Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
The PokéSun Chess Discussion Thread
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

The PokéSun Chess Discussion Thread
Luigi's Purple Coins
Banned

PokéDollars: ₪-518.41
Banned
03-30-2014, 11:11 PM
As a chess fan and player, I thought it would be fun if we could have a thread where we share accomplishments, discuss openings we like to use, and anything else chess-related.

I have been playing for about 17 monthsbut still consider myself a beginner at the game. My favorite opening is Bird's Opening (1. f4) because it's unique. And although I realize that is a good way to end up in checkmate pretty quickly, I have won a few games with this opening.

Also, I still suck at chess notation, even though I own about ten chess books. It's taking me awhile to get the hang of, but I'll get there sooner or later!
xKiYoMiNaTiONx
Cosplayer

PokéDollars: ₪1,260.88
Super Moderators
03-31-2014, 12:00 AM
Chess huh, I haven't played that in years lol, and it's really sad how even though you don't play it for so long, the rules and play still sticks with ya! XD
Isaac
for Smash 4

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
03-31-2014, 12:34 AM
All I know about the game is I spam knights and kingside castling, I prefer playing as black, and I'm decidedly average.

Oh, and my favorite kind of checkmate is when I use 2 rooks to push the king all the way back, but I screw up a lot when trying to pull it off.

I think the stupid mistakes are why I'm decidedly average.

I have disappeared from here. As apology, please accept this cheery picture.

[Image: 314qek6.png]
Luigi's Purple Coins
Banned

Banned
03-31-2014, 05:19 AM
To be honest, I am not the best at delivering checkmate. I know how to do it with two queens or castles, plus with either of those by itself with my king, but I still need to work on the other basic mates.

Also Isaac, I make a bunch of stupid mistakes too, which often results in me losing pieces needlessly. So don't feel bad about that.
xKiYoMiNaTiONx
Cosplayer

PokéDollars: ₪1,260.88
Super Moderators
03-31-2014, 08:26 AM
I remember when I used to mistake the King for the Queen, and would always move him like take a pawn, and my mom'll be like, "No, no, no... The King can NOT move that many times. Only the QUEEN." XD...

Then I grew knowing that the QUEEN is da BOSS! lol
Luigi's Purple Coins
Banned

Banned
03-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Yeah, if I were a chess piece I would definitely be a queen. Sooo much power!!!
Isaac
for Smash 4

Registered
03-31-2014, 10:36 AM
(03-31-2014, 09:07 AM)Ryuuko Wrote: Yeah, if I were a chess piece I would definitely be a queen. Sooo much power!!!

If you're male, there's so much wrong with this, even though on the surface it sounds fine.

My favorite chess pieces are definitely the knights - versatile, tricky, and can threaten a lot of pieces very easily. Plus, they fight for HONOUR!!

By contrast, bishops are deadweight to me and I don't value them as much - though I hardly get rooks out unless the game has gone on for a long time. They get stuck in the corner too much.

Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
03-31-2014, 12:00 PM
See, a lot of people that I know that play chess daily tell me that Bishops are essentially just throwaway pieces, and that they're more than happy to get rid of them. I don't get that, Bishops are incredibly powerful and flexible especially in the early game - whenever I play, it's always opening with a Modern Defence, and getting a Bishop in play as quickly as possible, preferably the left hand side, depending on the opponent's opening move and intentions. Plus, getting a Bishop in play early is key in an offensive Stonewall opening, most powerful opening in the game, opens the board up for both some serious control and attack.

Rooks, now they're dead weight. Powerful mid-late game, but not even worth using up until then. Even when they're bought out, they're more often going to be used defensively for a good few turns.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
Isaac
for Smash 4

Registered
03-31-2014, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM by Isaac.)
Quote:See, a lot of people that I know that play chess daily tell me that Bishops are essentially just throwaway pieces, and that they're more than happy to get rid of them.
I should probably elaborate a bit. I don't actually think bishops are deadweight - it's just that with my playstyle, my bishops become deadweight, and I rely on the knights more.

This isn't always true; I have had some games where I've had both my bishops out and about and they've carried the game for me - especially when you have both of them next to or near each other; then you can create some phenomenal locks.

A friend of mine is absurdly good at creating pawn chains. I can't get past them.

Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
03-31-2014, 01:37 PM
I think the game needs some shaking up, the meta's been the same for 1,500 years.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clash of Clans: PokeSun shenanigans 15 1,809 04-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Last Post by Hana Song
  Roguelike Discussion and Group Hana Song 4 1,427 03-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Last Post by Hana Song
  Animal Crossing New Leaf Discussion Group Aeria 407 26,699 08-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Last Post by Zueq
  Link Between Worlds discussion Jbman5 10 2,565 12-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Last Post by StrawberryG