Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Sticky: Vanquish's Guide to EV's and EV Training
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Sticky: Vanquish's Guide to EV's and EV Training
Mitchell

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
03-02-2012, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2014, 11:38 AM by Hana Song.)

Vanquish's Guide to EV's and EV Training

Hello and welcome to my EV information thread. If you're here then you probably don't know very much about what EV's are and how they work. But not to worry, this guide will fulfil all your questions.

What Are EV's?

The term EV is short for Effort Value and are hidden values that affect the strengths of a Pokémon in particular statistical areas and are awarded upon the defeat of an opponent Pokémon.

How Do EV's Work?

EV's are points that are added to your Pokémon each time it defeats another. Defeating a certain Pokémon gives your Pokémon a certain amount of EV's in one or more of the 6 stats; HP, Attack, Defence, Special Attack, Special Defence and Speed. For example, if you were to fight and defeat a Caterpie, your Pokémon will receive 1 HP EV because a Caterpie's EV yield is 1 HP EV. The maximum EV yield for a Pokémon is 3 EV's; This can be spread out between any stat depending on the Pokémon. It could be 3 Attack EV's for one Pokémon or 1 Speed EV, 1 Defence EV and 1 HP EV, it all depends on the Pokémon.

EV's are usually counted in fours because when your Pokémon completes a battle, for every four EV's collected in a specific stat throughout that battle, that stat goes up by one point. For example, a Glaceon with a neutral Nature and no EV's has a Special Attack Stat of 296 at Level 100. If it were to defeat 16 Pokemon which yielded 1 Special Attack EV each (16 EV's in total) then its Special Attack stat would be 300 (296+[16/4]).

Now then, I'm sure you're thinking, "But then you can just get a whole bunch of EV's and have stats that go into the 1000's!" But not to fear, there are limits to EV's and their spread. In total, a Pokémon can have a maximum of 510 EV's but this can't be put into only one stat, there is a maximum of 255 EV's in a single stat. A word of advice though, you may notice that 255 isn't evenly divisible by 4, the closest you can get to is 252 and then you have an extra 3 remaining; If you want a stat to be as high as possible, don't just fill up the stat to 255, get it to 252 on both of your chosen stats and use the remaining 6 (3 from each) to get one extra point to another stat. It may not seem like much but it could be the difference between winning and losing.

How Do I Train My Pokémon's EV's?

This may seem to you like the easiest part, but without the right equipment, it can be extremely boring and time-consuming. You would think to get EV's all you have to do is defeat a whole bunch of Pokémon that give you the EV you want; If you said that you're completely correct. But doing it one by one (Or perhaps two by two/three by three, depending on the EV yield of the opponent) will take you ages, so there's five things that can help you; PokeRus, The Exp. Share, Vitamins, Power Items and Wings.

PokeRus

PokeRus is a disease in the Pokémon world that only affects Pokemon. "A Disease?!?" I hear you say, not to worry though, it's a helpful disease. PokeRus helps in EV training by making your Pokémon gain 2x the regular EV yield from an opponent as normal, cutting any training you do in half. For example, the EV yield for a Vulpix is 1 Speed EV, if the Pokémon that battled the Vulpix has PokeRus (Cured or Infected) then they will receive 2 Speed EV's instead.

Exp. Share

The Exp. Share, a wonderful item that splits the Experience you gain from defeating an opponent evenly between all holders. The Exp. Share does something similar to EV's, it shares them around. Now you're probably thinking, "But you can't split 1 EV..." but that's where the Exp. Share comes in handy; It doesn't share the EV's equally between Exp. Share holders, it gives the EV yield to all holders. So if you defeated a Vulpix with one Pokémon, and 2 other Pokémon in your party were holding Exp. Share's, all 3 Pokémon would receive the EV yield from the Vulpix of 1 Speed EV each.

Power Items

These are possibly the most helpful items when EV training as they increase the EV yield upon defeating a Pokémon by depending on the item. The Macho Brace doubles any EV's gained and the Power Bracer, etc. Adds 4 EV's to your EV gain at the end of the battle in a specific stat depending on the item. So say you fight a Lillipup while you're holding the Macho Brace, you'd normally get 1 Attack EV but because of the Macho Brace, it's doubled to 2 Attack EV's. You can even stack this with PokeRus so you get 2 Attack EV's thanks to the Macho Brace, which is then doubled again thanks to PokeRus. The other Power Items work a little bit differently, they get added into the original EV yield before the x2 of PokeRus. So by defeating that Lillipup while holding a Power Bracer while also infected by PokeRus, you gain 10 Attack EV's; (1 Attack EV + 4 Attack EV's) x 2 = 10 in total.

But don't be limited to using the same Power Item as the Opponent's EV yield, you can use any of the Power Items and still get their bonus EV's. So even though the opponent may only give 2 HP EV's, if you're holding a Power Band, you can still get the 4 Special Defence EV's.

