Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
best ability for gengar?
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

best ability for gengar?
Windy
Lady of the Wind

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
05-28-2013, 06:06 AM
I think a Prankster Gengar with Substitute, Disable, Protect, and Toxic would be interesting. I've always wondered how Gengar would be used of he had Prankster. Obviously this set is more for defensive/stally purposes Smile

[Image: 54vtpl.jpg]
teamplasma
^ ^ ^

PokéDollars: ₪4
Registered
05-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Yeah, but if he was taunted with that set, he would be trash. Maybe it should have Destiny Bond instead of Toxic and Shadow Ball instead of Protect, to give it extra power. Smile
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
05-28-2013, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2013, 08:50 AM by medicham.)
(05-28-2013, 06:06 AM)Windy Wrote: I think a Prankster Gengar with Substitute, Disable, Protect, and Toxic would be interesting. I've always wondered how Gengar would be used of he had Prankster. Obviously this set is more for defensive/stally purposes Smile

(05-28-2013, 06:44 AM)teamplasma Wrote: Yeah, but if he was taunted with that set, he would be trash. Maybe it should have Destiny Bond instead of Toxic and Shadow Ball instead of Protect, to give it extra power. Smile

i have to agree with TP on this one but it might work better for haunter with Eviolite but that might not work because Gengar and its stages are not very defensive or bulky enough to stall for long (not to mention the other stats that are lower in lower stages), at least not without a bunch of support that takes up valuable space on the team, one of which must be a skill swap user and even then it still is hard to do.

|ASB Profile|                              |Sprite Shop|                                                |RP Trainer Card|

[Image: gengarsig_zpsce68b465.jpg]
Rhapsody
has anyone seen my sanity

PokéDollars: ₪79.9
Registered
05-28-2013, 11:53 AM
(05-28-2013, 04:32 AM)gavisaurusrex Wrote:
(05-28-2013, 01:37 AM)Pyre Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 10:08 PM)gavisaurusrex Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 10:07 PM)Pyre Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 09:54 PM)gavisaurusrex Wrote: it works. i used skill swap i even tested it on my game in random double battle and it worked Big Grin

what strategy(ies) would you suggest?

I don't typically make strategies with hacked Pokemon.

it's not hacked. i am using skill swap

Which requires either extreme luck with your foe or a double battle. I used to do double battles all the time, but not lately.

how so? i am simply using skill swap on Gengar and or on another Pokemon on my team. despite making a chain i do not see where i need luck any more than any other type of battle. so what kind of strategies and abilities did you have in mind? i really could use the help since i am a bit lazy to look through them all. just in case you ask, yes, this works i have tested it

Because unless you're sure that your two Pokemon are extreme walls that can't be OHKO'd in one turn, then your strategy can quickly fall apart. Also, if an opposing Pokemon has Mummy and hits the Pokemon that isn't Gengar, you're crippled.

[Image: tXYu56.png]
Hana Song
DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

PokéDollars: ₪16.92
Registered
05-28-2013, 12:12 PM
(05-28-2013, 06:06 AM)Windy Wrote: I think a Prankster Gengar with Substitute, Disable, Protect, and Toxic would be interesting. I've always wondered how Gengar would be used of he had Prankster. Obviously this set is more for defensive/stally purposes Smile

(05-28-2013, 06:44 AM)teamplasma Wrote: Yeah, but if he was taunted with that set, he would be trash. Maybe it should have Destiny Bond instead of Toxic and Shadow Ball instead of Protect, to give it extra power. Smile

Actually, I'm with Windy on this one, Prankster would be amazing for a SubDisable or SubSplit set. Shadow Ball for damage is a good move, though I don't understand why you're saying that a Gengar like the would fear Taunt at all - you're going to have priority, therefore able to set up Substitutes that can block Taunt. Even if the opposing Pokémon has Truant, you're most likely going to outspeed them anyway due to Gengar's high natural Speed. It could also give you scope against things that usually threaten Gengar with priority moves - Scizor, mostly.

Though if you want to go for an ability that is for pure offense, then I suppose Speed Boost or Adaptability could work? Speed Boost raising its already impressive Speed and allowing it to outspeed even more Scarfed threats, and Adaptability powering up Shadow Ball and being a good reason to use a Poison-type move - Poison isn't a great offensive move, but not much actually resists it, it has decent neutral coverage.

