Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
baton passing
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

baton passing
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
05-05-2013, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013, 10:27 PM by medicham.)
is there a great way to baton pass safely? should i even risk using a baton pass team for a competitive battle? what are some great sweepers that can use the boost? but do not rely on it. what is the best passer and receiver?

[Image: 642-therian.gif]
i would love to pass to Thundurus-T and set up some Hp recovery or give it some more speed. it doesn't really need help with special attack. it can use nasty plot but does not actually have to.

also i love shedinja if there is a way to defend against all of shedinja's threats such as weather, status infliction, entree hazards, fire, dark, ghost, rock, and dark types. feel free to suggest move sets and recommendations
[Image: 292.gif]
@ focus sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVS: 255 Atk/255 Spe
IVS: x/31/x/x/x/31
-Sword Dance
- Dig
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak

|ASB Profile|                              |Sprite Shop|                                                |RP Trainer Card|

[Image: gengarsig_zpsce68b465.jpg]
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
05-06-2013, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM by Hana Song.)
Baton Pass teams are hard to get right, especially this generation, but they can definitely be done, and can be extremely powerful if play correctly. The main things to consider when attempting to make a Baton Pass team are choosing a Baton Pass receiver that can take on as many opposing threats as possible - it's no use passing boosts to something that still struggles with defensive threats - finding a team that works well and effectively in accruing boosts and passing them along, and being able to stand up against offensive threats on the other side while doing so.

Unlike most teams this generation, Baton Pass teams generally do have dedicated leads, and they can be split up into two groups - Ninjask and Smeargle. Seriously, there is almost no point trying to lead off a Baton Pass team using anything but one (of both) of these Pokémon. Smeargle's amazing movepool (well, every move ever) more than manages to make up for its lackluster stat distribution, while Ninjask's amazing Speed and movepool help it in getting boosts - using Ninjask is essentially playing a form of quickstall, while Smeargle is more like playing full stall.

Out of the two, Smeargle is my personal favourite, but that doesn't mean you can only use one on your team. Both are possible, and go together well, so always consider having both - more Pokémon that can pass boosts is always a good thing, right? Smeargle's just amazing, though. Turn one, Spore the opponent, then you're guaranteed a turn to set up with the opponent either staying in and being asleep, or switching out. Then just Baton Pass along to the next Pokémon, it's great.

Though while Ninjask has one boosting move that it is seen using (plus Speed Boost), Smeargle does have access to every single boosting move in the game, but don't get carried away. The best choice for it to use is something that boosts Speed - it's no use Sporing the opponent and then boosting your attack when whatever the opponent switches in can outspeed and KO you straight away. So the best option is something like Agility or, better yet, Shell Smash. Additionally, it gets access to Ingrain, which provides a small amount of healing per turn and protects you from being forced out by Roar or Whirlwind.

[Image: 235.png]
Smeargle @ Focus Sash | Own Tempo
Timid | 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SDef / 252 Spd | 0 Atk
Baton Pass | Shell Smash | Spore | Ingrain

Ninjask plays quite a bit differently, however. Unlike Smeargle which aims to stay in for a shorter time as possible and get out with one boost, Ninjask aims to stay in for as long as possible and get as many boosts up as possible - to both Speed and Attack - which it can usually manage well. With its naturally high Speed and Speed Boost raising it every turn, alternating between Protect and Substitute can render it untouchable outside of opponent's priority moves - Ice Shard being the main worry - and can have chances to set up Swords Dances within that too.

[Image: 291.png]
Ninjask @ Leftovers | Speed Boost
Bold | 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spd
Baton Pass | Substitute | Protect | Swords Dance

Forever a plague to Baton Pass teams, however, is the constant threat of being forced out by Roar or Whirlwind, or worn down over time by entry hazards or status conditions. Rapid Spin users aren't suited to Baton Pass teams due to the one turn it takes to do their job, it's essentially a free turn for the opponent. There would definitely need to be a way to stop this from happening, or face losing your well-earned boosts - it'd definitely suck if you were about to pass to your sweeper and you lose everything.

