Dismiss this notice
Hello there, trainer! Welcome to PokéSun! Login or Register to join in with our family! From Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon discussions, to competitive play, battles and trades, roleplaying, general talk, and much more! Register today, and join us under the shining, tropical Sun!
skill swap team
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

skill swap team
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

PokéDollars: ₪2
Registered
05-26-2013, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2013, 12:04 AM by medicham.)
Skill Swap Team
.... and i thought baton pass was scary

Abilities to transfer: truant, speed boost, magic bounce, magic guard, scrappy and many more
CANNOT be swapped: wonder guard, Illusion Multitype and the current ability as the user

Simple skill swap chain example
[Image: ninjaslackingzamsprite_zpsa94e541c.png]
Alakazam + Ninjask (speed boost) = Alakazam (speed boost)
Alakazam (speed boost) + Slacking (Truant) = Slacking (speed boost)
^ slacking could have received a baton pass but that would waste time and risk breaking the chain
Alakazam (truant) + opponent (both Pokémon must use protect every other turn) = walled
Or just switch Alakazam out ≠ walled

*Now would be a good time to reset Alakazam's ability by switching or using skill swap on the opponent to give them truant on the next turn, if followed by protect then that Pokémon will be completely walled.*

In this example you can still baton pass the boost you get from speed boost while keeping the ability on field however the ability will become normal if the Pokémon faints or switches. Which also means you can get use Ninjask for speed boost again and Alakazam with speed boost or transfer it to another Pokémon.

Combos:

Levitate + Electric type
this last longer than a ballon or the move magnet rise

Flash fire + bug/steel type
no more weaknesses!

Truant + opponent+ Protect and then attack
i mentioned this in the example

Any ability (other than truant) + Slacking
just about anything works

Water absorb + rock, fire or ground type
too bad no Pokemon is only weak to water (actually that is a good thing as you will see in another combo)

Lightning rod + water or flying type
not the most ground breaking combo

Drizzle, snow warning, drought or sand stream + teammate (pointless with air lock) = weather reactivation
a nice way to keep the weather going if you can support it

Scrappy + normal type moves (works for FEAR), rapid spin, and extreme speed
i can see why the ghost busters retired ^

Sticky hold (prevents item theft or knocks off, like trick)
this is great for stopping choice locks

Tinted lens + many attackers
every sweeper could use this

Shed skin + sweeper
this is nice when for when your lum berry is gone

Adaptability + STAB (OUTRAGE!)
i could have used this for my dragonite team not to mention the other possibilities it could be used for

Download + mixed sweepers
this makes mixed sweepers like kingdra (first one that came to mind) much more versitile

Solid rock + Pokémon with several weaknesses (Tyranitar is a beast!)
this is why it is good that no Pokemon is weak to only water.

Magic guard + bulky set up (or something, the life orb works nicely)
celebi was recommended to receive this and i agree

Simple (2x stat boost) + stat boost (this combo is deadly on sweepers and makes just about any Pokémon greater)

Shadow tag + (bulky) perish song user
muhahahaha! Big Grin

Huge power*/pure power + physical attack *huge power is questionable*
if you know about the mechanics of this in 3rd through 5 and even 6th gen please let me know. i just want to know about 5th gen

Poison heal + bulky Pokémon (high Hp and facade make for a nice combo so Snorlax is in)

Unaware + special attacker (or something with like Metagross with high defenses and good special defense)

Compound eyes (1.3 × accuracy boosts, 1.4 × accurate with wide lens) + Hydro pump, blizzard, thunder, fire blast, focus blast, aqua tail, not to mention hone claws.

