Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussions, to Pokkén Tournament speculations, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
XY: Trick Room [Gen VI OU]
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

XY: Trick Room [Gen VI OU]
Yunan
The Silent One

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
12-28-2013, 03:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014, 08:05 PM by Hana Song.)
So I felt like trying something new, and, well, TR was an interesting choice, as well as a couple of sets and Pokemons I haven't used before, mainly the underrated Mega Ampharos. With (surprisingly) 6 consecutive wins so far, I think this team is good, but let's see what you guys think.

[Image: 186.png]
Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam

It has been a while since I last used weather, Gen 5's mechanics made it OP IMO, but now that its no longer permanent, it's fine with me. Scald for STAB move with 30% burn chance, Perish Song and Potect to stop Pokemon such as Aegislash, Ice Beam for coverage.

[Image: 437.png]
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Bronzong is a solid wall by himself, and rain allows him to take fire attacks well. As mentioned earlier, TR is the move this team based around, allowing my slow powerhouses to strike first most of the time. SR in a necessity, giving many threats, especially Fire Types, a hard time switching-in. Gyro Ball is a reliable STABs against faster opponents, and is unaffected by TR, EQ for coverage.

[Image: 181.png] > [Image: 181-m.png]
Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ampharos received a huge boost this gen with his mega evolution, his SpA (115 > 165) and overall bulk increases (90/85/90 > 90/105/110), which makes him a threat for unprepared teams, his low speed (base 45 when Mega) is taken care of with TR. As for the moves, T-Bolt and Dragon Pules are great STABs, Focus Blast and HP Grass for coverage, although the latter can be replaced with Volt Switch

[Image: 671.png]
Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish

Fairy-types are great competitively, resisting Fighting, Bug, Dark and Dragon, and two weakness, Poison and Steel, both covered by Bronzong. Florges is my Special wall, thanks to her base 154 base SpD. Aromatherapy and Wish for support, CM and Moonblast in case I find the right opportunity to sweep.

[Image: 711-h.png]
Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

My second TR user and Spin blocker, Gourgeist can wall many things thanks to it's typing and bulk, crippling with WoW, Leech Seed makes him even harder to take down. Shadow Sneak to avoid being taunt bait, and causes damage which is important during stall, it also hits SE gengar and Aegislash.

[Image: 534.png]
Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Payback

For those who don't know, Assault Vest raises SpD by x1.5 but the user can only use attacking moves. For Conk this is perfect, seeing as this was his main weakness in the previous gen. PUP replaces Bulk Up here, maybe inferior, but still worth using, raising his already impressive attack, Drain Punch for recovery and inflicting decent damage, Ice Punch for Gliscor mainly, and Payback for ghosts if TR's effect ends

Suggestions are welcome, and thank you for taking the time to read this.
Nammm3
Pokémon Gamer

Registered
12-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Nice team, you've got some walls on this team if your opponent doesn't have the right pokémon out in time (ugh, Politoed and Bronzong).

Nice coverage on the Ampharos. For personal preference though, when I use Dragon pokémon, I tend to have an ice-type move where i'd have a dragon-type move. Dragon-type pokémon now (in my opinion) are only useful for their resistance against water/fire/grass/electric moves, their moves are only effective against other dragons and no effect on fairy-types. So having a ice-type move, it can cover flying types, grass types, and dragons [especially X4 against dragons like Garchomp and Flygon]. But that's simply personal preference.

Nice creativity on having an assault vest on the Conkeldurr!
Bloom
*❀~Bloop Dee Woop~❀*

PokéDollars: ₪32.09
Registered
12-29-2013, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2013, 04:39 AM by Bloom.)
Ah, Trick Room. ^-^ Once you know how to properly use it, it can be an absolute pain for your opponent. Your team seems pretty solid and well thought out. Assault vest Conkellurr is pure genius and Mega Ampharos is undoubtedly a great mega to use under trick room. Politoed seems to be out of place on your team though. With generation 6, weather only lasts 5 turns, making Politoed not as reliable for an input on your team, and there are also other Pokemon that can perform its role better without setting up rain. Politoed has base 70 speed, so its not that fast, but not too slow either. 90/75/100 isn't a bad bulk either but there is always another option. I also noticed that you don't have a pokemon on your team that can remove hazards, which is a common necessity for OU teams, and since your team relies on switching for the rain effect and trick room, it would be a pretty good idea to have a bulky hazard remover.

