar, but aren't the same thing. "Poorplay" should be added, despite it being rarely seen, since everyone's trying to be overpowerful. Poorplay basically means the character is portrayed as a very weak character and never wins, and that gets a little irksome amongst people. It's generally the opposite of Powerplay (overpowerful). That's all I wanted to share.
Rhapsody
has anyone seen my sanity

PokéDollars: ₪79.9
Registered
08-03-2012, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012, 12:14 AM by Rhapsody.)
As an addition, Powerplaying is a known alias to god modding, as is Godmodding (without spaces). Also, a male alias to Mary Sue would be a Gary Stu.

Picori, powerplaying is also the equivalent of bunnying, despite not being mentioned in the description. When controlling another character, the NPCs, the weather (weathermodding), etc. it's sometimes defined as powerplaying instead of bunnying.

[Image: tXYu56.png]
WildStar
♩♫♩

Registered
08-03-2012, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012, 12:56 AM by WildStar.)
Thanks guys! This is actually being turned into a full guide. I have been working on this guide for weeks, so I'll be sure to include your ideas in the complete guide.

EDIT- There, It's up! Thanks to all who helped! ;3

Rhapsody
has anyone seen my sanity

PokéDollars: ₪79.9
Registered
08-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Psst, it's Gary Stu, not Stew, and your forgot to add Bunnying, and powerplaying as an alias to godmodding. Smile

[Image: tXYu56.png]
WildStar
♩♫♩

Registered
08-03-2012, 09:52 PM
There, thanks for reminding me. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Super Smash Bros. Survival Role-Play!! Kevin 112 7,705 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post by Kevin
  United Generations Role-Play Fennekin_Fireninja653 0 525 07-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post by Fennekin_Fireninja653
  Super Smash Bros. Role Play! Sign-Ups! Kevin 39 4,054 07-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Last Post by Kevin