Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
Will the Pokemon series get too many Pokemon?
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Will the Pokemon series get too many Pokemon?
Manaphy72
Hi there!

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
12-15-2013, 01:09 AM
In the sixth Generation, Gamefreak has already given us over 700 Pokemon!! That's a lot to catch em' all! Do you think that Gamefreak will stop giving us new Pokemon and make a possible Spin-off or a completely different game that involves a similar idea. Will Pokemon end by Generation seven?

Discuss below!
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
12-15-2013, 01:14 AM
i am not sure. i honestly appreciate lots of Pokemon and don't think we will get to "too many" for a while. it makes the game more challenging when you have lots to catch and battle. so for now, i say: keep em coming. i did complete black and white pretty easily and pretty fast. so what's another 100+ ?

|ASB Profile|                              |Sprite Shop|                                                |RP Trainer Card|

[Image: gengarsig_zpsce68b465.jpg]
WmONeil
Ace Trainer

Registered
12-15-2013, 10:54 AM
How many is too many? Zoos are like Pokémon. They catch a lot of creatures, but their are many new ones to find. They do not have all species caught either.
Joaquin
Poke Fan

Registered
12-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Never too many! So many varieties! So many possible team combinations! KEEP EM COMING!

[Image: super_saiyan_swagger__dragon_ball_z___ve...69j3i5.png]
Miles Prower
The Blonde Brainiac

PokéDollars: ₪1,179.73
Veterans
12-17-2013, 06:19 PM
It's hard to say. Nintendo and GameFreak won't stop one of their biggest cash cows so still be expected to "Catch 'em All".

Yeah, all 1,000+ of them.

Have fun!

| My Ask Thread | 3DS FC: 4055-4094-4151 |

"Smarter than the average Lisa."
(07-03-2013, 07:37 PM)Skye Wrote: You requesting it for free is like walking into a video game store and asking for a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever because it sucked.
49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 6c 6d 6f 73 74 20 61 73 20 73 6d 61 72 74 20 61 73 20 6d 65 21 20
Isaac
for Smash 4

Registered
12-17-2013, 07:11 PM
"Will there ever be too many Pokemon?" Or rather, "Do they already have too many Pokemon?"

I definitely fall into the latter group. I always viewed Gen 4 as the sort of "game-over" for the series, usually seen in how the legendary Pokemon were designed. You can look at it through time: in Kanto, you have incarnations of ice, thunder, and lightning; and in Johto you have successors to that, plus two birds and a folklore tale tying into that.

In Hoenn they emphasize folklore a bit more, but also expand into the mythos. The 3 main legendaries there are actually creators of things: land, water, and sky. Those were stated to have created the physical state of the world as we know it. In Sinnoh the pantheon goes one step beyond that; you have space, time, and anti-matter in a triumvirate, and at the top of that triumvirate is...well, the equivalent of a god.

And that was when they rebooted the series, so to speak. In Unova, more emphasis was placed on folklore of legendary Pokemon, and less on what they actually represent - Cobalion and co were just a trio of Pokemon that defended their home against humans, and Reshiram and co are far from being noble personifications of anything; in the BW2 Pokedex entries, it states that Reshiram has the power to, not create, but destroy the world. Kalos drives it even further away from that point; to have any less legendary Pokemon at this point would be to remove them altogether.

Since RSE's release, a game has been largely defined by what its legendary Pokemon mascot is, and what other things accompany them. And with DPPt's epoch ending with what is effectively a god...well, there's nowhere further to go from there.

I've always been of the opinion that Gen 4 had just enough Pokemon. You had a nice-looking number (493) to choose from; it was a little shy of 500, though you could always just round up. But capitalism beckons that they create more, and create more they shall, for the sake of a profit. That is not to say that they are incapable of creating new and innovative designs (even now they still exist, though they get sparser with each passing generation), but I believe it's a safe assumption to say that they are steadily exhausting their resources.

I still wait for the day for when Pokemon says "Okay, we've come this far, we have done well enough - it's time to just call it quits while we're ahead and leave the series just like this, to be preserved forever". I will have tremendous respect for them if they decide to do that and I won't think any less of them if they stop. It's good enough, isn't it? You can only have so many variations on an idea.

I have disappeared from here. As apology, please accept this cheery picture.