Here is what I'll suggest:

-Sableye: It's slow, can cripple physical attackers (like aegislash), and stall opponents to death. With special defense investment it can be pretty bulky, with access to recover as well. Swagger can confuse the target and make foul play do tremendous damage even without attack to sableye investment. Will-o-wisp also doesn't affect foul play's damage calculation, so the burn affects their attacks against you, but not your foul play against them, which is pretty tactical if you ask me.

Here is a set I made if you are interested-

Sableye[Image: sableye.gif] @ Kee Berry(Raises defense when hit by a physical move; just in case the burn doesn't save you from swagger's effects Wink )
Ability: Prankster
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Another suggestion I'll make is:

-Avalugg: Extremely slow, massive bulk with solid attack stat, and a hazard remover. Just look at its stats: 95HP 117Atk 184Def 44Sp.Atk 46Sp.Def and 28Speed. Now the special defense is pitiful and ice types do have a majority of weaknesses, but there are ways to cover for that! One is the one and only, assault vest. Now it does reduce your movepool options, but its role is to remove hazards and maybe do some damage here and there. You can even use mirror coat as an attack with assault vest, so by predicting you incoming special attack, hit back with an instant KO! Avalugg also has access to recover and rain dance as well, covering its weakness to special fire based moves, top that off with a maranga berry as its held item and you have a super tank. It can be set up in various ways, but its stats alone show its capabilities from the start.

Here is a set I'll recommend if your interested-

Avalugg [Image: avalugg.gif] @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef (You can also switch the attack and sp.def evs if you want more bulk than atk.)
Brave Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche
- Gyro Ball
- Mirror Coat

or

Avalugg [Image: avalugg.gif] @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Own Tempo/Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Avalanche
- Curse

Overall, I wish you great success with your team, and good luck fooling your opponents with trick room! Wink I'll have to watch out for you in battle. Hopefully I helped by providing some suggestions, but if your team performs better without them, good for you! Never be afraid to experiment with trick room, because the possibilities are almost endless. ^^

[Image: dA219Lb.gif]
Yunan
The Silent One

Registered
12-29-2013, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2013, 05:45 AM by Yunan.)
Thanks for replying, @Nammm3.

Unless you have a Gengar, yes, those two can be a pain to deal with.

The only Ice type move Ampharos learns is Hidden Power [Ice], which is useless on Mega Ampharos. In Gen VI, HP's base power is 60, which is too low to deal any significant damage. Add STAB to T-Bolt and Dragon Pulse, you'll notice that their base power is far greater, and deal even more damage than a SE HP Ice on the types you've mentioned.

@Fairy Princess Bloom, thank you for your suggestion.
Politoed, although out of place, doesn't need a turn to set up rain, that's why I'm using him over Rain Dance users, Mega Charizard X/Y would become troublesome otherwise, as they can destroy set up and destroy me with their STAB fire attacks.

True, Sableye is a great Pokemon, and I've used him in gen 5, but his fairy weakness would make make half my team weak to fairies, especially Mega Mawile. As for Avalugg, not sure, Ice isn't a good defensive typing either, and having a Spinner was never a priority for me... I think those two wouldn't change much, I need to actually use them in battle to decide, but hey, wouldn't hurt to give those two a try.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XY: RMT 6th Gen [OU] Cujo 12 2,252 02-02-2014, 02:24 AM
Last Post by Cujo
  BW: ☁Gen 5 Doubles: Trick Rain☁ Bloom 2 846 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Last Post by Bloom
  XY: RMT - Gen VI NU? Ombra 0 447 11-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Last Post by Ombra
  BW: 5th Gen NU Team Flyleaf 1 604 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Last Post by Ombra