Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
XY: 6th Gen - OU Beta Mega Venusaur
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

XY: 6th Gen - OU Beta Mega Venusaur
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪1,014.12
Veterans
11-15-2013, 12:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014, 08:10 PM by Hana Song.)
I just built this team a few hours ago and already I've been having a lot of success with it (15-0 atm) so far.

Original Team
Spoiler:
[Image: 003-m.png]
M-Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 Def
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

The main reason I built this team was to try out Mega-Venusaur and I gotta say it can tank hits extremely well. Once it goes Mega then the only attacks it takes Super Effective damage from are Psychic and Flying (both of which are easy to see coming). The EV spread and nature are to make it able to tank as many hits as possible on the special side which still being able to handle physical attackers like Breloom. Giga Drain is STAB and give some nice extra recovery while Sludge Bomb is also STAB and though it doesn't provide the best coverage it has a nice 30% chance to poison my opponent making them easier to manage and racks up damage rather quickly with Leech Seed. Speaking of which it is Mega-Venusaur's only form of recovery outside of Giga Drain and is useful against anything that tries to switch into it. Lastly, Sleep Powder is there to put one Pokemon on your opponent's team out of commission for a few turns which is always nice. Was also considering running HP Fire over Sludge Bomb for Steel as well as Grass types (Ferrothorn walls this set) since they are immune to Leech Seed and Sleep Powder but it has worked out well enough so far and the extra damage to Fairy types helps as well.

[Image: 663.png]
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

I can't honestly see myself building any kind of 6th Gen team without a Talonflame on it because it is just too good not to use! Priority, STAB, Adamant Brave Bird's are no laughing matter and easily makes Talonflame one of the best revenge killers in the game. Dual STAB with Brave Bird and Flare Blitz give pretty solid coverage while Roost allows me to regain HP quickly. For the Pokemon that love switching into Talonflame's dual STAB (Tyranitar, Tyrantrum, and Rotom-W but mostly the first 2) I have Will-O-Wisp which may seem odd at first on a Physical powerhouse but is surprisingly effective since most of the Pokemon that switch into it are severely crippled by a burn and will get worn down faster as the battle progresses. Have even managed to catch a few Garchomps as they Mega Evolve which actually caused a couple rage quits xD.

[Image: 697.png]
Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Ah Tyrantrum has quickly became one of my favorite Pokemon this gen because of its great bulk and power. This set however focuses on getting rocks up. A Focus Sash means that 99.99999% of the time if it is still in tact that I will be able to set up my rocks which is extremely helpful thanks to the high Talonflame usage. Speaking of which Tyrantrum scares out any standard Talonflame set and resists its dual STAB while threatening it with a STAB Rock attack. Once rocks are up this set still packs a pretty mean punch with its Rock/Dragon STAB attacks and Earthquake is there for Aegislash mostly but can also take out Mega-Gengar if it misses a Focus Blast or its Sash is still in tact.

[Image: 530.png]
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 84 Spd / 172 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

With the nerf to weather I am so happy to see Excadrill in OU because it is a fantastic Spinner that can be used on any kind of team effectively thanks to its reasonable bulk and its offensive abilities. Earthquake is STAB and with Mold Breaker hits Pokemon with Levitate that would normally cause it a lot of grief (looking at you Rotom, Rotom-W, Rotom-H). For EdgeQuake coverage I use Rock Slide which does serious damage to anything not effected by Earthquake (flying Dragon's, Togekiss, etc.). Rapid Spin is obviously to keep my side of the field hazard free and let me switch around as needed without taking a lot of unnecessary damage. Finally, I finish off my set with Substitute which eases prediction a lot and can help you get some nice damage off on Pokemon that normally scare Excadrill out (Azumarill, Garchomp, Gyarados, Mamoswine, Greninja, Kangaskhan, etc.).

[Image: 479-w.png]
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Physically Defensive Rotom-W makes a really good check to Talonflame as well as rounding off a solid Fire/Water/Grass core on this team. As I just mentioned this Pokemon's sole reason is to pretty much stop Talonflame in its tracks. Dual STAB for solid damage and HP Ice for coverage against Grass and Dragon types. Not many run HP Ice either so it has a nice surprise factor. Thunder Wave is nice to cripple opposing sweepers and to just be annoying in general.

[Image: 671.png]
Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

The last Pokemon on this team I really wasn't sure about using. Florges has some insane Special Defense as well as the ability to be a Cleric with Aromatherapy and a Wish Passer all at the same time. It has quickly became a key member into my defensive strategy as it can sponge Special hits all day long. On top of that mine is EV'd to take physical hits as well making it that much harder to take down. Aromatherapy is to keep my team and Florges status free. Wish provides some nice healing to my team which has no form of recovery outside of it and M-Venusaur's Leech Seed. Protect ensures Florges is able to heal up no matter what the opponent decides to go for. Moonblast is its only attacking move and really the only one needed. STAB and deals a decent amount of damage to pretty much everything that doesn't resist it while having a 30% chance to drop my opponents Special Attacks by 1 stage allowing Florges to stay in for even longer.
Exportable
Spoiler:
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 Def
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 84 Spd / 172 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Current Team

[Image: 711-h.png]
Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Phantom Force

Replaced M-Venusaur for a Physically Bulky Super Gourgeist to effectively check OU's top spinner at the moment, Excadrill. It naturally resists Earthquake, is immune to Rapid Spin, can cripple it with Wow, and tank pretty much anything it wants to trow Gourgeist's way other than a Sub SD Shadow Claw set....but really what are the odds of someone running that kind of set on Excadrill? -_- Leech Seed gives extra recovery as well as whittling down the opponent with residual damage, Sub protects it from any unwanted damage or status (watch out for Infiltrator Pokemon) while WoW cripples any Physical attacker and adds even more residual damage. The final move in this set seems a bit odd since Phantom Force is a 2 turn attack but due to the rest of the moves on the set as well as Gourgeist's horrible speed it is a perfectly viable attack. From behind a Sub Gourgeist can Phantom Force safely no matter what. Once in said attack then your opponent will either take damage from Leech Seed/Burn OR switch to something to take the Phantom Force. As long as your opponent doesn't switch out to a Normal type than Gourgeist will 99% of the time attack after your opponent giving you free damage while gaining extra Leftovers recovery as well. If you are lucky enough to still be behind a Sub then you can simply Burn or Seed whatever Pokemon your opponent switched in but if not then all you have to do is switch to another team member that can check it.

[Image: 663.png]
Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

[Image: 697.png]
Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

[Image: 530.png]
Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

[Image: 479-w.png]
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Messed with the EV's a bit to allow Rotom-W to be able to take a few Special attacks better without losing the ability to counter Talonflame.

[Image: 671.png]
Florges (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Not giving up on Florges just yet but if this set doesn't perform well then it will be replaced with M-Gardevoir. Turned it into a bulky attacking set rather than a defensive one to give it more of an offensive presence on the field. Also, seeing as it is offensive I replaced Protect with HP Ground since the 3 types that resist Fairy (Fire, Poison, Steel) are all weak to Ground.

Exportable
Spoiler:
Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Phantom Force

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Well that is the team and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and ideas about it are so be sure to post and give me any suggestions! ^^

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^
FormerOG767
Cogito ergo sum

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
11-15-2013, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM by FormerOG767.)
I honestly really like this team. There are just a few Pokemon that this team would have a tough time taking out, and I would like to address the ones that come to my mind.

There have been some teams with Scolipede that have been giving me immense trouble, even if I don't lead off with my Smeargle, simply because it is so fast, usually sets up a Sub, and has access to Speed Boost, Swords Dance, and Baton Pass. A lot of people like to use this and pass off to a Cloyster with Skill Link, who then proceeds to use a deadly combination of Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, and Hydro Pump. Since this Scolipede will outspeed anything on your team, I believe it is important that you recognize this threat.

You have a very well-built team. I would try to find something that would give you more Rock-type resistance, as you don't have anything willing to take a heavy hitting Rock Slide/Stone Edge besides Excadrill and maybe Rotom-W. Ice types may also be a bit of a concern seeing as only Rotom-W resists them, but as long as the actual Pokemon itself is isn't (I meant) Ice-type, it shouldn't be too much worry. Watch out for strong Psychic types, such as Superpower Contrary Malamar or Mega Gardevoir.

Overall, I like the team. I was only really able to come up with unlikely hypotheticals, so there isn't really any alarm. Just be wary of what I have proposed Wink

A solid 9.5/10. it would be 10/10 if you put Emolga on there, but you didn't ;-;

[img=0x200]http://i.imgur.com/7yWZOgj.png[/img]
Thanks to FPB for the signature and avatar~

Check out my ASB profile! (or not... either way, it's there Tongue)

My FC is 0130-2313-2579; Let me know yours!
Flyleaf
bright, not just white

PokéDollars: ₪52.34
Registered
11-15-2013, 09:03 PM
I believe that any questions or concerns I may have had with this team were answered by Former, which leaves me with the reasoning that this is quite a solid team. I think you could have gone for a better pokemon than Rotom (it may just be my personal hatred for the thing), but besides this, I may try it in PO. I give it a 8.5/10.
**applauds**
ninJAS

Veterans
11-16-2013, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 12:54 AM by ninJAS.)
Thanks to both of you for your comments ^^

@FormerOG767 I'm pretty sure that Scolipede doesn't get Speed Boost xD and even if it did Talonflame would always be faster with Brave Bird thanks to Gale Wings and could take it out. I assume you were meaning Ninjask and even it will take a ton of damage from Talonflame may even OHKO but idk since I haven't seen one yet...if I see a team with Ninjask though then I would more than likely lead straight with Talonflame to make it unable to set up at all.