The ability Magic Bounce is just incredible, even outside Baton Pass teams. Every non-damaging move is thrown back at the opponent - status moves, phasing moves, status changes, everything - and that is something that a Baton Pass team can really appreciate. Two Pokémon can have this ability, and both work very well in the OU tier - Espeon and Xatu. Espeon is a faster option, still being able to outspeed a good number of OU threats without boosts, while Xatu is a more defensive option, with an amazing typing for taking on opposing Fighting-types. However, Espeon is much more common in this role, with Xatu really lacking the movepool to take advantage of any boosts it may acquire.

Espeon can also take on a more offensive role in the middle of a Baton Pass chain, with Stored Power's damage increasing depending on the number of boosts Espeon has, gaining an additional 20 BP for each boost.

[Image: 196.png]
Espeon @ Leftovers | Magic Bounce
Bold | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef | 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
Baton Pass | Calm Mind | Stored Power | Hidden Power [Fighting]

I could go on and on about the kinds of Pokémon that can pass on boosts well, but there are just too many to list. Other Pokémon such as Nasty Plot Celebi and Shell Smash Gorebyss are simply amazing for passing boosts, and both have extremely good typing, especially when used with each other. Celebi is a Pokémon that teams really should use, its Grass typing being very useful in general, and its bulk coming in handy at many points - being able to boost its SAtk as fast and reliably as it can is just a plus. Gorebyss, being a Water-type, has a great defensive typing, and can Baton Pass arguably the best boosting move in the game - Shell Smash - while being able to use it well offensively itself.

[Image: 251.png]
Celebi @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Bold | 236 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef / 16 Spd | 0 Atk
Recover | Psychic | Baton Pass | Nasty Plot

[Image: 368.png]
Gorebyss @ White Herb | Hydration
Calm | 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd | 0 Atk
Shell Smash | Baton Pass | Surf | Ice Beam

Scizor now deserves some kind of special mention here too, being a great Pokémon for both taking advantage of Baton Pass boosts - specifically to its Attack - and also boosting up with Iron Defense, which not many other Pokémon can do. Baton Pass teams usually lack some kind of Steel-type, which Scizor manages to make up for, more often than not. Great defensive typing gives it the ability to stay in for a good while, while having access to priority can also be invaluable.

[Image: 212.png]
Scizor @ Leftovers | Technician
Impish | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Roost | Iron Defense | Bullet Punch | Baton Pass

And now I come to my favourite part of talking about Baton Pass teams; the Baton Pass receiver. These kinds of teams generally don't include Steel-types at any point, so it is best for them to have some kind of Steel-type as the receiver - the incredibly defensive typing that they usually have also comes in handy, stopping anything that may attempt a last-ditch effort to take you and your boosts out.

So, offensive Steel-types that can take great advantage of a Baton Pass chain. I can think of two myself, both of which absolutely love rampaging around with a good number of boosts. Metagross and Lucario would all greatly appreciate boosts for ripping through opposing teams, with both being able to run amazing mixed sets to take advantage of every kind of boost, and get around both sides of defensive threats.

[Image: 376.png]
Metagross @ Life Orb | Clear Body
Naughty | 252 Atk / 228 SAtk / 24 Spd | 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
Meteor Mash | Hidden Power [Fire] | Grass Knot | Earthquake

Metagross is a fantastic choice, and my personal favourite when using this kind of team. A great defensive typing, an ability that prevents its stats from being lowered at all, and great stats make it a fantastic choice for receiving multiple boosts. With a decent SAtk stat, it can also take good advantage of any boosts to that side it may be given. Earthquake can be replaced with Zen Headbutt, taking advantage of its secondary STAB, but then it would have no way of muscling through Heatran, which resists all of its other moves easily.

