Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
XY: OU: Steelix Smash!
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

XY: OU: Steelix Smash!
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪546.42
Registered
12-19-2014, 02:22 PM

Just made this team a day or two ago and it is working out rather nicely so far. Based the entire thing around Mega Steelix just because I wanted to see if the comments stating that "Aggron out classes Steelix unless it is in Sand." held any worth and I must say...Mega Steelix is no slouch when it comes to taking hits or dishing out some serious damage.

[Image: 208.png]

Steelix (M) @ Steelixite
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock

After trying several variants of Mega Steelix I ultimately ended up sticking with this set since it functions and supports the rest of the team pretty well. Sturdy for the ability just in case I need to take a massive hit before going mega but really it never happens because of the huge amount of bulk Steelix is packing around. Used a tanky spread with an Adamant nature to hit hard and be hit hard (With this spread it has a chance to live 3 Earthquakes from Mega Metagross) the added HP investment helps it take some neutral special attacks a bit better as well, mainly from Fairies and Lati@s not packing Surf, it should not try staying in on special attackers though unless absolutely necessary. Earthquake and Heavy Slam are STAB and deal a helluva lot of damage thanks to it new buffed attack and the fact that it puts on quite a bit of weight as well. Ice Fang is for coverage against Gliscor, Landorus, and Dnite while Stealth Rock is utility and is pretty easy to set up repeatedly with Steelix's bulk.

[Image: latias.gif]

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

To complement Steelix's typing both offensive and defensively I added a standard LO Defog Latias. Set is pretty self explanatory and is so common I really shouldn't have to go into any details with it....but I will anyway! Draco is for nuking purposes and simply having it around will force my opponent to make a lot of switches in fear or it. Psyshock is for dual STAB able to deal hefty chunks of damage to Mega Venu, Keldeo, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and any other Poison or Fighting type. Defog is to clear away hazards and Recover is to keep it health and heal up any LO recoil. Biggest let down here is that I couldn't squeeze HP Fire onto the set to roast Ferrothorn who is a slight problem for this team.

[Image: azumarill.gif]

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SDef
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

With my first two Pokemon chosen I noticed a pretty noticeable Greninja weakness, which is never a good thing, so I added AV Azu just to be able to tank any set not running Gunk Shot, and other neutral/resisted special attacks in general. It also give me a solid switch in to Fire Blast TTar who would otherwise deal massive chunks of damage to Steelix. Waterfall and Play Rough are great dual STABs and alongside Knock Off there isn't much that wants to switch into it. Aqua Jet is there to revenge kill weakened pokes like Lando, Meta Ttar, ZardX/Y, Mamo, etc. before they are able to attack.

[Image: talonflame.gif]

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Now with all of my weaknesses, outside of Ghost, covered I was able to throw in another threat, Talonflame. Extremely common Pokemon but extremely effective at what it does. Went with a Sharp Beak SD set but chose Adamant over Jolly for a bit of extra power. Max speed just to creep with U-turn against any non Scarf base 110 or lower. Brave Bird is the crux of the set along side Gale Wings giving that massive damage priority attack that everyone knows, loves, and fears. Flare Blitz give solid coverage alongside Brave Bird with U-tun to gain some switch initiative. Swords Dance is thrown onto the set just to late game sweep if I get the chance or to power through something trying to wall it.

[Image: rotom-wash.gif]

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Since I added my own Talonflame I figured I had better have something to stop enemy ones *insert Rotom-W here*. Great bulky Pokemon in general and checks Talonflame, Pinsir, Scizor, and most Mamoswine. Bold max defense to handle physical attacks better. Volt Switch is STAB and gets switch initiative which is invaluable for this team. Hydro Pump is dual STAB with solid power and decent accuracy and allows Rotom to handle Heatran. WoW is utility and burning anything is generally greatly appreciated thanks to the halved attack stat and residual damage it brings. Lastly, I like running Pain Split even though it hardly ever sees any usage just to try and keep Rotom as healthy as possible.

[Image: bisharp.gif]

Bisharp (M) @ Dread Plate
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

The last slot of my team I wasn't entirely too sure what to add so I kinda just threw on a Dread Plate Bisharp because I love running it with triple Dark coverage depending on what situation I am in. Knock Off to remove enemy items, Sucker Punch for priority, and Pursuit to finish off weakened Pokemon that try to switch out and to trap Lati@s. Iron Head is dual STAB and handles Fairy types rather nicely! With all the Defogger's running around it is pretty easy to get a free Defiant boost.

------------------------------------

The biggest issue this team has, aside from Ferrothorn, is easily Mold Breaker Excadrill since without my Levitaters the only thing I have to switch into its Earthquake is Talonflame. Same could be said about Mega Gyarados but it is not very common right now because of all the new megas. Was on the verge of replacing Bisharp with a Landorus-T, which would eliminate my Excadrill problem, but figured I would post this thread first to see what everyone else's opinion was on the matter.

Any and all feedback is wanted and appreciated! ^^

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
12-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Oh boy, I'm here to rate a team that I know nothing about, in a metagame that I also know nothing about. Mainly going to be bringing up technical things here, nothing to do with threats or roles because I don't know what Gen VI threats are. There's that.

Speed tiers are important, and as your EVs are right now, you're not going to be outspeeding things that are going to be pretty useful to outspeed. Even if it's only useful some of the time, you're still going to be outspeeding those threats when you come up against them. I don't know about you, but that's really what I tend to go for - in my mind, it's totally worth moving small amounts of EVs around to cover things off. You know me, I like covering off every weakness I can.