Mold Breaker Excadrill and offensive Dragon Dance Tyrantrum are big problems for this team though Florges can somewhat handle the latter but really the best thing I have to handle Excadrill with is Talonflame which I'm unsure if it can OHKO it or not with Flare Blitz :/ other than that then Venusaur can take one hit but it can't switch into an Earthquake.

Both of the Psychic types haven't caused me any grief as of yet since Florges handles Malamar and Excadrill resists the attacks M-Gardevoir usually carries and with the Speed EV's then it actually outspeeds the defensive variants and is able to 2HKO with Earthquake.

@Flyleaf the main reason I use Rotom-W is because it functions extremely well on this team.

1) It checks one of the best revenge killers in the game, Talonflame.
2) Provides a solid Fire/Water/Grass core for my team.
3) Volt Switch lets me take advantage of my opponents switches (like switching out Talonflame since it can do nothing to Rotom and I can bring in the best check possible to my opponent's switch).
4) Solid coverage and the ability to Paralyze enemy sweepers since half of the team is incredibly slow.

Really nothing else fits in its spot but please feel free to make any suggestions ^^

Also, I've been considering switching out my Florges for a different Fairy type but am unsure what to use since I hardly ever use Wish....perhaps I could just run a more offensive Florges set instead? Suggestions please?

FormerOG767
Cogito ergo sum

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
11-16-2013, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 01:05 AM by FormerOG767.)
Nah, I definitely meant Scolipede HeHe! The Scolipede line had Quick Feet as their hidden ability in Gen V, but they now have Speed Boost. It threw me off too @_@ title=@_@ class=smilie smilie_35 It also gained an Attack buff; for whatever reason, Gen VI was a godsend for Scolipede. Just make sure to lead with Talonflame when you see a Scolipede Tongue

I can still see M-Gardevoir as a threat because it has access to Focus Blast, and, despite the shaky accuracy, will definitely OHKO your Excadrill if it lands.

And I like Rotom-W. It is surprisingly bulky and sometimes difficult to take down. Just be wary of those MB Excadrills ^^

[img=0x200]http://i.imgur.com/7yWZOgj.png[/img]
Thanks to FPB for the signature and avatar~

Check out my ASB profile! (or not... either way, it's there Tongue)

My FC is 0130-2313-2579; Let me know yours!
Flyleaf
bright, not just white

Registered
11-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes. Former, I love you. I was going to suggest running an M-Gardevoir instead, just because of my love for it's evolutionary chain. And while I understand your need for such a Pokemon, and if I find something better, I will. *cynicism*But alas, for the time being, I must live with this dreadful Pokemon being on such a wonderful team.*cynicism*
ninJAS

Veterans
11-16-2013, 09:50 AM
The only issue I have with running Mega Gardevoir is the fact that I will no longer be able to use Mega Venusaur which is kinda the whole reasonni built this team lol but yea I will definitely think about replacing Florges for it.

Are you serious @FormerOG767 -_- why would they change it's hidden ability....lol I will be sure to watch out for it though and I appreciate you letting me know about it ^^

Also, am curious to see if I'm the only one that didn't know that Defog removes all forms of entry hazards as well as dual screens?? O.o not sure if that is new this Gen or what but I dont remember it being able to do that.....unless I'm just an idiot which is a perfectly probable assumption as well xD

Flyleaf
bright, not just white

Registered
11-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Ah. I see. Now, if I may, might I convince you to let me try this out a bit? I'm interested in the possibility of running it and testing out switching Rotom for Gallade or Mega Gardevoir. If not, I am totally fine with it.
ninJAS

Veterans
11-16-2013, 11:00 AM
I am actually considering replacing Florges with Mega Gardevoir as well as replacing Mega Venusaur with a Super Sized Gourgeist as it is easily the best check to Excadrill as well as Breloom. It would also allow me to have a more offensive Mega that can threaten out more Pokemon. I hate to see Venusaur go as it was going a good job so far but this team needs some updating and that's the only place I can find to move Pokemon around without massively effecting the function of the team itself.

I will post the updated team later ^^ thank you both for the suggestions and please feel free to continue doing so! Anyone else is welcome to comment as well Smile

Flyleaf
bright, not just white

Registered
11-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Of course. The updating seems quite reasonable, and I'll readily agree with it. If you ever want to test it out on Pokemon Online or where ever you see fit, I'd be glad to help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XY: RMT 6th Gen [OU] Cujo 12 3,525 02-02-2014, 02:24 AM
Last Post by Cujo
  XY: Trick Room [Gen VI OU] Yunan 3 1,993 12-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Last Post by Yunan
  BW: ☁Gen 5 Doubles: Trick Rain☁ Bloom 2 1,791 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Last Post by Bloom
  XY: RMT - Gen VI NU? Ombra 0 843 11-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Last Post by Ombra