Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Storytime with Shen
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Storytime with Shen
shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
03-19-2016, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2016, 04:53 PM by shenanigans.)
I need somewhere to vent because I'm a friendless sucker with very few people to dump my frustrations upon, as well as being extremely long winded. I don't want to annoy the few friends I do have. So yeah, welcome to my blog. If you venture here, beware; a lot of tl;dr lurks around the corner. Hope you like reading dull drivel.

Just got done arguing with my father. He's old-school and has this annoying preconception that the United States of America is the best country in the world, has been and will be the best country in the world, and no other country in the world has ever come close. In those precise words. That is not paraphrasing, my friends. Asdfghjkl. I am of a vastly different opinion, but because I am of a tender 21 years of age and he is of the finely aged 40-something years old, he knows much more than I on the matter. Okay. Fine. Let's go there. I don't believe my step-father is stupid. He is not, by any means. He has raised me quite well for over 10 years. However, I am not some brainwashed, indoctrinated child to be lectured to when I speak ill of my home country. I speak ill of my home country out of concern. I don't want my country to follow the path of countless nations and empires prior, fragmenting and falling into chaos before being conquered or claimed by some other nation who simply walked in and swept up the pieces.

One, ignorantly believing the United States will always be powerful or feared or whatever it is that he believes we are will only lead to this nation falling apart. Two, our government is like a much tamer version of Mexico's. If you take our level of corruption and multiply it by 100, we are identical to Mexico in every way, shape, or form. Three, you cannot say that we are a melting pot of cultures, standing with open arms for all people, in one breath and in the next, cry out the injustice of a wall not having been built yet to keep people out. That we need to kick out all of the Mexicans, Arabs, Muslims, and hell, why not the Canadians for good measure, just so we can piss off everyone around us!

There are plenty of countries and societies on par with us. In some ways, I personally believe they surpass us. In some ways, I personally believe we surpass them. I don't believe either is better on all accounts, but clearly, opinions will differ. Australia, Canada, Switzerland, England, Japan, the list goes on and on, filled with countries full of people also prospering. This isn't the dark ages. The United States of America is not some glorious, shining city on a hill; a beacon in the night for the cold and stupid masses huddled in the darkness. What idiocy is this? I know people in other countries who are more aware of our political state of affairs than most americans. That is sad. I don't know much of anything about any other country's state of affairs. None of it is ever shown on our news. The most international thing I've ever seen on the television is the Paris bombings. Ever. In fact, it's probably the only time I, personally, have seen another country mentioned on our news unless it's in relation to some bombing or air strike in the middle east, or a royal wedding of some sort in England.

That does kind of lead to another irritation. So many people seem to hate americans. Our government is nosy, stupid, and violates everyone's privacy, regardless of what country you're from. Including its own citizens. So I'm not always sure how we achieved this stigma, but it is what it is, I suppose. We are not and should not be the world's self-proclaimed police force or bodyguard. If another country doesn't want our help in something, we need to back the hell up and leave. We shouldn't even be there unless they ask. I'm not saying we should disappear, have no global presence. Every country needs a presence in the world, otherwise they're just asking to be taken advantage of or allied against. (Not a paranoia-based comment, merely an observation. The world is built on a system of conquering other nations. Why would it have changed just because we have internet and Starbucks, now? Also, we are nearly 20 trillion dollars in debt. Hah.) Because people look so negatively on america, and by extension, americans, we're all loud, obnoxious, greedy, fat, entitled, the list goes on and on. And ultimately, as unfair as the labels are, we are to blame for it.

We freaking nuked two cities. No other country has intentionally attacked another country like that. Can you even imagine? Thousands of people, turned to ash instantaneously. Thousands more dying slowly, painfully, from radiation sickness; lying in puddles of vomit and bodily fluids, next to their loved ones. Over 200,000 people, gone. All with lives. All with loved ones. Dreams. Aspirations. A favorite food. Pets that they doted on. People they secretly crushed on. Gone. Instantly. Snuffed out, like a candle. Now, in the United States's culture, radiation gives birth to super heroes and powers. In Japanese culture, radiation gives birth to monsters, like Godzilla. I am a member of a society that, in one fell swoop, wiped out innumerable innocent people who had nothing to do with the fight. Yes, I understand a lot of people believe it was necessary. I don't know, since I wasn't around, but we're taught in school that it basically ended the war. I dunno, history is written by the winners, so. If it's true, I can understand it. People would be freaking terrified. We were the kid who came onto the schoolyard and shot the kids standing around the bully instead of the bully himself, to frighten the bully into leaving everyone else alone. We were monsters who committed an unspeakable crime that people laugh about and act like we're so big and tough for it. I don't know if it was the correct, logical decision to make. It could've been right. However, it was evil, and I shiver because I'm a member of that society.

So yes. We deserve everything we get, as a society, as a nation. However, the individual people in America, living today, did not do that. We had nothing to do with that. Hating us won't bring those people back. Hating us won't hurt the people who made that order. Even the american public at that time did not make that decision. People often mislabel us as a democracy. Hell, most americans think we're a democracy. That's stupid. We're a republic. The people don't decide s***. We elect officials who make all the decisions for us. We have so many flaws. We're arrogant, among an extensive list of other adjectives. But we're all people. Individuals who have nothing to do with an airstrike in Afghanistan or some military operation in Iran or whatever.

Even putting that aside, there are so many americans who think like my step-father and are blindly patriotic to the point of ignorant stupidity. People who encourage others to hate us with their remarks of how America is the greatest country in the world. There are a lot of hateful people here. Free speech is a double edged sword. I wouldn't have it any other way, but it still sucks when you have people so cruel and heartless that they actually believe some people are sub-human for their skin color or religion or sexual orientation. Granted, we aren't the only country suffering from that epidemic of ignorance, but even so. What the hell. Yes, we deserve our stigma. We've earned it. And I am ashamed of it.

(Side note: I'm aware that the atom bombs were made in conjunction with the UK and that according to the terms of the Quebec Agreement signed by Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt, both parties had to come to agreement before using the atom bomb against any third party, but that doesn't remove any blame from the USA. Yes, it does mean we aren't alone in this evil, but the world doesn't really seem to see the United Kingdoms as having any part in the situation. We seem to have assumed the sum of the blame. xP I could be wrong due to geographic location, though. I've never seen or heard anyone blame the UK or mention them in conjunction to the use of atomic weaponry because...why would it be relevant for someone to accuse the USA of the UK having involvement when the USA had just as much involvement and the UK's involvement has no bearing on the USA's blame? I don't know. It's late and I need sleep. x.x Side-note became side-paragraph. Grr.)

shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

Registered
03-20-2016, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2016, 10:23 AM by shenanigans.)

Shen's GPX+ Babies

[Image: b.png][Image: b.png][Image: b.png][Image: b.png][Image: b.png][Image: b.png]

Shen's Anime Watchlist

shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

Registered
03-20-2016, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2016, 02:48 AM by shenanigans.)
~*~*~*~*FILLER*~*~*~*~

shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

Registered
03-22-2016, 12:28 AM
Another reserved post. Don't mind me. I have a plan for these posts, anyways; I'm not just making them randomly, I promise! c:

shenanigans
↞The Swashbucklin' Fool↠

Registered
03-23-2016, 12:56 AM
-pokkity pok-