[Image: 448.png]
Lucario @ Life Orb | Inner Focus
Rash | 32 Atk / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd | 30 Atk / 30 Def
Hidden Power [Ice] | Dark Pulse | Vacuum Wave | Close Combat

Though that's not to say that Steel-types are the only choice available. Hydreigon is a fantastic choice for receiving boosts, raising its already impressive stats to even higher levels. Being able to run a fantastic mixed set in OU as a part of normal teams, able to take on a great number of OU threats, having a Hydreigon with higher stats than the opponent can imagine must be a pretty terrifying thought. Though a more risky choice of receiver due to the high number of low-accuracy moves and moves with negative side-effects, it can definitely bring a simply insane amount of power to the late-game.

[Image: 635.png]
Hydreigon @ Life Orb | Levitate
Rash | 80 Atk / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Fire Blast | Dark Pulse | Focus Blast | Outrage

In early BW, the combination of Gorebyss and Nidoking was abused highly in a good number of teams. With their great synergy together, Nidoking's movepool and new ability in Sheer Force, it was able to do sheer amounts of damage when combined with a boost to SAtk and Speed and a Life Orb that does no damage to Nidoking. It still functions amazingly well in this role, still able to bring that much damage and pain to anything it faces. If given some extra boosts to its defensive stats, it should be able to take a great number of hits due to its great typing.

[Image: 034.png]
Nidoking @ Life Orb | Sheer Force
Modest | 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Earth Power | Sludge Wave | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam

Lastly, I'm going to give my opinion on one last Baton Pass receiver, and a Pokémon that terrorised the OU metagame back in Gen IV. Infernape has a great offensive typing, with STAB Fire-type and Fighting-type attacks, and great offensive stats in the first place. Still able to wreak havoc in the tier in Gen V, with boosts it can only get better.

[Image: 392.png]
Infernape @ Life Orb | Blaze
Rash | 160 Atk / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd | 30 Atk / 30 Def
Fire Blast | Grass Knot | Hidden Power [Ice] | Close Combat

Bear in mind that, yes, all of these Pokémon carry a Life Orb, and will take damage from it (bar Nidoking). They are meant to be bought out in the late-game, when they are passed boosts and appropriately set up. You are not going to be able to win a battle playing as if it's just a normal team, stall or otherwise, it's just not going to happen. Baton Pass is a risky strategy to play with, but definitely a great one if you can do it correctly.

So this is just a quick guide on Baton Pass teams, hope this can be of some use to you, man. If you're looking for some example teams or guides, then I can direct you to these; as far as example teams go, these two Smogon RMTs - Goddess Briyella's Chain Reaction and Kidogo's Passport to Victory are great teams to look at and take inspiration from, while Hiphiphooray's Baton Pass My A$$! is a decent enough guide.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
ninJAS
It's Commander Tresdin to you.

PokéDollars: ₪1,014.12
Veterans
05-06-2013, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM by ninJAS.)
Those are all great examples CP but I'm just going to throw in one more you didn't mention that is beyond devastating once it gets a SmashPass from Gorebyss.

[Image: 646-black.gif]
Kyurem-B @ Lum Berry/Leftovers | Teravolt
Rash | 84 Atk / 208 SpA / 216 SDef
Outrage/Dragon Claw | Fusion Bolt | Ice Beam | Earth Power

I've been working on building a team around this for a while now after seeing someone else battle with one similar and she was able to full sweep 6 different teams with it. She also used Substitute over Ice Beam on Gorebyss just so Scizor, Conkeldurr, Infernape, and pretty much anything else with a Fighting or Steel priority move couldn't end her sweep early.

I still think that having Kyurem-B in OU is beyond ridiculously stupid BUT if they are going to leave it there you might as well abuse it right?

[Image: 29pt9mp.jpg]

Thanks to Rouge007 for my lovely Tresdin Avatar and Signature ^^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can mean look be baton passed multiple times? 179charizard 4 665 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Last Post by Bordeaux
  Insane Baton pass team 179charizard 19 3,531 04-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Last Post by 179charizard