[Image: VN3xUdv.png]

anxiety trip
Windy
Lady of the Wind

PokéDollars: ₪0
Registered
05-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Every Pokemon set has its counters and so does this one. I just thought Prankster would be interesting on a more stallish set. Offensively though its best ability Swift Swim to abuse rain an use thunder or or Speed Boost as Cyborg Pride said Smile

[Image: 54vtpl.jpg]
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

Registered
05-29-2013, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2013, 01:38 AM by medicham.)
(05-28-2013, 11:53 AM)Pyre Wrote: Because unless you're sure that your two Pokemon are extreme walls that can't be OHKO'd in one turn, then your strategy can quickly fall apart. Also, if an opposing Pokemon has Mummy and hits the Pokemon that isn't Gengar, you're crippled.

i will use the focus sash if need be and i use bulky Pokemon sometimes because of priority moves that make the focus sash pointless (i may use trick room when necessary; trick room works great with hammer arm, bulk up, curse and other moves like that) or Pokemon that can out speed for sure with or without the the choice scarf. i do have a potential speed tank (Celebi) i can use not to mention the scary baton pass sweeper (speed boost Blaziken) i have that can raise speed, attack, all in one turn safely and pass to a receiver of skill swap without fear of any 1HKO. it limits the moves the baton pass sweeper can use but that is okay because i chose a powerful move with recoil. recoil does not matter because i can use a magic guard skill swap user and if not it is okay, speed boost Blaziken still does not have to worry about 1HKO especially with the focus sash. there are many more combinations that could work

(05-28-2013, 12:12 PM)Cyborg Pride Wrote:
Actually, I'm with Windy on this one, Prankster would be amazing for a SubDisable or SubSplit set. Shadow Ball for damage is a good move, though I don't understand why you're saying that a Gengar like the would fear Taunt at all - you're going to have priority, therefore able to set up Substitutes that can block Taunt. Even if the opposing Pokémon has Truant, you're most likely going to outspeed them anyway due to Gengar's high natural Speed. It could also give you scope against things that usually threaten Gengar with priority moves - Scizor, mostly.

Though if you want to go for an ability that is for pure offense, then I suppose Speed Boost or Adaptability could work? Speed Boost raising its already impressive Speed and allowing it to outspeed even more Scarfed threats, and Adaptability powering up Shadow Ball and being a good reason to use a Poison-type move - Poison isn't a great offensive move, but not much actually resists it, it has decent neutral coverage.

(05-28-2013, 09:49 PM)Windy Wrote: Every Pokemon set has its counters and so does this one. I just thought Prankster would be interesting on a more stallish set. Offensively though its best ability Swift Swim to abuse rain an use thunder or or Speed Boost as Cyborg Pride said Smile

swift swim and thunder is a great idea in my opinion. thanks for pointing that out CP, i am always too quick to judge before fully analyzing. all of you guys have fantastic ideas and i appreciate your input

|ASB Profile|                              |Sprite Shop|                                                |RP Trainer Card|

Rhapsody
has anyone seen my sanity

PokéDollars: ₪79.9
Registered
05-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Entry hazards break your sash.

I'm not stating to not use the strategy. I'm stating that said strategy can be very fragile depending on the two Pokemon you use and the Pokemon your for uses against you.

[Image: tXYu56.png]
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

Registered
05-29-2013, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2013, 07:38 AM by medicham.)
(05-29-2013, 07:01 AM)Pyre Wrote: Entry hazards break your sash.

I'm not stating to not use the strategy. I'm stating that said strategy can be very fragile depending on the two Pokemon you use and the Pokemon your for uses against you.

entry hazards are not a big problem with magic guard. and i won't have to deal with entry hazards unless they use roar or whirlwind, because the set up starts with the first Pokemon i send out. i also have other Pokemon that should have no problems taking out threats like that and Pokemon in general. but the Pokemon that use those moves are usually pretty easy to beat. there is a way to counter everything, some easier than others. i absolutely agree with you but i will definitely review and go over everything i can when i make a team to be safe and thorough. i already posted a skill swap team in a thread and might go back and review again even when i build the team and test it and start competitive battling. i am changing my mind about the slaking combo because truant takes effect immediately after using skill swap. i might not do the whole speed boost or another chain, but i could just get rid of truant and continue the rest of the strategy from there. i may have already mentioned this in a reply to my thread. thank you for all the warnings and advice

medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

Registered
05-30-2013, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2013, 12:24 AM by medicham.)
(05-28-2013, 11:53 AM)Pyre Wrote: Because unless you're sure that your two Pokemon are extreme walls that can't be OHKO'd in one turn, then your strategy can quickly fall apart. Also, if an opposing Pokemon has Mummy and hits the Pokemon that isn't Gengar, you're crippled.

last minute correction. mummy only activates if the Pokemon with the ability is touched (hit with a physical move). oh yeah and i forgot Gengar can also learn skill swap, which makes it easier to set up because less turns are used. Gengar smashes the only Pokemon with mummy. and i can't see someone wasting time to skill swap mummy when there are much more effective abilities. but if that becomes the case i am still okay because i can use special attacks from a mixed and or special attack sweeper will take care of the job. or just take it out and not use a Pokemon apart of the skill swap chain to deal with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gengar sweep? medicham 4 1,555 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Last Post by ninJAS