[Image: 314qek6.png]
xKiYoMiNaTiONx
Cosplayer

PokéDollars: ₪1,254.21
Super Moderators
12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
and coming up with pokemon names is a hard thing to do too!
Nammm3
Pokémon Gamer

Registered
12-18-2013, 12:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013, 12:23 AM by Nammm3.)
I don't think there will be too many pokémon, I used to think that it's eventually going to get stale BUT the introduction of the mega evolutions has continued to ''fresh'' up some of the 1st generation pokémon.

(12-17-2013, 07:11 PM)Isaac Wrote: "Will there ever be too many Pokemon?" Or rather, "Do they already have too many Pokemon?"

I definitely fall into the latter group. I always viewed Gen 4 as the sort of "game-over" for the series, usually seen in how the legendary Pokemon were designed. You can look at it through time: in Kanto, you have incarnations of ice, thunder, and lightning; and in Johto you have successors to that, plus two birds and a folklore tale tying into that.

In Hoenn they emphasize folklore a bit more, but also expand into the mythos. The 3 main legendaries there are actually creators of things: land, water, and sky. Those were stated to have created the physical state of the world as we know it. In Sinnoh the pantheon goes one step beyond that; you have space, time, and anti-matter in a triumvirate, and at the top of that triumvirate is...well, the equivalent of a god.

And that was when they rebooted the series, so to speak. In Unova, more emphasis was placed on folklore of legendary Pokemon, and less on what they actually represent - Cobalion and co were just a trio of Pokemon that defended their home against humans, and Reshiram and co are far from being noble personifications of anything; in the BW2 Pokedex entries, it states that Reshiram has the power to, not create, but destroy the world. Kalos drives it even further away from that point; to have any less legendary Pokemon at this point would be to remove them altogether.

Since RSE's release, a game has been largely defined by what its legendary Pokemon mascot is, and what other things accompany them. And with DPPt's epoch ending with what is effectively a god...well, there's nowhere further to go from there.

I've always been of the opinion that Gen 4 had just enough Pokemon. You had a nice-looking number (493) to choose from; it was a little shy of 500, though you could always just round up. But capitalism beckons that they create more, and create more they shall, for the sake of a profit. That is not to say that they are incapable of creating new and innovative designs (even now they still exist, though they get sparser with each passing generation), but I believe it's a safe assumption to say that they are steadily exhausting their resources.

I still wait for the day for when Pokemon says "Okay, we've come this far, we have done well enough - it's time to just call it quits while we're ahead and leave the series just like this, to be preserved forever". I will have tremendous respect for them if they decide to do that and I won't think any less of them if they stop. It's good enough, isn't it? You can only have so many variations on an idea.

I respect your opinion but there are some Pokémon gamers out there that would love to share their future children/grandchildren with their pokémon and it'll be a continuous cycle of future pokémon to catch and train. Every generation of gamers i've seen have loved their own generation of pokémon compared to other generations; I'm a huge fan of the 1st generation because it was the generation I grew up with, other gamers have loved gen III or IV because it was their first generation(s).

It's incredible the amount of hype that builds with each new generation, it never seems to get old like other games (Call of Duty, Madden Football for example). Even if it seems like a ''capitalistic'' mindset to continue creating new Pokémon, the general majority of consumers love it just as much as the consumers who look forward to the new iPod/iPad every year.
Isaac
for Smash 4

Registered
12-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Quote:I respect your opinion but there are some Pokémon gamers out there that would love to share their future children/grandchildren with their pokémon and it'll be a continuous cycle of future pokémon to catch and train. Every generation of gamers i've seen have loved their own generation of pokémon compared to other generations; I'm a huge fan of the 1st generation because it was the generation I grew up with, other gamers have loved gen III or IV because it was their first generation(s).
Yes, that is also an opinion out there. You can argue that Pokemon can still keep itself fresh by continually introducing more species...and you can argue that it can keep itself fresh by not introducing any more. In one view, you introduce the new. In another, you preserve the old. (Mega-Evolutions are a perfect example of this. You either like them or you dislike them. I personally loathe them.)

Each person loving the generation they started in is not necessarily true. Though the first game I played was Yellow (in 1999), the first game I owned was Gold (Christmas 2000). Today, Gen 1 and 2 are the ones I like the least - there is little to do unless you exploit glitches and such (in RBY) or just try and drag trainer battles on out forever (in GSC). Ah, and of course there is the risk of the internal battery dying and losing your save. It's already happened to my Crystal, and I never want to boot up my near-perfect Gold save ever again for fear of losing it. (For those curious, my favorite is the generation that immediately followed, Gen 3.)