I only just learned that Mega Steelix is a thing that exists, and I love it already. I come from Gen II, of course I love me a good Steelix. With an Adamant nature and 0 EVs in Speed, you speed tie with Calm 0 Amoonguss and Bold 0 Reuniclus, and we know how much Reuniclus likes Focus Blast. In the event that you stay in against it, you lose that speed tie, you're going to lose your Steelix - Focus Blast does 132 - 156% to Steelix, and since Mega Steelix's SpDef isn't that much better, it'll likely KO that too.

Simple solution there, run 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd.

Not much you can do about this, but Scarf Terrakion has a chance to OHKO Latias after Stealth Rock damage with X-Scissor. Not much you can do, but something to keep an eye out for. You probably do already, but oh well.

It'd be good for your Azumarill to outspeed Sassy Mixed Tyranitar, as well as Bold 0 Blissey too, since it can also take care of them pretty damn easily. Minimal EV editing required, but you should be able to win one-on-one against Blissey after that, and Tyranitar is 2HKOd by Play Rough - this is with a set of 196 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SDef / 44 Spd

I think I'd much prefer you run a Timid nature on your Talonflame. I know that you have priority moves, your team's actually pretty heavy on them, but with an Adamant nature you risk opposing Thundurus and Tornadus that run 252 and Timid outrunning you - 252 Timid Thundurus does a minimum of 170% damage to you with Thunderbolt, that's ridiculous.

I get that that's a fairly easy and obvious switch out for you, but with a Timid nature yourself you can at least get the U-Turn off on Thundurus to bring in Steelix or Latias, and in my opinion that's a lot better than just switching out. Plus, with a Timid nature you also end up outspeeding things like bulky Dragonites at +1, extremely bulky Volcaronas at +1, DD Tyranitar and, what seems really important to me, Jolly/Timid Mega Lucario.

In my opinion, if you want a threat that's fast, it's completely worth sacrificing power for that role. Go all-out on it, because Speed here is extremely important.

Other than that, all I can say is that I wish Bisharp had a little more Speed, but I know that it really needs an Adamant nature to function well. Just two more points in Speed would put it ahead of bulky Kyurem-B and Bold 16 Tentacruels. Shame, but what can you do, I guess?

Probably a useless post overall, but I think I've still got it.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪546.42
Registered
12-20-2014, 12:38 AM
I'll start this off by saying any advice is helpful even if it is a little outdated where you haven't battled any in 6th Gen.

I can honestly say that I have not battled a single Reuniclus this entire Generation...it lost a lot of usage this Gen, I believe it is RU now, but that doesn't mean it couldn't turn into an issue if I'm not prepared for it. Probably the best way I have to deal with it quickly is Bisharp. Can Knock Off it's item and then die allowing me to Bring something else in to finish the job. Of course Reuni has to rely on Focus Miss actually hitting in order to take out my Bisharp whereas it can just Knock Off twice for the kill.

The EV spread you suggested for my Steelix is what I am using now >.> tanky spread with max HP and max Atk

If my opponent does bring Terrakion in against my Latias at a decent amount of HP then I know for a fact that it will be scarfed and if that is the case Steelix can easily eat up Stone Edge, X-scissor, and Poison Jabs all day long. Unless of course my opponent is a god at predicting or just has balls of steel using CC or EQ against a Latias....Azumarill is also a good switch in since it resists CC and X-scissor while at the same time being able to force out Terrakion with the Aqua Jet.

Sassy Mixed TTar was one of my favorite variants to run last Gen but sadly it also has seen very little to no usage this Gen since TTar received a Mega and is 90% of the time Full Offensive with Assault Vest or Physically Defensive in order to check Talonflame. Blissey has dropped to UU now and Chansey has replaced it in OU. Azumarill is generally able to handle both of them really well though since it is able to Knock Off their items and put offensive pressure on their weaker defensive side.....really the easiest way for my team to handle Chansey though is Knock Off on Bisharp followed up by a Pursuit. That combo always 2HKO's on the switch so long as it doesn't Softboiled as I Knock Off. The EV's on Azumarill are just to be able to tank special attacks pretty easily, which this team has a bit of an issue with, mainly from Greninja without Gunk Shot and Keldeo.

When you say a Timid nature on Talonflame I assume you mean Jolly correct? Since Timid actually lowers it's attack >.> the beauty of Talonflame is that regardless of how much speed investment you have with it's Gale Wings ability all Flying type moves receive +1 priority! That means even if it had no speed investment it could still outspeed Scarf Pokemon and naturally faster/boosted Pokemon by using the strongest Priority attack in the game. So since speed isn't all that important, unless you are using something other than BB, an Adamant nature is generally the only one ever used just to deal as much damage as possible. Also, Mega Lucario is banned to Uber so it isn't an issue >.>

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
12-20-2014, 05:52 AM
I prepared for this and know exactly who to blame for my bad advice, I was going by a threatlist from... eugh, Serebii. Mega Lucario's Uber, huh? That's a weird one. And yeah, Jolly on Talonflame, whatever, it's all the same thing. Still would like to see it rather than just resorting to the switch against things like that, though. Net same result in the end - switching or U-Turn - but like I said, it's still damage that you can do that you wouldn't be doing otherwise.

Really? No slow and bulky TTar this generation? Jeez, I might have to do something about that. And Blissey in UU? Jeez, I'm old. This is only making me think that the metagame's even more messed up than I thought.

Basically I'm old and too good for this - I'm cold, grumpy, hungry, and I want to go home because I'll miss my show.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip