Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
The growing problem of Mega Pokemon
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

The growing problem of Mega Pokemon
CyChill
Games Designer

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
08-08-2014, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 12:06 PM by CyChill.)
Woo!

So today we got another three Mega Pokémon!

So at this point I took a chance to look at all the Mega Pokémon we have that are coming in some form.

Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Alakazam
Gengar
Kangaskhan
Pinsir
Gyarados
Aerodactly
Mewtwo
Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar
Blaziken
Gardevoir
Mawile
Aggron
Medicham
Manectric
Banette
Absol
Garchomp
Lucario
Abomasnow
Sceptile
Swampert
Sableye
Altaria
Salamence
Metagross
Latias
Latios
Lopunny
Diancie

Now, this was to increase the number of Pokémon without actually making new Pokémon and some of the designs are cool too.

But here is the thing. Of the near 40 Mega Pokémon we have, all receive stat boosts, with ability or type changes too on occasion.

So, this is a golden opportunity to breathe new life into Pokémon not many people use or consider, like Kingler, Crawdaunt, Masquerain, Muk, Weezing, Drapion and so on.

...No. Doesn't seem so.

Of these Pokémon so far, 4 are Legendaries. 6 are starter Pokémon. That is the hype machine in full force (Thought why Mewtwo I won't understand). The rest are more interesting.

Firstly, why do Mewtwo and Charizard alone get two mega forms? That just strikes me as a hype on fan favourites.

But look at these Pokémon here:

Pinsir, Gyarados, Aerodactly, Alakazam, Gengar, Gardevoir, Aggron, Garchomp, Lucario, Ampharos, Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, Heracross...the list goes on. Favourites or already powerful Pokémon are getting MORE powerful.

To quote a friend: "The best way to fix a problem like this is to take things away and make them weaker, rather than add"

I believe this is true. So far not many overlooked Pokémon are getting upgraded. Initially it seemed that way with Kangaskhan, Mawile and Medicham and the like, but now it seems to have lost it's way already. Sure we have the occasional Lopunny or Altaria, but it's not really set out to do what it seemed to originally do: Bring balance.

I don't know personally. It seems to be another stray from their original message. First a loss of worldwide releases and now a stray for Mega Pokémon...I dunno. Who can say what is next but chances are it might be highly questionable.

My point is...if we want to achieve balance, where everything is equal...shouldn't we give the little guys a chance over widening the gap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KqDVNowKU

Design, Create, Innovate
✯Ho-OhLugia✯
Angels of Truth and Ideals

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
08-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Do you mean giving every final evolution a mega evolution? That would be too much. And considering that, with at least 40 Mega Evolution (and probably going to be more), there would have to be another pocket in the bag saying: Mega Stones.

[Image: D5Ctidw.jpg]
We are ✯Ho-OhLugia✯, Twin heroes of Truth and Ideals.
Want to see great art? Any requests? Click this warp text to see it!
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
08-08-2014, 04:06 PM
(08-08-2014, 04:02 PM)✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Wrote: Do you mean giving every final evolution a mega evolution? That would be too much. And considering that, with at least 40 Mega Evolution (and probably going to be more), there would have to be another pocket in the bag saying: Mega Stones.

I'm not saying that. But why are a majority of Mega Pokémon given to already powerful Pokémon, thus breaking the balance further? Balance is equality not widening the gap.

Design, Create, Innovate
✯Ho-OhLugia✯

Registered
08-08-2014, 04:07 PM
I guess you're right. But why did Mewtwo get two? It already is the most powerful Pokemon (and still my second favourite Pokemon)!

CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
08-08-2014, 04:09 PM
(08-08-2014, 04:07 PM)✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Wrote: I guess you're right. But why did Mewtwo get two? It already is the most powerful Pokemon (and still my second favourite Pokemon)!

It wasn't the most powerful. Equal to several, surpassed by Kyurem and Arceus. I guess some genwunner in development couldn't cope with that.

Design, Create, Innovate
✯Ho-OhLugia✯

Registered
08-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Well, my sister thinks that Mewtwo is the most powerful Pokemon. I say they are equal, but Arceus is the most powerful.

On the topic, I think Mega Pokemon should be limited to... I don't know... say 20 Pokemon per Region? And not only Pokemon almost every person might have in their parties.

Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
08-08-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 05:19 PM by Hana Song.)
(08-08-2014, 04:06 PM)CyChill Wrote: But why are a majority of Mega Pokémon given to already powerful Pokémon...

Powerful: 9
  • Gengar
  • Gyarados
  • Mewtwo
  • Scizor
  • Tyranitar
  • Garchomp
  • Salamence
  • Latias
  • Latios

Debatable: 9
  • Charizard
  • Aerodactyl
  • Heracross
  • Blaziken
  • Lucario
  • Abomasnow
  • Swampert
  • Altaria
  • Metagross

Not Powerful: 17
  • Venusaur
  • Blastoise
  • Alakazam
  • Kangaskhan
  • Pinsir
  • Ampharos
  • Houndoom
  • Gardevoir
  • Mawile
  • Aggron
  • Medicham
  • Manectric
  • Banette
  • Absol
  • Sceptile
  • Sableye
  • Lopunny

Unknown: 1
  • Diancie

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
Joaquin
Poke Fan

Registered
08-11-2014, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2014, 02:04 PM by Joaquin.)
Mewtwo is the world's most powerful pokemon. Didn't you watch the movie? Anyways the mega evolution is honestly starting to irritate me. For every pokemon actually deserving a mega evolution (or at least an actual evolution which would be my preference) we get a pokemon who shouldn't receive a huge stat buff. Garchomp? Tyranitar? Mewtwo? Salamence? It's getting ridiculous! Pokemon like medicham, kangaskhan, mawile, and sableye are getting new life with these mega evolutions. Prior to gen 6 literally nobody used kangaskhan... now look, can't battle online without running into one! Pokemon that are pathetic and have no actual battle potential deserve to have mega evolutions thus giving trainers incentive not to just use the popular stronger pokemon but to diversify and select pokemon that have been long forgotten (I'll never forget you Farfetch'd! I'll never forget you!!!!) Powerful/OU pokemon are popular for a reason... let's give other pokemon a chance to shine. Give older and weaker pokemon a fighting edge! Let's watch a Sunflora battle an Arceus and actually win. Let's see how creative game freak can be and give dugtrio a mega evolution, a lapras, a girafarig, or shoot even torkoal... enough of these power houses becoming more powerful... and gosh darn it give gen 5 and gen 6 some damn love! They want megas too!

[Image: super_saiyan_swagger__dragon_ball_z___ve...69j3i5.png]
poke23
Junior Trainer

Registered
10-14-2014, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2014, 12:00 AM by poke23.)
I agree the mega evo of legendaries are really silly. And hopefully they will add more of the weaker or "forgotten" pokemon.
However we all have to remember that we do not know the story of the mega stone yet and they may have a great explanation why it effects legendaries and why some get two forms rather than one.
However if this is really something that is bothering you or you see as a future problem (I do) you can always contact the pokemon company in mail and give feedback. In the past they have listened and considered fan mail EDIT: on complaints... not suggestions. They do not like suggestions because of misunderstandings of credits and such. worth a try. I do know that they often check fan sites that have a lot of people to get an idea of what is liked and what is not.

Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pokemon headcanons? L6l9 0 371 11-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Last Post by L6l9
  Pokemon Colors smoakdragon 4 720 10-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post by L6l9
  If you could change anything about Pokémon, what would it be? Zueq 3 782 03-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Last Post by Miles Prower
  Pokemon: I Choose You! Movie 2017 (Trailer) Zueq 9 1,091 03-05-2017, 03:10 AM
Last Post by smoakdragon