All of these can be obtained from each region's battling centre, The Battle Frontier in Johto, The Battle Tower or Battle Frontier (depending on which game you play) in Sinnoh and the Battle Subway and or Pokemon World Tournament in Unova; The PWT only being available for Black and White 2.

Note: Using these items halves your speed in battle.

Power Item EV Gain
Macho Brace 2x For All EV's Gained
Power Weight +4 HP EV's
Power Bracer +4 Attack EV's
Power Belt +4 Defence EV's
Power Lens +4 Special Attack EV's
Power Band +4 Special Defence EV's
Power Anklet +4 Speed EV's

Vitamins

You know those things you can buy in the Department Stores for 9800 PokeDollars? Carbos, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, Protein, and HP Up? Well those are called Vitamins and they are very helpful for EV training as they give 10 EVs per use on your Pokémon up to a maximum of 100 in one stat. Each of the regions Kanto, etc. has its own store to sell these Vitamins; Kanto has the Celadon Department Store, Johto has the Goldenrod Department Store, Hoenn has the Lilycove Department Store, Sinnoh has the Veilstone Department Store and Unova has Shopping Mall Nine.

Vitamin EV Gain
HP Up +10 HP EV's
Protein +10 Attack EV's
Iron +10 Defence EV's
Calcium +10 Special Attack EV's
Zinc +10 Special Defence EV's
Carbos +10 Speed EV's

Wings
Wings are similar to Vitamins in the way that they increase the amount of EV's your Pokémon has for the corresponding stat, there's one different though; You can use as many Wings as you want, there's no maximum of 100 EV's like with Vitamins. There's one downside to this though, because the EV gain is only +1 per Wing and Wings are difficult to obtain in large numbers, training this way can be very time consuming.

Wing EV Gain
Health Wing +1 HP EV
Muscle Wing +1 Attack EV
Resist Wing +1 Defence EV
Genius Wing +1 Special Attack EV
Clever Wing +1 Special Defence EV
Swift Wing +1 Speed EV

Where and What Do I Train On?

There are some locations the people find perfect for EV training as there is usually only Pokémon that yield a specific stat's EV, this is where people usually do their training but it can be done in other places. Places I recommend using are:

Black and White:
Spoiler:
Stat Location Pokemon Encounter Rate
HP Iccirus City Pond (Surfing) Stunfisk (2 HP EV's) 100%
Attack Route 1 (Grass) Lillipup (1 Atk EV)
Patrat (1 Atk EV)
50%
50%
Defence* Inner Pinwheel Forest (Grass) Sewaddle (1 Def EV)
Venipede(1 Def EV)
35%
20%
Special Attack Celestial Tower (2nd Floor) Litwick (1 Sp. Atk EV) 100%
Special Defence Route 8 (Surfing) Frillish (1 Sp. Def EV) 100%
Speed Route 1 or 3 (Surfing) Basculin (2 Spd EV's) 100%

* Please note that the encounter rate for Defence EV Pokémon does not add up to 100%

Black 2 and White 2:
Spoiler:
Stat Location Pokemon Encounter Rate
HP Route 8 (Surfing) Stunfisk (2 HP EV's)
Palpitoad (2 HP EV's)
70%
30%
Attack Victory Road (1st Floor) Banette (2 Atk EV's)
Golurk (2 Atk EV's)
70%
30%
Defence* Relic Castle (Walking) Sandshrew (1 Def EV)
Yamask(1 Def EV)
20%
40%
Special Attack Celestial Tower (1st Floor) Litwick (1 Sp. Atk EV) 100%
Special Defence Route 4 or Virbank City (Surfing) Frillish (1 Sp. Def EV) 100%
Speed Route 19 (Surfing) Basculin (2 Spd EV's) 100%

* Please note that the encounter rate for Defence EV Pokémon does not add up to 100%

Levels Other Than 100

Now remember from earlier in the thread when I said that for every 4 EV's you get 1 Stat Point? That only really applies to Pokemon at Level 100. When Pokemon are beneath this level, they will require more EV's per Stat Point. For example, at level 50, you require 8 EV's to increase a Stat by one point.

A simple way of finding out how many EV's it will take you to advance to the next Stat Point, is by using a couple easy calculations. Dividing 100 (The standard level for battling) by whatever level you plan on battling at will give you a ratio. Multiplying the resulting ratio by 4 (the EV number at Level 100) will give you the amount of EV's required for your desired level. (100 / Level) * 4 = EV's required for a Stat Point at said level. For example I want to battle at Level 50 so I divide 100 by 50 (100 / 50 = 2). Now we multiply that result of 2 by 4 (2 * 4 = 8). So we know that it takes 8 EV's to advance a Stat one point at Level 50.