Mold breaker + move easily walled by abilities (earthquake, status infliction, stat reduction, fire moves, water moves, entry hazards and indirect damage) *this is also great for killing Shedinja

Clear body + stat boost or stat spammers

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue7/abilities (i put this here because i am just giving credit and not advertising another forum) where I found a lot of these ideas

Threats
Same threats as baton pass but including moves and abilities that affect abilities or change them, such as gastro acid, mold breaker, mummy. Because there are so many threats to a skill swap chain it is easy to see why there is not some huge revolution in meta-game. however because i see the potential damage one could do with such Pokemon i am afraid to ever leave my house again now that i posted this thread. also i made this going on two days without sleep so if i make typos and several mistakes please excuse me or let me know if it is misleading or confusing.

|ASB Profile|                              |Sprite Shop|                                                |RP Trainer Card|

[Image: gengarsig_zpsce68b465.jpg]
Rhapsody
has anyone seen my sanity

PokéDollars: ₪79.9
Registered
05-26-2013, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2013, 03:57 PM by Rhapsody.)
A Skill Swap team is an interesting concept, and is used sometimes, but it's extremely luck-dependent, which doesn't always cut it, especially in higher tiers. If one of the Pokemon unexpectedly faints you're basically boned (at least for that combo, I suppose). With some work it can work fine, but otherwise, it's not something I would use. It takes a lot of work to get it to work perfectly, and make it so that most of your Pokemon can easily deal with the ability of any of the other five or four.

[Image: tXYu56.png]
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

Registered
05-26-2013, 04:21 PM
i know it can be very risky but if i get enough experience maybe i can master the set up on any tier. easier said than done because i am not sure if there is an uber skill swap user but i don't know if there really needs to be, but if i can do that then mastering baton pass with just be second nature. i wonder if i can get more people to post on this because i really see some awesome potential with all the possible combos one could pull off. removing truant is the easiest combo but mastering successful chains (a chain is only as strong as its weakest link really applies here) will take some practice and a lot of skill on my part. it certainly seems possible if you ask me. i was amazed by how much i undermined all of the many abilities there were and now i will never underestimate anything or at least not without a little suspicion first.

|ASB Profile|                              |Sprite Shop|                                                |RP Trainer Card|

Rhapsody
has anyone seen my sanity

PokéDollars: ₪79.9
Registered
05-26-2013, 04:27 PM
(05-26-2013, 04:21 PM)gavisaurusrex Wrote: i know it can be very risky but if i get enough experience maybe i can master the set up on any tier. easier said than done because i am not sure if there is an uber skill swap user but i don't know if there really needs to be, but if i can do that then mastering baton pass with just be second nature. i wonder if i can get more people to post on this because i really see some awesome potential with all the possible combos one could pull off. removing truant is the easiest combo but mastering successful chains (a chain is only as strong as its weakest link really applies here) will take some practice and a lot of skill on my part. it certainly seems possible if you ask me. i was amazed by how much i undermined all of the many abilities there were and now i will never underestimate anything or at least not without a little suspicion first.

Plainly using this as a small part in your team is fine, and that won't completely wreck your strategy (usually). If you build an entire team based around it, though, you're pretty much asking for trouble.

[Image: tXYu56.png]
medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

Registered
05-26-2013, 05:17 PM
(05-26-2013, 04:27 PM)Pyre Wrote: Plainly using this as a small part in your team is fine, and that won't completely wreck your strategy (usually). If you build an entire team based around it, though, you're pretty much asking for trouble.

right. i will just try to pull off one chain and have another independent strategy that does not totally rely on pulling off the chain, however it should still be able to benefit from it at the same time. if i can do that then i think i am safe and that much more better off if i can master skill swapping.

medicham
妖怪 (Yōkai)

Registered
05-26-2013, 06:39 PM
(05-26-2013, 03:57 PM)Pyre Wrote: A Skill Swap team is an interesting concept, and is used sometimes, but it's extremely luck-dependent, which doesn't always cut it, especially in higher tiers. If one of the Pokemon unexpectedly faints you're basically boned (at least for that combo, I suppose). With some work it can work fine, but otherwise, it's not something I would use. It takes a lot of work to get it to work perfectly, and make it so that most of your Pokemon can easily deal with the ability of any of the other five or four.

i forgot to mention that some of the skill swap combos/chains only take one turn. i guess i will make another thread later over a specific team

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mono-Type Team Building Guide jeremy death 0 1,688 08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Last Post by jeremy death
  Battle frontier team suggestions? medicham 0 594 10-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Last Post by medicham
  Team improvements? medicham 9 1,395 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post by medicham
  [RMP] An Unusual Part of a TR Team Rhapsody 9 1,081 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Last Post by Rhapsody