Quote:It's incredible the amount of hype that builds with each new generation, it never seems to get old like other games (Call of Duty, Madden Football for example). Even if it seems like a ''capitalistic'' mindset to continue creating new Pokémon, the general majority of consumers love it just as much as the consumers who look forward to the new iPod/iPad every year.
I know, and because of this, Pokemon has to keep going. As much as I do not like where Pokemon is headed at this point in time, I cannot deny that, for the sake of capitalism and consumers, it will have to keep going. For as many people that become disenchanted with the new changes, there will be just as many that will see something new and exciting and wish to try it.

I would definitely like them to just stop and call it quits, but I don't see that happening any time soon. I do hope, however, that they have the wisdom to know when to stop, when the franchise risks becoming stale beyond belief.

I have disappeared from here. As apology, please accept this cheery picture.

[Image: 314qek6.png]
CyChill
Games Designer

Registered
12-18-2013, 04:22 AM
I agree with Isaac entirely, and I can expand on this further with Economic theory.

If we were to assume a product never changes, what happens? It stagnates (A la New Super Mario Bros.) and interest falls. The game, technically speaking, goes nowhere fast, and I think Generation 6 is the first in this line.

I will eternally praise Generation 5 for going back to what the original games before, especially Diamond and Pearl, did. Those big scary legendary Pokémon aren't Gods. You aren't catching Zeus in a Pokeball. You catch the representation of an idea. Reshiram and Zekrom represent truth and ideals, and Kyurem represents the absence of spirit in humanity. This is the kind of thing I like because I then find the concept and the Pokémon overall, less restrictive.

Unfortunately, people like to forget that gaming is an industry. A big one. THE biggest some can argue. However, some games, like GTA and CoD, or many realistic styled games have hit a glass ceiling. Everyone has begun noting how many FPS games, or those who thrive on realistic graphical presentation, are stating to stagnate - fast.

This is something (and sorry for this analogy @Isaac) that I can liken very much to Doctor Who. When one actor's tenure is up, and it's time to move on, simply regenerate, get a new personality, new coat of paint and new aspects, but retain the memories of when he was a past incarnation.

This is what I like Pokémon for doing. Every generation, it regenerates. It keeps the memories of it's past incarnations, but brings some new personality in a new region and characters and Pokémon. It brings a new face, a new look on what we can have for the future, but also keeping some of the past Pokémon available.

Sadly however, I feel, like Isaac, that X and Y are the point where, for want of a better term, you used up that regeneration just for the new coat of paint. That's it. If Pokémon WAS to stop getting new Pokémon, the whole key aspect of each new incarnation is shot in the foot. It simply does not exist, because as we all know, that's what we really look forward to. Plus, with Mega Evolution, it's a case of taking the old and bringing it back to make it relevant again. That would be like the Eleventh Doctor regenerating backwards into the Tenth. Great but...we want something new, you know?

It comes to reason that because of new Pokémon, and because of the re-imagining of each incarnation of the series, that Pokémon has lasted this long as it is. If they were to start even THINKING that there are too many Pokémon, we would slowly decline into the FPS abyss, where the only innovation is, as I said, a regeneration for the sake of it.

I do however also agree with Isaac in that yes, call it quits. However, not forever. Give us a break. Make the next incarnation, take us up to around 800 Pokémon, and then let it sit for a few years, then come in with the 8th Generation in around 7 years time, when we are ready.

I also feel that introducing new Pokémon in fewer numbers is a poorer way of handling each incarnation, but as I have said, that's okay, just for the love of god do not bring back the old with a touch of paint. We want new, not new-ish. This is Pokemon not Mario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KqDVNowKU

Design, Create, Innovate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pokemon headcanons? L6l9 0 359 11-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Last Post by L6l9
  Pokemon Colors smoakdragon 4 700 10-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post by L6l9
  If you could change anything about Pokémon, what would it be? Zueq 3 727 03-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Last Post by Miles Prower
  Pokemon: I Choose You! Movie 2017 (Trailer) Zueq 9 1,063 03-05-2017, 03:10 AM
Last Post by smoakdragon