Now those with a good memory will remember that there's a maximum of 255 EV's allowed per Stat, and those with an even better memory will remember that the closest number to 255 that was divisible by 4 was 252. We did that to save as many EV's as possible. This has to be done again for any level lower than 100 so you can save as many EV's as possible, and do your best in battles. The closest number to 255 which is divisible by 8 is 248. This means that you're saving the remaining 7 that would have otherwise been wasted so you can use them on another Stat.

Common Levels and Their Respective EV's

Level of Pokemon EV's Required for Stat Point
100 4 EV's
50 8 EV's
5 80 EV's

How Do I Start Again?

Chances are you've messed up your counting of EV's along the way, or you want to EV train something that already had random EV's thanks to random Pokémon battles or you received a Pokémon in a trade with unknown EV's. It's possible to start from scratch of you want, all you need are certain berries.

Berry EV Reduction
Pomeg Berry -10 HP EV's
Kelpsy Berry -10 Attack EV's
Qualot Berry -10 Defence EV's
Hondew Berry -10 Special Attack EV's
Grepa Berry -10 Special Defence EV's
Tamato Berry -10 Speed EV's

Now these Berries will reduce the number of EV's in the corresponding stat to 100 on the first use (If it's over 100). After 100, each Berry will reduce the stat 10 EV's at a time, so to completely wipe the EV's off of a stat, you'll need at most 11 of the corresponding Berry.

How Do I Know When to Stop?

Well, while you're training, I'd recommend counting the amount of each Pokémon you've defeated (And working out the EV yield per victory) until you get to 252 (Or the desired EV amount). If you happen to forget or lose count then try to battle as many as you think you need until you've used up all 504 EV's and visit the girl in the house north of the Opelucid City Pokémon Center. She'll tell you if you're Pokémon is EV trained completely or not by saying, "Your [Pokémon] put in Great effort." if it's been fully EV train or "Your [Pokémon] looks like it can try a little harder." if it's not.

F.A.Qs

Leave any F.A.Qs you have in the comments and I'll post back as well as add your question to here if it's not already in the thread somewhere (And you just haven't fully read everything yet) or it's not already in the F.A.Qs.
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪1,014.12
Veterans
03-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Very nicely done Niblesess! Smile

Great order to everything, very informative, incredibly useful for anyone wanting to know more about EV's! I like the format and how everything is set up so once again good job Smile I'm impressed. Lol

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^
Hylia
DreamSpell

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
03-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I agree, it's a good guide. I know this won't be "useful", though I think you should have mentioned the power items lowers speed when held by the Pokemon. ^^ Also, it would have been helpful for an EV guide for Generation 4 games (as there are people who still play those games) Anyway, that's all I wanted to add. :D Thanks for the guide!
Mitchell

Registered
03-02-2012, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM by Mitchell.)
Already in there Tongue
Altia
Put on your 3D Glasses!

Registered
03-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow, what a fantastic guide! Everything is orderly, and very well-written. This is by far the best EV training guide I've ever seen. When someone asks me about EVs, instead of explaining it myself, I'll just link them here! Great job, Niblesess!! Big Grin
Oscar Wilde
Has Dragon Aids

Registered
03-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I love evaluating. I even have a speech prepared for this event. The story starts in the everglades, where I was entertaining everyone with my evocative evanescence. However it was all a trick at the hands of the dastardly evil, Mr. Evolvev. Long story short, Mr. Evolvev evaded my maneuvers, but I'll get him next evening, eventually. And that's how I got evicted from my apartment.

I want 4 stat points in attack please.
Mitchell

Registered
03-03-2012, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM by Mitchell.)
Thanks May, means a lot ^^

And as always Oscar, you seem to take the ordinary and make it random.
Mitchell

Registered
01-05-2013, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM by Mitchell.)
Updated with EV training locations in Black 2 and White 2 (B/W2).
Kevin
Member of Thespian Troupe 1139

Registered
01-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for this guide. I never understood EVs until I read this. My Bisharp is now incredibly fast thanks to this guide.

[Image: 0KOwHeL.png]
Credits to Fairy Princess Bloom for this awesome signature!

Super Smash Bros Survival Role-Play

My Pokémon Emporium

ASB Profile

S.I.B. Fanfiction

My Art Gallery

DerpyDerp
Refreshing pages

Registered
01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
(03-03-2012, 07:52 AM)Vanquish Wrote: Thanks May, means a lot ^^

And as always Oscar, you seem to take the ordinary and make it random.

that's one of the biggest bump I ever saw Big Grin and good guide btw help a lot for a noob like me Big Grin

[Image: Dj10a.gif]
[Image: eXVZu.gif] Aren't they majestic!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Sniper Guide jeremy death 2 855 08-13-2014, 05:58 AM
Last Post by ninJAS
  Mono-Type Team Building Guide jeremy death 0 1,686 08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Last Post by jeremy death
  The Art of War/Guide to Competitive Battling [WIP] Hana Song 6 2,080 05-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Last Post by medicham
  Salamance guide :D DerpyDerp 9 1,386 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Last Post by Bordeaux